What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Of course I've stopped a DVD mid-way through. I've even paused them once or twice. Golly. But I've never veered off to watch a 90 minute documentary about the making of the film whilst watching it, which was the point I was trying to make.

Okay, I agree that certain special features that relate to specific scenes in the film *could* be optionally accessed from within the film, but I don't see this as any different to the "Follow The White Rabbit" type features on standard DVD. Presumably some sort of icon would come up indicating that you can branch.

Of course if you start to get TOO clever with these branching/incorporated documentaries and other whizzy features you run the risk of completely corrupting playback of the actual movie. Look no further than New Line's recent FINAL DESTINATION 3 to see what happens when a DVD manufacturer tries to be TOO clever!!

I also agree that scene selection could be accessed optionally from within the film. I'd group this together with audio/subtitle changes. These three elements are key to the navigation and playback of the movie itself, as opposed to things which take you OUT of it. However, all three of these must be accessible/changable from regular disc menus too.

Of course I want things to be better than before. Picture quality. Sound quality. More space. I love things to improve when those improvements make sense. I thought that was why people were upgrading to HD... not to play with new gadgets. Or was I wrong?

No, I don't have HD. I live in the UK. D'oh! But that shouldn't stop me, or others, from commenting on the new format. You don't have to see it to know that some of this stuff is RUBBISH!

John

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

because it serves no purpose for you it certainly isnt rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks