What's new

HTF Fantasy Football Draft Thoughts... (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
That was 'fun', wasn't it? Pretty darn painful draft for my team, the Claymores, starting off with an autopick I didn't want followed by pain, pain, pain. I've got a couple of decent players, but no real 'stars' to grab points in tough situations... Two injured kickers in the last two rounds definitely wasn't a highpoint. I think it's going to be a painful year.
Out of my division, "The Fast", I think Bryan Ziegler's 'SB Bound' definitely have the edge straightaway - good starting team with a pair of quality RBs. Joel's team should run them a close second though.. The Uvulas may grind out some tough games too, depending on Vinny!
Grabbing attention out the other teams, Paul M's got a nice strong team centered around Faulk, and I'm sure he's got a couple of Canadians hidden away for a rainy day like last year
wink.gif
The Jedi Knights have a good mix of players though they may find it tough if Duce Staley has injury problems...
Overall, as I'm sure we all know, depth is definitely going to be the problem with a 20 team league... Too many teams, too few quality players... Which is kinda fun - finding steals in unknown players will be interesting...
Anyway, bring on the first game!
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Jin E

Second Unit
Hyakugojyuuichi draft and Team analysis.
Even though I was picking 17th My draft started out good. My plan as always is to pick up good Quality RB's and then fill in from there with the best availible people. I got Stephen Davis right off the bat... with the oppertunity to pick up a second top notch RB 5 picks late. That's when my draft fell appart. My computer locked up just 1 pick away from my second pick. By the time I had rebooted The Great Entity was kind enough to pick up Jeff George for me. Though not a bad pick this definitly threw a monkey wrench into my plans. 20 minutes later it as time for my second pick. I highlighted Garrison Hearst... selected draft player... and somehow managed to pick up Philly Defence!!! At first I only had a monkey wrench in my draft... now I had a whole monkey. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned Garrison Hearst (ranked really low but is starting to the ever dangerous San Fran)in the chat room because he was promptly picked up right before my next pick which was only 6 picks away. Having Hearst picked up 1:30 before my 4th pick sent me into a panic pick for my 4th which I picked up Matt Hasselbeck (hoping to be my sleper QB like I had with Jeff Garcia last year). The rest of the draft went faily smoothly... with only average WRs, TEs, and RBs left I made my next pick a good kicker. The team is filled with pretty average type players... so look for a middle of the pack finish from Hyakugojyuuichi.
George, Jeff WAS QB
Should be good for points if he stay healthy. Solid ground game behind him but lacks any good proven deep threat targets. 1st year player Rod Gardner or heavy weight champ of the world Westbrook will have to step up.
Davis, Stephen WAS RB
Great back when he stays healthy. Has been prone to bumps and bruises throughout career.
Anderson, Richie NYJ RB
Doesn't see many handoff with Martin in the backfield... but hopefully will repeat his 88 reception year. Hoping to get 60-70 recs out of him.
Hayes, Donald CAR WR
One of several 700-900 yard receivers in the draft. Hope to repeat his 926 yard year from last year.
Jackson, Darrell SEA WR
Hasselbeck has to throw th ball to someone doesn't he? (and hopefully it isn't Koren Robinson!) Another one of the 700-900 yard receivers, look for increased output from the 2nd year wideout.
Kelly, Reggie ATL TE
2nd year tight end in the 30-300-3 club. If Vick becomes a starter look for them to throw a lot of safe passes to this good young talent.
Longwell, Ryan GB K
Good solid kicker. The more the Packers offense sputters the better his numbers. Look for a repeat 30+ FG year from him.
Eagles PHI DT
What can I say... my 3rd round draft choice!
Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB
Hopefully his great preseason will spill over into his first year in the league as a starter.
Richardson, Tony KC RB
Another back who catches a lot of balls. I will be estatic if he can repeat his 2000 campaign.
Ward, Hines PIT WR
Great talent stuck on a team with no QB. Hope to get 700 yards 5td's out of him.
Sanders, Frank ARI WR
Great possesion receiver who numbers dropped last year (though he had career highs in TD's). another one of hose 700-900 receivers in the league.
Sloan, David DET TE
Ho-hum 30-300-3 TE.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater
[Edited last by Jin E on September 07, 2001 at 08:12 AM]
[Edited last by Jin E on September 07, 2001 at 08:12 AM]
[Edited last by Jin E on September 07, 2001 at 08:15 AM]

