What's new

DVD Review HTF HD DVD REVIEW: Grand Prix (RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Nice review, Herb. This is one is coming up in my Netflix queue, looking forward to watching it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Herb,

Just wondering why the surprise re: 5.1, quality of audio and no mono.

This was originally a beautiful 6-track magnetic mix.

RAH

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I sure enjoyed this disc! It's a winner and gets my checkered flag. Sorry for being so punny. Viva Warner Brudders!

Dave>h

Second Unit
Watched this over the weekend.

The racing sequences were a true joy to behold. Hanging off the side mirror flying through the narrow streets of Monaco at 150 Mph on a 61" inch screen was a home theater expereince not to be missed.

Simply incredibly photography and excellent sound (for a 40 year old film).

Thanks to both you and Robert Harris for recommending it. Doubt I would have purchased it otherwise but very glad I did.

Regards,

Dave

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
While I'd only give the movie itself 2 stars out of 4, this large format film looks absolutely *smashing* on HD-DVD. Holy smokes, what a richly detailed image! Even my wife, who so far has been ho-hum about high-def, was glued to the screen and every few minutes let out an exclamation about how amazing it looked.

I say bring on more HD-DVD 65mm/70mm classics! Imagine a state-of-the-art high-def transfer of "2001: A Space Odyssey" struck from a 70mm source... :D

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
For someone with interest to F1 this is a must. Sure the story isn't all that but it's the racing and the history in this film that are absolutely great. Not to speak of the picture quality, not many believed when I told we were watching a 40 year old movie.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Now the only way to shock 'em is to show 'em the nearly 70 year old Adventures Of Robin Hood....which shows it's age a bit more but stille looks utterly stunning.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Finally spun this. I've been remiss in not seeing it earlier--it was great to finally see Frankenheimer's precursor to Ronin after enthusing over the car action in that pic for the past 10 years.

The 29-minute "Pushing the Limit: The Making Of GRAND PRIX" docu is terrif also. It addressed several production questions I had--how JF got driver/Ferrari cooperation; helicopter coverage; the crashes; which if any actors drove, etc. Love that bit where JF lets Garner tell off the shop owner who was holding up filming by asking for more money! Interesting frissons of nascent feminism in the screenplay.

Too bad WHV apparently couldn't locate the original trailer elements to do a new transfer of that--I'm surmising that's the reason that it's presented in letterbox widescreen.

Here's hoping WHV releases this (and NASCAR: The IMAX Experience) on BD soon (I'm finally spinning some of the last HD DVD exclusives such as this pic and looking at selling the HD DVD player . . .).

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
P.S. - At least as of this typing, it looks like this thread has been incorrectly archived under SD . . .
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks