1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Golfers Unite!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Merryfield, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Yes, the Pearl and Oyster Bay are still there. I am not sure about Brick Landing. For some reason I have never played there.

My usual courses are the Barefoot courses, Wild Wing Avocet, Myrtlewood's Palmetto course (no double teeing), Long Bay, Farmstead (they have a par 6 finishing hole), Meadowlands, Arcadian Shores, World Golf Tour, Possum Trot and Aberdeen. I will branch to some others at times (Pearl, Oyster Bay, Grand Dunes, Myrtle Beach National, Blackmoor and Arrowhead are some off the top of my head). I tried Eagle Nest for the first time in many years this fall, and was very disappointed. Their greens were the slowest I've played on anywhere in many years, and they had the normal white tees moved up to the golds on over half the holes, making many of the holes play too short. They also way over watered for their overseeding, so it was impossible to hit any low running shot into a green.

2. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Long Bay is the Nicklaus course, right? Jack’s courses are interesting- slap it off the tee, then you’d better be good with your irons and approach shots, or you’ll have difficult bunker shots to sloping, narrow areas on the greens. Have you ever played True Blue? That’s down by Pawley’s Plantation. Very tough course- you have to be a long hitter, and there are a ton of forced carries.

3. Scott Merryfield

Yes, Long Bay is a Nicklaus design. It has a few holes with waste bunkers along the fairways, and a par 3 with an island green similar to TPC at Sawgrass. There are lots of moguls and bunkers protecting the greens, too.

I have not played True Blue, but my buddy who lives in Raleigh and comes down to visit and play golf with me keeps mentioning it as someplace for us to try (our wives have been best friends since grade school) . It's pricey, even with my "locals" discount card, and is a longer drive to get there. We discussed it again this autumn and will hopefully give it a try next season despite those issues.

King's North at Myrtle Beach National is a fun Arnold Palmer design. It includes a par 5 with an island fairway - - the hole is named The Gambler. You can aim your drive to the very difficult to hit island for a chance to reach the green in two, or go to the right and make it a 3 shot hole.

4. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    It’s been almost 3 years since I’ve been to Myrtle Beach. I was there late December 2016 to early January 2017 (a 12 night stay). I played 4 courses, got a ton of rest, good food, drink and entertainment (I hit one of the adult clubs there). Great time. I hope I can go back sometime in the future.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  5. Scott Merryfield

We first went to Myrtle Beach in 1993, and we bought our first condo (a one bedroom unit) in either 1996 or 1997. We upgraded to a two bedroom / 2 bathroom unit several years later. We have been going down there 2-3 times per year since buying our first place.

Yes, there are lots of excellent restaurants to choose from -- some have come and gone over the years. If you like microbreweries, New South Brewery is a must-go place. We also like going to La Belle Amie Winery in Little River. They have live entertainment outdoors every day they are open. We will occasionally go to Hard Rock Cafe if there is a "tribute band" playing -- free admission tickets are available at several places, including our condo rental front office. We have recently seen Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute bands there, both of which were very good. Some of the other theaters will occasionally have an act we are interested in -- have seen The Guess Who, Kansas, and Bill Cosby (before all his legal troubles arose), as well as the show "Jersey Boys". There is also a Class A minor league baseball team -- The Myrtle Beach Pelicans -- but we have not been to a game in quite a few years.

We have two sets of friends who live in Raleigh -- my wife's best friend and her husband, plus a college buddy of mine and his wife. They will come down to stay with us for a few days most times we are in town, and sometimes we will stop and stay with one of them on our commute between Michigan and Myrtle. Other times friends from Michigan will fly down. Now that I am retired, we drive and usually stay for 2-3 weeks each time. When I was still working and vacation time was more limited, we would fly down for a week -- Spirit Airlines has cheap direct flights between Detroit and Myrtle. Spirit's customer service sucks, but the prices were good and the flight times were great (early morning flights down there, and late night flights back, gaining us a couple of extra days down there).