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
CBS has a great product once the season gets going, but their draft is painful! I've never been in a 20 team league, so it will be interesting to see how some of these rosters shake out. Drafting as late as I did (16th), I also went for RB's. My whole season rests with Bennett (RB MINN). I knew he wouldn't be around in the 3rd round, so I took him with my 2nd pick. Dennis Green is high on him, the way that he was with Randy Moss and Dante, so we'll see...
How did someone get Jason Brookins (RB Baltimore)? He wasn't on my draft list. Is there a waiver process? If he wasn't on the list, he really should go through waivers so everyone has a chance to pick him up.
Good luck in week 1!
------------------
David Rubenstein
My Theater: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28664.html

BryanZ

Screenwriter
It was a good draft. I think the most dangerous and balanced team out there will be the Columbus Tigerbombs (Mark Pfeiffer). What really threw me was when the autodraft started going after defenses. Why would that many defenses be taken in the third and fourth rounds? That forced me to take the Chiefs defense. What also threw me was Terrel Davis still being available in the second round. I would have thought he'd be the fourth, maybe fifth back taken. It was fun. Next time, Yahoo.
wink.gif

If anyone still wants to be in another fantasy league, one more that I'm in needs coaches. We have 6 coaches thus far, including myself, and need a minimum of 8. 14 is the max but we'll get underway as soon as we have enough coaches to conduct the draft. Here is the link: Link Removed

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty pleased with how my team ended up. My only fear is lack of depth and crappy receivers. And I totally agree that the Tigerbombs look really solid.

Jin E

Second Unit
Call me crazy but I think that Dallas Wolfpack has the strongest team top to bottom. Very strong at each position for his starters, no real super duper stars but good solid point producers (if everyone stays healthy!). Some of his players have missed a quite a few games last year because of injury (Jamal Anderson, Greise, Westbrook). If they stay healthy look out for the Wolfpack.
My next two picks would be Calgary and Columbus... never count out the team with a good nucleus built around Marshall Faulk!
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
My team(MachineXSoul) hurt due to the fact that I had to shop for engagment rings with the girlfriend. The autodraft seemed to be spotty for my pics, some good, some bad.
Grbac - shall do alright, will be my highest scorer.
Biakabutuka - please put up numbers
Morris - ummmm, honestly never heard of him
Glenn - go druggie go! I hope he gets his repeal on the 11th
Bruce - ok someone who I can count on!
Walls - for a tight end not bad
Wilkins - just kick me some field goals
Saints DF - rock on! lots of sacks, should increase my points
Strangley i got my favorite player when I was a kid, Morten Andersen....pretty cool.
My first game I have to play the Wolfpack, oh well guess MxS won't be going to the playoffs this year.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I am just preparing myself for the general let down that I will not be crushing your ass BrianB.

Jin E

Second Unit
What type of trash talking is this!?!?! 20 guys saying how each of them is going to finish middle of the pack
wink.gif

Of course... after looking over the other teams in my division I might be finishing out of the middle of the pack... more like below
wink.gif

------------------
-Jin
My Theater
[Edited last by Jin E on September 07, 2001 at 06:58 PM]

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
You want trash talking, you got it!
I'm going to wipe the floor with all the other teams, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I'm just saddened that I don't play many of the teams in my division, including those sorry excuses for franchises run by Seth Paxton and Scott Weinberg. I guess I won't be able to get fat on the worst of the league!!!!!!!
OK, seriously now. It should be very interesting, although I do feel very confident with the team I drafted. (As opposed to the 18 team money league I'm in, I have a solid corps of RBs. Couldn't believe Mike Anderson was hanging around as late as he was. My draft decisions were aided by going through a big draft previously, though.)
Good luck. I already have my plans to watch as many games as possible at a place with 9(!) big screen tvs.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Mississippi Mermaid, Un Flic, How to Get Ahead in Advertising: The Criterion Collection, WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom
Most recent column: Panning P&S

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Heh, Jin, I think most of us are still too shellshocked from the slowness & poor quality of the draft to trash talk.. Let's see how this weekend works out
wink.gif

------------------
Nothing In Particular

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks