What's new

HTF Golfers Unite! (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not sure how many golfers we have out there on the forum, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread for those of us who chase that little white ball around. :) I have been playing for the past 45 years, and my handicap now fluctuates between 10 and 12.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The catalyst that got me to start this thread is that I have recently been upgrading my clubs. My wife has been selling my old comic books, so I used the proceeds on the sales so far to replace some old equipment.

What I started with:
Cobra F6 driver
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 & 5 woods
Callaway Heavenwood Hybrid #3 & #4
MacGregor VFoil 455 irons (5 - PW)
Cleveland CBX 52 & 58 degree wedges
Odyssey White Hot Teron putter

I upgraded to the Cleveland CBX wedges in the Spring of 2018, replacing some Cleveland blade wedges. The Cobra driver is about 3 years old, and the Odyssey putter is a large mallet that's quite old, but I am still happy with -- I did install one of those new oversized Superstroke putter grips in the Spring of 2018. As my swing has changed over the years, I have been struggling with my fairway woods -- I rarely hit the 3 wood anymore. So, I started by upgrading the fairway woods, and then the hybrids. This created a yardage gap between my new hybrids and my 5 iron -- the longest iron I carry. This meant either adding another hybrid, or just replacing those 10-12 year old MacGregor irons, as I have been threatening to do for the past 3-4 years (the grooves are getting worn on several of the clubs).

Anyway, after trying lots of options at our local golf shop -- Carl's Golfland -- here is my new configuration:

Cobra F6 Driver (this will wait awhile for an upgrade)
Cobra F9 5 wood
Taylormade M6 Hybrid #3 & #4
Taylormade M6 irons (5 - PW)
Cleveland CBX 48, 52 & 58 degree wedges
Odyssey White Hot Teron putter (don't feel any need to replace this)

I am hitting the 5 wood and hybrids each about 10-15 yards longer. I just picked up the M6 irons today, so tomorrow morning will be my first trial run with them, but I am expecting a similar yardage gain, based on my hitting of the demo clubs at Carl's outdoor range. I will not have the 48 degree wedge until next week, as they were out of stock at my local Plymouth store so had to ship it from their other location in West Bloomfield. All clubs except the putter have graphite shafts -- I have been playing graphite shafts with my irons for well over 20 years now.

The primary downside right now is that with all these new clubs, I have a mixture of different grips. I have been playing Lamkin Crossline Standard Cord grips for many years. It's not worth it to regrip them right now, so that will wait awhile, too (unless I find certain grips just don't cut it for me). The Taylormades have a similar Lamkin grip, so those should be fine for now.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I have played two rounds with the new clubs, and it's been a learning experience. My regular stroke play round on Saturday was a struggle -- mostly because between my rounds of golf and testing new clubs I had been hitting golf balls for seven straight days, which my body is not used to. After a day of rest, I was striking the ball much better in the scramble event I played in on Monday. I am definitely hitting the ball farther with each club, and need to figure out the new distances for my irons.

Weather permitting, I hope to get in another round on Wednesday morning at my local course, which will allow me to work on those iron distances -- there are lots of shorter par 4s that leave me with an 8 iron or less distance with my old set of clubs, plus all four par 3s are different distances.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
After a couple more weeks of use (along with a week+ not playing while in Iceland), I am beginning to get comfortable with the new clubs. The Taylormade M6 hybrids have been the easiest to get used to. I need to maintain a slow swing with them, but when I do I have been crushing the ball. They are a huge improvement over my old Callaway Heavenwoods.

I am getting more consistent with the M6 irons. I have gained one club of distance while maintaining the same ball flight - - i.e. I am hitting the new 7 iron as far as my old 6 iron, but still getting the same height as my old 7 iron. I have been struggling with low punch shots with the irons, though. I need to spend some practice time working on that.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Well, I have played two rounds with the new clubs, and it's been a learning experience. My regular stroke play round on Saturday was a struggle -- mostly because between my rounds of golf and testing new clubs I had been hitting golf balls for seven straight days, which my body is not used to. After a day of rest, I was striking the ball much better in the scramble event I played in on Monday. I am definitely hitting the ball farther with each club, and need to figure out the new distances for my irons.

Weather permitting, I hope to get in another round on Wednesday morning at my local course, which will allow me to work on those iron distances -- there are lots of shorter par 4s that leave me with an 8 iron or less distance with my old set of clubs, plus all four par 3s are different distances.
Yes hitting a lot of balls at a driving range will definitely make you not want to get out of bed the next morning, and possibly put calluses/blisters on your palms too.

I haven’t even looked at my clubs for 2-1/2 years- I just don’t have the time to play or practice anymore. A shame.

I tried to hit graphite shaft irons a long time ago, but I didn’t have the right swing tempo- you have to swing those at a nice, easy, relaxed pace.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I haven’t even looked at my clubs for 2-1/2 years- I just don’t have the time to play or practice anymore. A shame.

I tried to hit graphite shaft irons a long time ago, but I didn’t have the right swing tempo- you have to swing those at a nice, easy, relaxed pace.

If it was a long time ago, I would suggest giving graphite another try if you decide to start playing again. Shaft technology -- both graphite and steel -- has come a long way in the past few years. You may have been trying a shaft with too much flexibility, as well. I play regular flex shaft as they fit my swing speed, but if you have a faster swing speed then a stiff or extra stiff shaft may be in order. Getting measured properly at a golf store that offers that service would probably be a good idea.

Finding time to practice and play can be an issue for a lot of people, as the game can take a lot of your time. I have been playing since I was 12 years old, and have always enjoyed playing, so I make the time. Way back when I was in college, though, I didn't have the time either and the clubs sat for a few years. I am retired now, though, and played more rounds last season than I ever had. If we are in town, a typical week will be a Monday morning round with a group of retirees that two of my neighbors invited me to join last year, my golf league on Thursday evening, and a Saturday morning round with some friends I have been playing with for many years. I may also sneak in one more round by myself at my local course, where I can also get in some practice -- I get the first tee time in the morning, and usually have the course to myself, so I can work on some shots. Even doing that, I can still get in 18 holes in less than 2.5 hours (under 2 hours if I just play straight golf).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have begun to settle in with the new clubs. The Taylormade M6 hybrids have been the most impressive new clubs in my bag -- the ball just seems to jump off the clubface. A close friend who is also in my long time golf league has the same M6 3 hybrid (I didn't even realize that's what he bought before I tested and bought mine). We were both 250 yards from the green on the par 5 18th hole in league last night, and we both put our second shots about pin-high slightly left of the green with beautiful, straight shots (a large sand trap blocks the right side of the green). If Taylormade's twist face technology works this good on a hybrid, I am going to have to give their new drivers a spin once the price drops some. I would have needed a 3 wood in the past to reach that green in two (we did have the wind behind us).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For anyone looking for high quality golf balls at a more affordable price, I would recommend checking out Vice Golf. I have placed two orders this year for their Tour balls. For me, they compare favorably with Titleist Pro VI balls at a fraction of the price. My first order was under a deal where if you ordered 5 dozen balls you got another dozen free. That worked to under $15 per dozen after shipping. My most recent order was for five dozen with free shipping for under $16 per dozen. Their most expensive ball, the four-piece Pro Plus, costs $25 per dozen. Considering that Pro VI balls run about $45 per dozen, this is a great deal.

Vice Golf is based in Germany and sells direct via their website. Normal shipping charges are not bad (my orders have come via FedEx), but they do offer deals occasionally like I received. Also, no sales tax.

The only Titleist Pro VI balls in my bag are there either because (1) I bought some refurbished, (2) I was given some at golf events, or (3) I found them on the course. There is no way I will buy them at their normal cost.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have been struggling with my driver this season, so today I made an adjustment to my Cobra F6 driver for the first time since I purchased the club over 3 years ago. Even though my natural shot shape is a draw, I changed the club from a 10.5 degree standard loft to a 10.5 draw to combat a push to the right (not a fade) I have been struggling with this season. The adjustment closed the club face slightly, and I noticed an immediate improvement. My drives were very straight -- either in the fairway or just a little off after the adjustment. In my previous round on Monday, I missed every fairway except hole #1 -- I had never driven the ball that poorly before.

Hopefully the adjustment will take care of things for awhile -- at least through Saturday's round. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The saddest golf day of the year was Friday night when we got home from South Carolina, as I took my golf clubs out of my vehicle for the season. We are expecting snow in Michigan tomorrow and it's supposed to be cold all week, so I think my golf season is over.:(

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Next trip?
Probably not until South Carolina in April. We are going to Key West in February, but I will not take my clubs then.

We do have an indoor driving range about 10 minutes from our house. I will usually start hitting balls there after the holidays. It's a dome that stretches to about 100 yards, so you can see your ball flight. There are also targets to aim at for working on the short game. Cost is only $10 for 30 minutes, which is enough time for me to hit a couple of buckets worth of balls.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm so old my woods are actually made of wood. Being left handed it's hard for me to find deals on used clubs. And in fact, left handed golfers often go off to do other hobbies instead.
Trump-et-al-golf-pic.png

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dennis,

We have a couple of lefties in our golf league, including the longtime commissioner. I think our commish buys new clubs, but the other guy seems to find deals on used clubs (not sure where).

I had persimmon woods when I first began playing as a kid. I don't think I got my first set of metal woods until after college - - sometime in the mid to late '80's. I had not hit a persimmon wood in many years until a couple of years ago when someone brought an old driver to golf league. He was in my foursome that day, and each of us gave it a try on the last hole. Wow, I had forgotten how difficult those things are to hit! It was staggering how different it was from our modern drivers.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I haven't played a round for years. I was told my metal spikes are now illegal. They have been relegated to snow shoveling duty, where they exhibit great traction in snow and ice. I bought a set of those new soccer-spike shoes but haven't had a chance to use them due to my medical issues the past two years.

So wood woods are not "classic" but merely "troublesome"?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Probably not until South Carolina in April. We are going to Key West in February, but I will not take my clubs then.

We do have an indoor driving range about 10 minutes from our house. I will usually start hitting balls there after the holidays. It's a dome that stretches to about 100 yards, so you can see your ball flight. There are also targets to aim at for working on the short game. Cost is only $10 for 30 minutes, which is enough time for me to hit a couple of buckets worth of balls.
The first time I went to Myrtle Beach to play golf was in early April 1991. That was a quick lesson in when not to go to Myrtle Beach (I don’t have the patience to wait on every shot, and endure
a 6 hour round of golf). I started going in early January after that experience- I had the course to myself, and the prices were much cheaper,
and the weather isn’t too bad at that time of year, if you can wait through frost delays.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The first time I went to Myrtle Beach to play golf was in early April 1991. That was a quick lesson in when not to go to Myrtle Beach (I don’t have the patience to wait on every shot, and endure
a 6 hour round of golf). I started going in early January after that experience- I had the course to myself, and the prices were much cheaper,
and the weather isn’t too bad at that time of year, if you can wait through frost delays.
We go to our condo in Myrtle Beach every April and October. While April can be busy, I get the first tee time in the morning, so can get in 18 holes in 3-4 hours, depending on the course and the people I am paired with. Since we own property, I can buy a card called Myrtle Beach Passport for $50 per year which gives me huge discounts on green fees -- 50% - 75% off.

This past October / November trip, I was teeing off around 7-7:30am and was back in our condo between 10:30am and 11am. I paid anywhere from $35 to $57 per round, depending on the course. The $57 fee was for two of the Barefoot Resort courses across from us, whose normal fees were over $120.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
We go to our condo in Myrtle Beach every April and October. While April can be busy, I get the first tee time in the morning, so can get in 18 holes in 3-4 hours, depending on the course and the people I am paired with. Since we own property, I can buy a card called Myrtle Beach Passport for $50 per year which gives me huge discounts on green fees -- 50% - 75% off.

This past October / November trip, I was teeing off around 7-7:30am and was back in our condo between 10:30am and 11am. I paid anywhere from $35 to $57 per round, depending on the course. The $57 fee was for two of the Barefoot Resort courses across from us, whose normal fees were over $120.
If memory serves, I played the Norman course at Barefoot. I did a count a long time ago, and I was on 85 of the courses in the Grand Strand (quite a few of those courses no longer exist- Ocean Harbor, Belle Terre, Wicked Stick, Bay Tree, Wild Wing Hummingbird, to name a few).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If memory serves, I played the Norman course at Barefoot. I did a count a long time ago, and I was on 85 of the courses in the Grand Strand (quite a few of those courses no longer exist- Ocean Harbor, Belle Terre, Wicked Stick, Bay Tree, Wild Wing Hummingbird, to name a few).
All four of the Barefoot courses are very nice -- Dye, Fazio, Love and Norman. This time I played the Dye and Love courses. The Love course is my favorite of the four, and the Dye course is probably the most difficult. Our condo is at Ocean Creek, which is right across Highway 17 from the Barefoot Landing shopping / entertainment complex, so the Barefoot courses are less than a 10 minute drive (assuming I don't get caught at the swing bridge waiting for a boat).

Wild Wing has closed several of their courses. All that is left is their signature Larry Nelson course -- Avocet -- and nine holes from one of the other courses (Falcon, I think) The Avocet course is one of my favorites, and I play it each time we are down there. They do not double tee, and it's a fun but challenging layout with great greens.

Waterway Hills, an old Robert Trent Jones 27 hole layout design that had a gondola ride over the inter-coastal waterway from the parking lot to the course, has also closed. I liked playing that, as the price was reasonable and it was close to our condo.

I usually stick with the courses at the north end of the Grand Strand and up into North Carolina, as they are easier to get to from our place. Heading down to Pawleys Island or other such areas at the south end can be a pain and take too long, especially when you have a 7am time.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes the Avocet course is delightful- long been a favorite of mine down there. Is the Pearl still there with their 2 layouts? How about Oyster Bay
(always one of the busiest courses in the area)?
Brick Landing (a frustrating course, because you have to lay up off the tee throughout the course)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks