What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Erin Brockovich (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
SIZE]

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the original DVD is one of the few titles in a 800+ collection that I've pulled out several times to watch in full ( a major feat since there are probably a hundred discs I haven't even watched once yet). It is not that it is the greatest film I have ever seen, just that like Neil writes, Soderbergh knows how to tell a story well, and the writing -as that perfectly chosen passage preceding the review demonstrates- is crackling with verve and venom. The perfect counter-agent that keeps the material from ever getting too schmaltzy.
I've always thought the original DVD looked sensational on my various pjs thru the years- so I wasn't suprised that the HD DVD looked good. In fact, I was a bit nonplussed by it. It seemed good, but I expected it to be great considering how good the DVD looked.
As was the case with American Werewolf and a few others, it wasn't until I pulled out the old DVD to directly A/B it, that I realized just how much better, and in what ways, the new HD DVD was.
At that point, I was very much suprised.

I guess it was the lower resolution of my previous projectors that masked the deficencies of these DVDs all these years. 1080p doesn't hide anything.

Watching the movie again, it was just as entertaining as ever. I thought I was being foolish in upgrading as quickly as I did on this one, but I don't regret it a bit now.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good job Neil. I need to revisit this fine film. It's been a LONG time. I do faintly remember noticing Juilia's results from her push up bra. Might not be a good thing after all seeing that in HD. ;)
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks