HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time May/June 2015 Release Announcements

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Press Release 05/01/2015​
From iconic director Ken Loach and for the first time on Blu-Ray comes a​
rarely-seen, soul-stirring romance with emotional passion and political urgency!​
“CARLA’S SONG”
Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release​
Only 3,000 units available at​
Once they are gone – they are gone!​
RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, MAY 12TH, 2015

“Radical Brit filmmaker Ken Loach uses a cross-cultural love story to take a hard look at the New World Order in Central America in Carla’s Song, set between working-class Glasgow and war-torn Nicaragua…burns with enough spirit to keep critical interest keen and the director’s following loyal.” —Variety

“Sharp and funny, tender and real…rings very true.”
Time Out London

“Demonstrates a keen sense of location. Both in Glasgow and in Nicaragua, a vivid texture of daily life is presented.”

--BFIscreenonline

Director Ken Loach brings us Carla’s Song (1996), a politically inclined romance about a Glaswegian bus driver (Robert Carlyle) who meets and falls in love with a Nicaraguan refugee (Oyanka Cabezas). Moved by her plight, he travels with her to a conflict-torn Nicaragua, searching for her former lover, who has disappeared in the chaos of that country’s savage civil war. Cinematography by Barry Ackroyd and musical score by George Fenton, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David Mamet’s perennially popular play comes to the screen​
with a dynamite cast and a high-definition transfer that shimmers on Blu-Ray!​
“AMERICAN BUFFALO”

“The language contains such rich humor just beneath the surface. It’s not a comedy (although sometimes we laugh), but an elaborate playwright’s joke.” —Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“With its staccato, profanity-laced language and metaphorically potent setting, American Buffalo folds a stylized parody of American gangster movies into a bleak Samuel Beckett vision that is wide enough to accommodate many interpretations…it adds another resonance to the heap of them already surrounding a work that only grows richer in meaning as the years pass.”
Stephen Holden, The New York Times

Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Franz, and Sean Nelson star in the film version of David Mamet’s acclaimed play about a small-time heist revealing the all-American characters of its trio of losers. This stylized parody of classic gangster films reveals some profound truths about “free enterprise” even as it gives us a look at three resonant sad-sacks born into the “land of opportunity.”

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The incomparable Paul Newman brings his own brand of justice to the Old West in an all-star adaptation of Elmore Leonard’s novel – now on Blu-Ray for the very first time!​
“HOMBRE”

“One of Ritt’s best films, with fine performances all round, impressive Death Valley locations, and superlative camerawork from James Wong Howe —Time Out London

“An absorbing, suspenseful film…Ritt directs with a steady hand, and the dialog by Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank bears listening to. It’s intelligent, and has a certain grace, as well.”
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“Tremendously engrossing…Hombre is tough.”
Bosley Crowther, The New York Times

The outstanding filmmaking team of director Martin Ritt and screenwriters Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank Jr. brings us this adaptation of Elmore Leonard’s Hombre (1967), a revisionist Western that offers a variation on the theme of Stagecoach. Paul Newman stars as an Apache-raised white man, initially despised by his fellow stagecoach passengers, who is then appealed to for help when a savage robbery/kidnapping leaves them in peril. Also starring Fredric March, Richard Boone, Martin Balsam, and Diane Cilento.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alan Parker directs the unforgettable, hard-hitting true story of the investigation of three slain Civil Rights workers – an Oscar® winner for cinematography – on high-def Blu-ray!​
“MISSISSIPPI BURNING”

“With remarkable performances, aggressive direction and a cracking pace, this is superb cinema.” —Barry McIlheney, Empire

Mississippi Burning speeds down the complicated, painful path of civil rights in search of a good thriller. Surprisingly, it finds it—right there among the shacks and chicken coops, on Main Street, Mississippi, and in those dark backwaters where the Klan takes care of its own and the bodies of three slain civil rights workers lie buried.”
Desson Howe, The Washington Post

“Apart from its pure entertainment value—this is the best American crime movie in years—it is an important statement about a time and a condition that should not be forgotten.”
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Director Alan Parker’s Mississippi Burning (1988) tells the real-life tale of three young Civil Rights workers murdered in deep-South Mississippi, focusing on the FBI agents (the great Gene Hackman and the wonderfully subtle Willem Dafoe) who arrive to investigate the crime. Also starring Frances McDormand and Brad Dourif, the film features a lacerating screenplay by Chris Gerolmo, cinematography by Peter Biziou (Richard III), and a score by Trevor Jones, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

RMajidi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ramin
Waited impatiently for years for this Blu-ray release of A Man For All Seasons.
4K restoration = Brilliant
Sony 4K restoration = Sublime
My favourite film of all time. Time to shout it from the rooftops!

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
My Gosh, TT has hit the motherload. Zinnemann's classic is a must; Ritt's and Loach's films are most welcome, too. I think Mississippi Burning is very good, but already own two DVD versions; enough triple-dipping.

Can't wait to see their cover arts.

battlebeast

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Rob_Ray said:
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, definitely for me. Paging Warren ("Battlebeast"): Best Picture winner...
Oh,, belive me I've know and been waiting forc a long time!

Also getting Mississippi burning.

I think they should have made AMFAS a 5,000 edition...

Reactions: RMajidi

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
5000 of AMFAS! Come on, Warren! No one has ever heard of Fred Zinnemann, Robert Bolt, Paul Scofield, Robert Shaw, Thomas More, Henry VIII, etc. And Oscar? What does it mean having won Best Picture? :D We're talking 1966 here. That's before films spoke, were shot in color and widescreen with 7.1 Dolby Atmos. No interest at all; unless, of course, you saw it on first release. ;)

Well, at least I'll be getting one of the 3000.

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
battlebeast said:
I think they should have made AMFAS a 5,000 edition.
How many copies were you planning to buy? I think with TT's recent statement in the Solomon And Sheba thread, I think it's clear that prestige doesn't sell but Fright Night and Christine do. If they have a hard time selling out 3,000 copies, an extra 2,000 in their warehouse is the last thing they need. Sometimes I think we film buffs live in a bubble and not the real world.

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Real Name
John Moreland
bujaki said:
5000 of AMFAS! Come on, Warren! No one has ever heard of Fred Zinnemann, Robert Bolt, Paul Scofield, Robert Shaw, Thomas More, Henry VIII, etc. And Oscar? What does it mean having won Best Picture? :D We're talking 1966 here. That's before films spoke, were shot in color and widescreen with 7.1 Dolby Atmos. No interest at all; unless, of course, you saw it on first release. ;)

Well, at least I'll be getting one of the 3000.
Thomas T said:
How many copies were you planning to buy? I thing with TT's recent statement in the Solomon And Sheba thread, I think it's clear that prestige doesn't sell but Fright Night and Christine do. If they have a hard time selling out 3,000 copies, an extra 2,000 in their warehouse is the last thing they need. Sometimes I think we film buffs live in a bubble and not the real world.
I agree that 5,000 would be too much, but still, I don't think too many people expected such a quick sell-out on The Train, which while a great film, was never as famous or as highly regarded in general as AMFAS. Add to that a 4K remastering and I think we're going to see a brisk seller with this title. And recently TT said on their FB page that Richard III is selling briskly and in greater numbers than they expected. Which is great. Sometimes you just never know.

Reactions: RMajidi

SilverWook

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
All the press releases are dated May 1st. Were they sent via time machine? ;)

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
JohnMor said:
I agree that 5,000 would be too much, but still, I don't think too many people expected such a quick sell-out on The Train, which while a great film, was never as famous or as highly regarded in general as AMFAS. Add to that a 4K remastering and I think we're going to see a brisk seller with this title. And recently TT said on their FB page that Richard III is selling briskly and in greater numbers than they expected. Which is great. Sometimes you just never know.
Let's hope for TT's sake, as well as ours in terms of great films being released by TT, that this all comes true.

Reactions: JohnMor

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
JohnMor said:
...possibly due to that often underestimated market for modernized, alternate-universe, fascist-style adaptations of Shakespeare. :rolleyes:

Ejanss

Effects Supervisor
BANNED
Real Name
EricJ
JohnMor said:
I think the lesson here is not to EXPECT:

Warner wants to personally execute the disk industry because a title didn't sell as well as they expected it to...And TT is having trouble with sellout titles that sell more than they expect to.

And where do expectations come from? Not from us, the public....

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
ROclockCK said:
...possibly due to that often underestimated market for modernized, alternate-universe, fascist-style adaptations of Shakespeare. :rolleyes:
Plus forensic film buffs probably want to compare Sir Ian's bone structure to the recently re-interred remains of the real Richard. :rolleyes:

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
I didn't mean to imply that A Man For All Seasons won't do well for Twilight Time. I think at 3,000 they'll do just fine. It was just the notion that an extra 2,000 needed to be pressed to accommodate the demand that I found, um ..... amusing.

battlebeast

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Thomas T said:
I didn't mean to imply that A Man For All Seasons won't do well for Twilight Time. I think at 3,000 they'll do just fine. It was just the notion that an extra 2,000 needed to be pressed to accommodate the demand that I found, um ..... amusing.
Well, laugh all you want, but from what I've read, there will be a
Lot of people in line for this title, and I think it will sell out very quickly.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat