What's new

HTF HD DVD REVIEW: Caddyshack (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm still on the fence about picking this one up, but with nothing that I want coming out until Sept. 12 that may sway my decision when I get to the store and look at it. Thanks for the review.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
OK, this question is coming from someone who is sitting out the HD thing until everything shakes out and knows little to nothing about the tech issues, but ... has there been any older title that has had an original audio mix? Of have they all been "improved"? BTW, I think that some of the "improved" mixes actually are improved, I just think the original sound mix should be available.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Herb, according to this review at DVDTalk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23492

the original mono mix is included, it just isn't mentioned on the case and the default is the 5.1 (see post #9):

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=475899

Can you confirm this?

I hope that reviewers will note if a release doesn't include the original audio mix(es) that were available in theaters, not just mono, but if the originals were two, three, four, five, or six channel, etc. If it is at all possible to replicate the mixes in the HD format, I think this should be done, in the interest of preserving the original theatrical experience (and filmmakers' intentions as much as possible). Then if additional mixes are desired, fine. I might even like them better ...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if mono soundtracks on the new formats will be a discrete center channel, or if it'll be a 2-channel soundtrack that you'll have to pro-logic decode to get through the center channel like most DVDs are? (I STILL don't understand why they do that so often, Warner usually does it the right way though.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really didn't want to buy this film as Caddyshack was
never a real favorite of mine.

I bought it simply because there's really nothing else out there
and I'm starving for HD material....

Big mistake! Caddyshack is rather disappointing on
HD-DVD. While the film can look good in some areas over others,
most of the flaws of the source material are just magnified by the
increased definition.

If this film is a favorite of yours, I can't argue a purchase.
However, anyone looking for HD eye-candy should look elsewhere.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This is one I eventually plan on buying because I love the movie. It's a comedy classic.

So yeah, I won't be buying it because I want "wow" video quality. I'll be getting it for Ted Knight, Rodney Dangerfield, Brian Murray, Chevy Chase, Bill Murry and about a billion classics lines. Oh, and that gopher puppet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks