What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Happy Feet *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED* (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I hope :)
as that rumour around...... LOTR in 7.1 ;)
one can dream........ ;)
and sorry for off topic ;)

Marek

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Thanksfor the review.

This is a much anticipated title for me, and I will guarantee that any fan of animated feature length movies will love this one. The detail was astonishing and the sound track absolutley amazing.

Can't wait!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Neil, thanks for the review, you are right, this disc is amazing. Well the HD DVD may have the better sound (not much difference actually), but after comparing both hd-dvd versions and the blu-ray version, the blu-ray is cleaner, more vivid, cleaner and brighter colors and looks much better on my Sony projector than the hd-dvd. I also tried my monitor, same results. The hd-dvd is still stunning and by no means am I telling anyone not to purchase it, this is my visual opinion and that of a friend who is a video expert, we watched and compared both versions this evening, in one test side-by-side, but the pressing of the blu-ray version is definately better. Anyone else compared this yet? (I just happen to get both formats, I won the hd-dvd in a contest and had pre-ordered the blu-ray).

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I watched the BD tonight. The 640K DD track was quite good, when ice started cracking my dogs took notice. :) Too bad Warner couldn't be bothered to give it a lossless track though.

I didn't particularly care for the movie overall - it was cute and worth the rental but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Certainly possible...but your review is the only one on the net saying such. Everything I've read says indentical video....but glad the BD looks great on your rig.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It's possible no HD DVD player has 7.1 capability at this time. Remember the A1 was updated from 2.0 to 5.1 support fairly recently. It may require yet another update for 7.1 (if possible, the Tosh's only have 5.1 analog out)...AFAIK only the Panasonic BD player has 7.1 analog out. The PS3 is 7.1 TrueHD capable thru HDMI.

It may also be a bandwidth issue since 7.1 will require a couple more megabits.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Peter it is possible that Toshiba can put 7.1 also through hdmi, but I never found any info about that....

sorry for off topic...
and Peter, any info about hdmi1.3 receivers ? so far I found sherwood due to release in august hmm, and my receiver is just dying :frowning: so probably I will take denon 2807 hmm

Marek

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
How was this film presented in theaters? If the original audio mix was 5.1 channels, then that's what I want from my home theatre presentation as well.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Denon has new ones coming but not in a faster timeframe.

If history is correct then you should see new Pioneer Elite receivers around the same time frame as well(august).

The Sherwood looks to be the one worth waiting for(upgradable, good support, will meet it's specs unlike the Denon, scaler(unless you want to spend alot more), and 6 hdmi ins(which is 2 more than the 3808).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I've still got my trusty ole Pioneer Elite THX Ultra reciever from late 1998. :)...No hdmi but does have the external decoder inputs that I used for my A1 analogue outs.

Back to Happy Feet
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
...this HD DVD title really is garnering great pub for it's image and sound. Man I look forward to this arriving at my door in a couple of days.

One of those blind buys that come highly recommended. :)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

thanx for info !!, august is too far away I am afraid :frowning: with receiver switch off 20times due any stronger sound impuls :frowning: my old yamaha 496 is just ready for immediately replacement hmm

it's a big pitty that Warner did not put PCM on blu-ray version hmm, what a shame hmmm

can't wait to see that 10/10 PICTURE :) of Happy Feat....

Marek

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Nothing as of yet. Just Denon's CES announcement. I still think everyone's waiting for DTS to get their s*** together and provide a proper decoding solution.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
same here about DTS, and waiting for firmware update on PS3 to get DTS HD MASTER decoding....

Marek

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

While in the early days of these formats, certainly the consistancy of HD DVD was much better than BD. That is no longer the case. Being in the position of supporting both camps I have viewed many films in both their BD and HD releases and have come to the following conculsion. Pressing done in HD and BD from the same encode have virtually no noticable differences. For the most part, any difference can probably be contirbuted to hardware, cables or one personal likes or dislikes.

I am not saying that you may have noticed a difference in the BD and HD releases, but I doubt there really is. The reviews on PQ from almost all sources, and there are many, make no distinction between them, and after viewing the HD release on my Toshiba XA2, I personally don't see how you could improve the picture in the least bit.

Both the BD (according to reviews) and HD versions have exceptional PQ.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Very interesting. I often wonder why review sites don't do side by side comparisons on these dual format titles. The results may be too disturbing for some I suppose. ;)

Was planning on renting this as Warner screwed us on the audio, however I'll probably pick up the Blu-Ray now for the superior PQ. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

MarekM

Supporting Actor

thanx Thomas, that's all what we know so far :frowning:

3808ci and 4308ci in july, others like 2808 in september...., I am fighting to wait with my dying receiver :frowning: or to take 2807 receiver now hmm

marek

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Most of the major sites have done side by side reviews, but now oinly do it when there is a difference between the two. No comparison made in the review, no difference in the PQ. In the case of Happy Feet, only SQ seems to be consistantly compared, due most likely to the lack of TrueHD on the BD side of the house.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Robert,

Which model HD DVD and Blu-ray players are you using, also the model of your Sony projector?

Would like to check this out with my settup.

Thanks,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks