What's new

HTF Jazz Club (1 Viewer)

Tim Campbell

Agent
Kind of Blue is an album that every human being should own. It can make you cry. The most amazing things is that Miles came into the studio with the other artists. He quickly explained the structures of the songs and what he wanted to get accomplished. Then they just played. A few days later, off the tops of their heads, they finished the best, most well know Jazz album of all time.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Just wanted to say, what a great idea this is. I'm definitely going to participate when I can.
I will start by adding some thoughts concerning Kind Of Blue. There is no doubt that this is one of the greatest pieces of music of all time. I know of no one who has listened to this and didn't like it. And I can tell you, I know a lot of people who have heard it. It's sublime (to borrow a previous comment) gorgeous, innovative and historical.
In the movie 'Pleasantville', there is a scene where many of the kids are in the local soda shop. Things are changing around them and they confront Toby MgGuires' character about their new experiences and surroundings. I think it's very appropriate that two pieces of music were chosen to accentuate this mood. Take Five by Dave Brubeck and more importantly So What from Kind of Blue. These jazz pieces were new and exciting when they were released. No one had really heard anything quite like them before. Very appropo to use them in this movie, during that scene.
Next, I went out and purchased My Favorite Things by John Coltrane. I must admit that I haven't been able to reach Mr. Coltranes comprehension level yet based on previous listening experiences.
Most of his stuff is very experimental and atonal. A Love Supreme is an example of something that straddles the world of experimentation and more traditional sounding jazz and does the job beautifully.
But I had a feeling that this one would be more melodic and I was right. This one was more accessible than many of his other works and is a great intro to the world of Mr. Coltrane. He is a tremendous musician and everyone needs to experience him.
I was also very pleased to see McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones' names in the credits. I'm a big fan of both of them and neither disappointed on this disc.
Thanks for listening everyone, hope to write more later about some of the other stuff on the list.
Rick

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
But I had a feeling that this one would be more melodic and I was right. This one was more accessible than many of his other works and is a great intro to the world of Mr. Coltrane. He is a tremendous musician and everyone needs to experince him.
Yep, that's why I chose it. It's also a prime showcase for the idiom of jazz- amazing how one can turn a silly little song like My Favorite Things into a classic composition that's studied by musicians and enjoyed by listeners to this day. To quote an ex-girlfriend, "I'm not supposed to like this, but I do."

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Rick,

Do you have McCoy Tyner's New York Reunion from Chesky? It is great on either regular or Super Audio CD.

I worked as a second engineer on this album. It was particularly fun working with Joe Henderson.

Try the Ask Me Now track from Thelonious Monk. This track started out as a showcase for McCoy Tyner and Joe Henderson just took over. It was one of those magical moments in the studio where one just tries to get out of the way but still capture the sonics. We were all in the booth shaking our heads at each other in amazement.

There is something special about jazz musicians in my opinion. They are doing what they love to do and they have fun and they treat people right. It is less about being a star placed on a pinnacle, and more about sharing musical ideas and viewpoints. There is a long-term relationship among jazz artists and genuine excitement when one does well. I don't see this in pop music and much of rock and I think it leads to a lack of innovation and lack of music that excites me personally.

I think this ultimately filters cleanly into the music and that is what give jazz a special quality.

Lee

P.S. Wow, this post veered a bit off topic!...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Lee, man, now you gotta provide us with more jazz recording stories.

Joe Henderson is great. Along with Hank Mobley, one of the top under-appreciated saxophonists of the bost-bop era.

And of course, Tyner- this is a cat everyone should see live. He is touring right now. I dragged my poor girlfriend along to this, and even she liked it.

Speaking of which- with all of this talk of buying albums and such, something very important got left out- live performance. While listening to CDs is great, it is not what jazz is all about. This is a players' music, and it must be experienced in person. Whether it's a legendary musician or some small club- it doesn't matter. You get an improvisation that's only for you- then it's gone. This is the magic of the music.

Of all my "recommendations" in this thread, the most important one is to go see some performances.

NP: Poncho Sanchez- Soul of the Conga

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many live jazz performances. I used to live in the SF Bay area and didn't take advantage of Yoshi's (a great sushi/jazz nightclub) in Oakland enough.
But last year I was in Austin for SXSW and went to a place called The One World Theater and saw Chucho Valdez. He's a Cuban born Latin jazz pianist. Simply wonderful performance. You really can't beat live jazz compared to the CD/Album version.
Lee,
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to go out and get that. It'll probably have to wait until I get back from Austin this next week. Another installment of SXSW! Can't wait for that.
Later, Rick

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, great job on outlining and describing the musicians and records you've picked. I'd like to suggest for the next round, some Cannonball Adderley (Mercy Mercy Mercy or In San Francisco; Something Else is great but practically KoB 2 and not a prototypical Cannonball) and either Mingus (Ah Um or Mingus^5) or Sonny Rollins (Saxophone Collossus, natch).
And the point about seeing it live can't be emphasized enough. I've had friends suddenly "get it" because of the energy and visual element of live shows, and it makes a big difference when you go back to the records.
Also, I see my old friend Bob Turnbull chipped in:
That drummer was Terri Lynne Carrington, and she was amazing, almost Elvin Jones when she wants. That was a great set! It's interesting to see in the last decade several fantastic female drummers emerge in jazz (Cindy Blackman, Susie Ibarra). Soooo many great musicians out there, so little time!

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Rick wrote:
IMO, Chucho Valdes has really exploded in this country in the last 5 years. He's always been a great player but because of his Cuban roots had difficulties getting recognition. (For an HT angle on this watch the movie "For Love Or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story" for a picture of what it's been like for Cuban jazz musicians.) Check out his albums Bele Bele En la Habana or Live at the Village Vanguard, both are highly recommended. Chucho is a great example of a jazz musician who's able to integrate his own background with all the history of jazz from Bud Powell to Cecil Taylor and do his own thing. The guy's an absolute treasure, just amazing and invigorating.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Paul, you happened to list all three, and the only three Cannonball albums I have, except I also have one with Bill Evans.
And don't worry: I wouldn't be recommending jazz albums without including Charles Mingus. He is my single favorite musician of all time.
You seem to be well-informed on current jazz. I would like to include some of that here, but I don't really follow it. Any input on that would be great.
I did watch that movie about Arturo Sandoval. I do want to see it again, though, because since then, I've been listening to a lot of Dizzy Gillespie, Sandoval, Poncho Sanchez, Carl Tjader, Paquito D'Rivera, and Irakere. I'll have a greater appreciation for all the references they make, like Chano Pozo and such.
However, isn't it a bit flattering to have cast Andy Garcia as Sandoval? ;)
Lately I've been getting into Latin jazz, so Chucho Valdez is on the List.
NP: Santana, Abraxas, SACD

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Man,
So glad there are people on this forum who like Chucho! And, Mike I guarantee you'll love his stuff. I only have 2 of his CDs presently; Solo Piano and Briyumba Palo Congo (Religion of the Congo). They're both excellent, but 'Solo' really got to me the best. I will be picking up some more stuff based on Paul's recommendation.
However it will have to wait until after SXSW this week. A lot of my CD money will be spent on some new artist stuff at the festival. Should be great!
Later, Rick

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up Chucho Valdez: Bele Bele en La Nabana (as if I wasn't spending enough money already, you people have to make me spend more). This is definitely my kind of thing. Virtuoso piano and latin percussion. How can you go wrong?

So, anyone pick up either of this month's club items?

NP: Duh, Chucho of course

James RD

Supporting Actor
I picked up "Full House" by Wes Montgomery. He was already on my shopping list. Great recommendation, Mike. Thanks!

A couple of my own recommendations:

"Nocturne" - Charlie Haden

"Easy Go" - John McLean

"Calle 54" - DVD (or CD)

"Nocturne" is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. Simply gorgeous. McLean is a wonderful guitarist, probably best known for his work with Patricia Barber. This is his first solo album. Excellent.

If you love jazz, especially Latin jazz, rent (Netflix has it) or buy "Calle 54".

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I was just curious is anyone got any Dizzy Gillespie. I guess this post is a "bump." I know, poor messageboard etiquette. Eh.

Let me know if y'all are still interested in more recommendations for next week.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Just acquired, 'Bird & Diz' and 'Birk's Works'. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but will try and give some thoughts in a few days.

Got back from SXSW and had a great time. I posted a preliminary review, but only got one response. Maybe I'll try and give some more thoughts on that again later.

Rick

NP: The Meat Purveyors - "Sweet in the Pants"

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Lester Young or Coleman Hawkins recommendations would do nicely? The only CD I have from either of these artists is "Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio". Great album BTW.

Wade

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wade, unfortunately, I don't have much from them.
Lester Young
Definitely a master, no question, but my tastes tend to shy away from ballads and such. He had possibly the most beautiful tone on an alto. Players like him and Stan Getz, while I appreciate and admire their playing, don't effect me as much as some other players. Its just a matter of preference.
I have this:
Lester Swings
It's just a compilation of tracks taken from a box set.
It should be noted that Lester's most influential work was as a sideman: first in Count Basie's band, than with Billie Holiday.
Coleman Hawkins:
You're right, he should be included in the HTF Jazz Club. He is considered the first sax star and possibly did more for the saxaphone than anyone else. I definitelty need to get more of his music.
I have:
Body and Soul
A compilation of singles from RCA, including his legendary performance of Body and Soul.
w/ Ben Websters
I picked this one up on a whim. Not essential, but a pleasant listen. Just two great players blowin' some nice, swinging jazz.
Flies High
A straight ahead set.
The problem with selecting older material is that it's all compilations, so it's very difficult to select which one is the best. These songs were recorded as singles, so there aren't definitive albums as there are for the later albums. If you look at my failed attempt to recommend Count Basie, you see a good example of this.
The Ken Burns Jazz series of CDs are not bad compilations. They manage to get material from different record labels and master the recordings very well.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

Just listened to 'Bird & Diz'. What wonderful stuff! I really like the tradeoff of sax to trumpet. Two tremendous masters having a great time. Can't wait to listen to 'Birk's Works.'

NP - Libbi Bosworth : "Libbiville"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks