What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time January 2018 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It is very raw and often quite unsettling even if you didn't know what was going on in real-life between the two stars. I like the movie a lot, but I only have it on laserdisc as it's one of the Allen films I return to least frequently. I will certainly be getting this, however.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The problem is that "us" are actually individuals rather than an actual collective mentality. [...]
Which "us" should they listen to? And "us" are a dying breed anyway. [...]
I think it was about a year ago that I envisioned and posted the idea of every HTF member banning together and creating a living community; with, of course, a couple of single-screened 4K/UHD movie theaters. Not necessarily a retirement community, by any means, but an exclusive town made up of like-minded movie lovers. If I recall correctly, I think I also suggested that the town be run by the good folks of TT and film archivists, alike. Expandiing upon that idea, the "us" no longer need be a dying breed; for like a Noah's Ark, some of us can be fruitful and multiply; spawning another populace and generation of avid film lovers and building a future where restorations and physical media become the norm and necessity.:)

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
I already own all 4 titles on DVD. The only one I will upgrade is Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. One of the seminal films of the 1960s. I only hope TT will include the superb audio commentary by Paul Mazursky, Dyan Cannon, Elliott Gould and Robert Culp from the DVD!
i agree that it is indeed a terrific commentary. The one thing that has always stuck out in my mind about that commentary is the slight but apparent annoyance displayed by Cannon and Gould when the subject of their ex-spouses come up. Dyan Cannon at one point mentions Barbra Streisand to Elliott Gould, and her comment is met by his complete silence. Then, not long afterwards, Gould brings up Cary Grant to Cannon (which, reading between the lines, seems to be in retaliation for Cannon's remark about Streisand), and that comment is also met by complete silence from her. Interesting stuff.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Great set of titles. Delighted to get Husbands and Wives on Blu-ray.

Like others have mentioned, here is hoping that Manhattan Murder Mystery is in the works for release on BD through TT.
It was the "Woody is back with a great film" movie.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I also don't mean to derail this thread (since these are all terrific films), but I was hoping to see You Were Never Lovelier announced (as I have for the past several months).

Twilight Time, is this in the pipeline?
It was rumored you acquired both Astaire/Hayworth films. After purchasing You'll Never Get Rich, I thought the second would follow soon.

After we had licensed the title, Sony informed us there were "music rights issues" left to be resolved - we said fine, just let us know when that is taken care of - and that was the last we heard about it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think it was about a year ago that I envisioned and posted the idea of every HTF member banning together and creating a living community; with, of course, a couple of single-screened 4K/UHD movie theaters. Not necessarily a retirement community, by any means, but an exclusive town made up of like-minded movie lovers. If I recall correctly, I think I also suggested that the town be run by the good folks of TT and film archivists, alike. Expandiing upon that idea, the "us" no longer need be a dying breed; for like a Noah's Ark, some of us can be fruitful and multiply; spawning another populace and generation of avid film lovers and building a future where restorations and physical media become the norm and necessity.:)

Excellent idea.
Just one small proviso .. the community be no more than an hour away from Melbourne Australia...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
We agree, Brad - plus the most important thing, which is the quality of that studio's masters are way below the others in regard to their readiness for blu-ray - they also pressure us to release too many all at once , and we prefer a more manageable pace - so this December's slate represents the last of MGM/UA as far as we're concerned.

Does this mean fewer discs each month or will Twilight Time increase the number of titles they release from other studios?
The studio with consistently the highest standard is Sony. There are several fairly obscure Columbia films that I'd love to have on disc. One, Tank Force (aka No Time To Die) stars Victor Mature, a Twilight Time regular.

Tank Force.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Nothing for me this month but since I'm still catching up from all the August -October releases my wallet appreciates the break.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. Never even had a DVD release and was a staple on Cable through the 80's.

You mean it never had a region 1 release. Some of us who have region free players have the British R2 DVD. It's a Studio Canal release. It was an EMI film and Columbia was just the U.S. distributor. Do they have the home media rights in the U.S.?

Real Name
Wade Williams
+DRAGONWYCK is a rare title. As a collector years ago I had the opportunity to watch a 35MM nitrate fine grain of the film.
It is, like many Fox films "head and shoulders" above many MGM titles. Everything about the film is superb and thank god Twilight
Time has the opportunity to get some of the great Fox films.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As one who has worked in the public service industry in the past, I can assure you the customer is not always right! He just thinks he is :)

And employers pretty much demand of their underlings that they bow to customers, right or wrong.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I work for the local phone company here in CT, some days can be very challenging :blink:

I use to work as a commissioned salesman for PC Richard & