What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time Nov/Dec 2015 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
David Steigman said:
Captain Sinbad is with Warner

Im already happy with the 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and Id rather they focus on never released to blu ray before. Although admittedly if they did license 7th Voyage Id wind up getting it :)
I'd buy it again too! 7th Voyage blew my mind when I was 10 years old . It's still a favorite .

I'd like to see a Captain Sinbad BD as well as Jack The Giant Killer .

Mark-W

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
While I have the European Blu-ray of Sense and Sensibility, if the new TT Blu-ray ports over the bonus content that was on the original Sony R1 DVD, it will be a must buy for me. TT did this for The Remains of the Day, which also made that a must buy/repurchase after buying the European Blu-ray.

The European Blu-ray has a few featurettes and deleted scenes.

Here is a list of the bonus material on the Sony R1 DVD of Sense and Sensibility
  • Audio commentary by 'Emma Thompson' and producer Lindsay Doran
  • Audio commentary by director Ang Lee and co-producer James Schamus
  • 'Emma Thompson' 's Golden Globe acceptance speech
  • Deleted scenes

Nick*Z said:
Sense and Sensibility, like TT's previous reissue of The Remains of the Day has long been available in Europe from Sony in region free discs that will play anywhere in the world. Sure wish we could get Sony to give us 1994's Little Women - a classic MIA all over the world and one definitely worthy of a release. Was sort of hoping Anastasia (1956) was going to be among these, especially given the list of 'potentials' from Mr. Finn on the "Hi, From Fox" thread here. Oh well. Lots of goodies here and sure to please.

Konstantinos said:
Yes, I understand, but I assume the TT Bluray will have an isolated score for which I'm interested (and maybe an audio commentary too?).

Also, it seems you don't know about the release of Little Women?

It's coming in October by Sony themselves! ;)

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=264449

By the way, I assume Mysterious Island will be an exact re-issue, or will it have something new?

(new transfer, extras?)

battlebeast said:
Sigh. I just bought Sense and Sensability from Europe...

I'll buy the TT version to support them if the Bonus features are different in some way.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
LouA said:
I'd buy it again too! 7th Voyage blew my mind when I was 10 years old . It's still a favorite .

I'd like to see a Captain Sinbad BD as well as Jack The Giant Killer .
Agree on wanting HD or 4k restoration of both Captain Sindbad (spelled as in that movie) and an upgrade to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I thought reviewers were too kind to the Blu-ray of 7th Voyage, as it has far too much red-shift and the blacks wrongfully turn to solid black (with no shadow detail).

About four years ago I saw a 35mm print of 7th Voyage (that looked brand new) projected at the Carolina Theater in Durham NC -- That print was perfect and exactly the way I remembered the movie from when I was a child. The print had perfect color timing and much finer grain than the snowstorm we see on the Blu-ray.

On the other hand, the Blu-ray of Jason and the Argonauts looks better than any presentation that I have ever seen, but I would like that excellent Criterion laserdisc commentary with Harryhausen.

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
I missed Mysterious Island the first time so I'll definitely pick it up. I NEED it for my Harryhausen collection!

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Oops, wrong FATHERLAND. The one TT is releasing is a Ken Loach movie from 1986 that I'm unfamiliar with, but it sounds promising.

And, yes, I'll pick up the label's SENSE AND SENSIBILITY if it replicates the DVD's features. The European Blu has its own quality supplements so Austen junkies may want to have both.

David Norman

Premium
Billy Batson said:
I bet Mysterious Island isn't as expensive as the first issue, ouch, the most expensive Blu I've bought (I think The Egyptian was expensive as well). If it's just a straight re-release, fine, it should be available, it's one of the two best Harryhausen films (along with Jason), & a smashing looking transfer.
It will likely be priced the same as the first time around unless you're talking about being cheaper than the scalper market.

Malcolm R said:
Why so many titles? I thought TT released only 5-6 at a time?
5-6 per month and this is for 2 months. It seems TT announces 2 months at a time normally.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Just Myterious Island for me. Maybe Broken Lance and Kings go Forth.

I hope they do Jason and the Argonauts since it is apparently out of print with Sony.

I would like to see all the Harryhausen Sinbad's reissued as well.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Randy Korstick said:
Just Myterious Island for me. Maybe Broken Lance and Kings go Forth.

I hope they do Jason and the Argonauts since it is apparently out of print with Sony.

I would like to see all the Harryhausen Sinbad's reissued as well.

You can still buy the Jason Blu-ray for a very reasonable price, anyone who hasn't got it shouldn't wait too long, it's a great looking disc with lots of extras.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
BORN FREE is one of those films I'd have guessed Sony would put out themselves, way ahead of LITTLE WOMEN (which I love), a movie I'd have thought was perfect TT material. Who'd a thunk? Anyway, I'm so glad both are coming.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Many thanks for SHADOWS AND FOG. I know this is not one of Allen's most popular films, but I find it extraordinary and thickly atmospheric. That Woody had enough control over his choices to make a number of his films in black and white in an era that practically outlawed its use I find refreshing and artistically sound. Many films today should be black and white. I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), black and white was for many years actually more expensive to produce than color, because there was a shortage of labs to process it (this was true to Super 8mm in the 70's). Now, with digital photography, I imagine that black and white would be no more costly than color, and if it weren't for vacuous audiences who just have to have color in everything, I think many directors would be choosing b&w now. Only a few do, but I'll bet I own a copy of every single one of those movies.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I see its $16.00 at Amazon currently. It must have been out of stock for awhile. A few months ago I checked it for a couple months at amazon and it was always going for between $35-39.00 and Deep Discount had no listing for it so I assumed it was out of print.

Billy Batson said:
You can still buy the Jason Blu-ray for a very reasonable price, anyone who hasn't got it shouldn't wait too long, it's a great looking disc with lots of extras.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Oh, darn. I was thrilled with the idea I could finally retire my VHS copy of Rutger Hauer's FATHERLAND. I'm sure the other one is a fine movie ... just not the one I wanted.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
David Norman said:
Was MI $35 initially -- it's been so long it never dawned on me so I forget to check. In that case it may well be 29.95 since they haven't
had a single disc $35 in a very long time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was (as was The Egyptian), it was early days of TT Blu-ray releases & they were sorting out the prices (I'm sure TT will tell me if I'm wrong), still glad I bought them, especially The Egyptian.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
In the beginning (2011- early 2012) we experimented at 3 blu-ray price points for single-disc titles - $39.95 (The Egyptian) $34.95 (a handful of Sony titles including MI), and $29.95 (all the rest). No single disc release has been priced above $29.95 for more than 3 years. So, naturally, the reissue of MI will be $29.95.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
TT Blu-rays that were/are not $29.95:

Angel - $24.95

Bandit Queen - $24.95

Bell, Book and Candle - $34.95 (Sold Out)

Bite the Bullet - $34.95

Carla's Song - $24.95

The Egyptian - $39.99 (Sold Out)

Fatherland - $24.95

Fever Pitch - $24.95

The Firm - $24.95

Major Dundee - $34.95 (2-Discs)

A Month in the Country - $24.95

Mysterious Island - $34.95 (Sold Out)

Pal Joey - $34.95

Picnic - $34.95 (Sold Out)

Resurrected - $24.95

Rita, Sue and Bob, Too! - $24.95

Save Your Legs! - $24.95

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
aPhil said:
Agree on wanting HD or 4k restoration of both Captain Sindbad (spelled as in that movie) and an upgrade to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I thought reviewers were too kind to the Blu-ray of 7th Voyage, as it has far too much red-shift and the blacks wrongfully turn to solid black (with no shadow detail).

About four years ago I saw a 35mm print of 7th Voyage (that looked brand new) projected at the Carolina Theater in Durham NC -- That print was perfect and exactly the way I remembered the movie from when I was a child. The print had perfect color timing and much finer grain than the snowstorm we see on the Blu-ray.

On the other hand, the Blu-ray of Jason and the Argonauts looks better than any presentation that I have ever seen, but I would like that excellent Criterion laserdisc commentary with Harryhausen.
Interesting . So. lets hope 7th Voyage gets a an upgrade soon.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
King Creole is Paramount. Unless TT strikes a deal with them, no chance.
It would be nice if Paramount released a Bluray box of all 9 of their Elvis films including Loving You which I would hope they could license .A number of good films there including King Creole, Blue Hawaii, GI Blues and Roustabout .

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
LouA said:
It would be nice if Paramount released a Bluray box of all 9 of their Elvis films including Loving You which I would hope they could license .A number of good films there including King Creole, Blue Hawaii, GI Blues and Roustabout .
A box set like that would be a dream come true for a fan like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McGrats
Recent bookmarks