What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time May/June 2017 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I've been holding off on buying INFERNO waiting for a domestic release, so I'm definitely in, but what I'm most excited about is SHOWA ZANKYO DEN. This is the first of a series of "chivalrous" Yaukza films produced by Toehi in the mid 1960's staring Ken Takakura. I find this especially timely as I was watching the Warner Archive blu-ray of THE YAKUZA yesterday, wishing & hoping for a blu of one of Ken Takakura's early Yakuza films. And here it is!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
(I'm surprised, giving its "Winner" ways, that TT hasn't gotten to Lawman, with fave Burt Lancaster, yet.)

Especially as it's now on Blu-ray in Germany.

I'll be ordering Hell and High Water and The Bridge At Remagen.

I just might buy Who'll Stop The Rain which I saw when it first came out. I heard there was some problem with it's first release. It did badly so they re-issued it under a different title. Does anyone know the details of that story?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I'm also in for the Jackie Chan double feature. DRUNKEN MASTER is one of the best Hong Kong films of its time, beautifully mounted, deeply engrossing with mind-boggling action choreography. Kind of like taking the Cary Grant from BRINGING UP BABY and placing him in a period Kung Fu film. And hopefully we'll finally get the chance to see these films in beautiful colors (as opposed to all those dupey brownish grainy asian DVDs).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill

I just might buy Who'll Stop The Rain which I saw when it first came out. I heard there was some problem with it's first release. It did badly so they re-issued it under a different title. Does anyone know the details of that story?

Never heard that about Rain. Maybe you're confusing it with another TT title, Chilly Scenes of Winter (aka Head Over Heels)?

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD

DOG SOLDIERS

dog_soldiers_78.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm just shocked no one has asked Sony for Murder by Death, or The Cheapn Detective. If TT could get those and use the original awesome poster artwork for the covers and maybe do some commentary tracks I think they would sell very well. They are both favorites of many.

The fact no one else has tried to release them on BLU yet possibly they can't be licensed out?

Also just a low amount of classic Neil Simon movies like Seems Like old Times, and California Suite with isolated audio tracks would be great.

Will be buying several from this batch announced.

I am the one person who has been heading up the "Why doesn't Sony release Murder By Death" on Blu-ray campaign for as long as I can remember.

I can tell you Sony is aware of the demand for this title. It is my best guess it will eventually be released.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
DOG SOLDIERS

dog_soldiers_78.jpg
From Wiki: "The film is based on Robert Stone's novel Dog Soldiers (1974), which won the National Book Award (US) for fiction in 1975.[2] For its original US theatrical release it was re-titled Who'll Stop the Rain, after the Creedence Clearwater Revival song, which features prominently (along with several other popular CCR tracks) on the film's soundtrack. The film was released as Dog Soldiers for release in several foreign territories. Some copies of the DVD of Who'll Stop the Rain actually contain prints titled Dog Soldiers."

Stray DVDs aside, I don't think it was ever titled Dog Soldiers in its original Stateside run.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
My memory is, though this was a long time ago, that the original title was DOG SOLDIERS. I think the film still had that title at press screenings in NYC. WHO WILL STOP THE RAIN was the title decided by the distributor United Artists in the US at the last minute & I think it was such a last minute decision that there wasn't time to change the prints. I know I saw the film opening day, and I think that DOG SOLDIERS was still the title on the print I saw at the Festival in NYC, while the posters in front of the theater advertised WHO WILL STOP THE RAIN.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
As an aside, now that "The Bridge at Remagen" is being released, if TT (or Kino) would release both Bogey's "Sahara" and "The Heroes of Telemark" (which both TT and Kino have access to) my WWII movie obsession would almost be fulfilled. My other most-wanted WWII movie is "Operation Crossbow" which is with Warners.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Very happy to see that TT is releasing The Valachi Papers and The Stone Killer. Definite purchases for me, and I hope they'll continue to put out more Bronson material.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
My memory is, though this was a long time ago, that the original title was DOG SOLDIERS. I think the film still had that title at press screenings in NYC. WHO WILL STOP THE RAIN was the title decided by the distributor United Artists in the US at the last minute & I think it was such a last minute decision that there wasn't time to change the prints. I know I saw the film opening day, and I think that DOG SOLDIERS was still the title on the print I saw at the Festival in NYC, while the posters in front of the theater advertised WHO WILL STOP THE RAIN.

Interesting. Roger Ebert says: "When it played at Cannes, indeed, it was titled "Dog Soldiers," but it was retitled "Who'll Stop the Rain," maybe because the producers didn't want people to think this was a war movie, or maybe because they thought the song title would help at the box office."

Anyway--it's a great movie that's lacked a great home video transfer, and this should be it.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
There are 7 titles in this batch I want . Two Bronson's ,Bridge ,Inferno,Quiet American,Hell+High Water and Who'll Stop the Rain. Great batch for me .

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not speaking against any of these titles, as all films are in the "To Each His Own" category.
All I'm saying is that I very, very relieved; at least on this round;
as this now affords me the chance to back-track on the remaining TT titles that I couldn't keep up with, before.:D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm good with 6 titles over the two months. While I have never been a Bronson fan The Valachi Papers is a given

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks