HTF in today's Wall Street Journal!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Taylor, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

If this is the incorrect place to post this, please move it...but I was reading an article in today's (1/4/2002) WSJ about how people are more and more installing home theaters in their house. At the top of the fourth column it says "stoking the popularity (of HT's) is a swelter of discussion groups, such as the Home Theater Forum website, where do-it-yourselfers swap tips on finding theater seats and calibrating film projectors."
    How cool is that!!! If this has already been posted 200 times, please excuse the 201st.
    [​IMG]
    Matt

2. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Hey, and I'm right up there in the top of that story! [​IMG]
    And Bob Fowkes' wonderful theater is shown in a nice (but small) color photo on the section front, which is used to tease to the story inside.
    Just wish I really did have the $15,000 to spend on my theater that the writer said I said I spent. $7,500 is more like what I have in mine, since I've got plenty of used stuff in there and did all the work myself and the shell of my room already existed. Of course, I'm not finished spending money yet, so maybe I'll get there one day. [​IMG]
    This is good exposure for HTF, I think. The article doesn't list the URL, but folks should be able to figure it out.

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

And to think, we knew you back before you were considered wealthy! [​IMG]
    Pete

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Uh oh, some HTF members are acquiring celebrity status. Hope this doesn't lead to "user envy" on the board! [​IMG]

5. Mike Brantley

I just read the "well-to-do" part in the story again, and I had to chuckle. My wife and I stopped at Winn Dixie on the way into the office to buy a copy of The Wall Street Journal to read the story, and we didn't have enough change to buy the paper! We had 75 cents, but not the dollar.
    That's what happens when all your cashflow goes into a home theater and the DVDs to drive it. [​IMG]
    Hey, Pete... You're in Daphne. Small world, isn't it?

6. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I'm the person who has the kids in the photo! They are VERY excited about it. I've posted the scan of the picture and my small blurb at my web site
    I have another thread here, one at AVSForum and one at the Dallas Home Theater Group (DHTG) site also mentioned in the article [​IMG]

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Cool stuff guys.

Parker

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Incidently, the writer, Pooja Bhatia is a woman, not a man (very nice person) and when I was first contacted by her I led her to the HTF and told her to surf and contact people. Looks like she did her homework regarding this. Most of these pieces are nothing more than the usual "fluff" and we HT owners come off as some eccentric weirdos (no comments, please.)
    This article at least goes into the rationale behind HT. Hopefully it will get even more people involved (this is a good thing). And, hey, I'm going to frame that color front page. How many people get a color picture of their HT used as a "teaser" for a respected publication?
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Brantley

Robert, yep, Pooja did a nice job. I was just reading over my comments above and feared they might be read in something less than a positive light. If that's the case, I surely didn't mean it that way.
    Besides, the average WSJ reader probably has way more spending cash for this sort of hobby than I do. [​IMG]
    By the way, when Pooja first contacted me for this story I learned that she used to work at the same Alabama newspaper I worked at about 10 years ago -- The Anniston Star. The world just keeps getting smaller. Unfortunately, we both moved through those parts at different times.

10. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I'll have to try to get a copy of this issue.
    Just another reason to be a proud member of the HTF. [​IMG]
    Jon