1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF HD-DVD Review: The Hurricane

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    [​IMG]

2. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Ugh. Is that necessary?

4. RobertR

Your response to the stating of facts is "ugh"?

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

No, my response of 'ugh' is directed at someone trying to bring what they believe about a real life case in a thread about a movie. If you want to say how guilty Ruben Carter is or how Oswald killed JFK, start a thread about it in the After Hours section.

6. RobertR

The review stated the movie is about the search for "truth", and I simply pointed out the film contains factual errors. Saying it's "only a movie" doesn't change that fact, nor does it change the fact that the movie is about a real life case.

7. miranda_y

miranda_y Auditioning

Miranda Young
    I second Travis' ugh.

8. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Not that I wish to get into a debate about the factual merits of the film, since I state that the film is "of a heartbreaking and brave struggle to let the truth be known and a man to be set free" - because that is what the film's story is about - but I don't ever consider a film about a real event to represent the facts without reproach. On the other hand, for just about any subject for which I have an interest or passion, I do alot of reading/research and am able to find 'point' and 'counterpoint' - simply finding sites that spout information on a common thread does not make it true - just as a hollywood film will bend, omit and otherwise change up things to achieve the ultimate aim, entertainment and money.

For the record, I 'feel' that the events of Rubin's past could be grossly mischaracterized, especially given the racially tumultuous times in which many of the events (listed on the the sites Robert provded) took place.

Regardless of any of that, however, the film is a brutal reminder of just how grossly unfair the criminal justice sytem has been and still is. That is a fact that should not get lost in the debate over whether the film was as 'true' as it could have been.

Thanks!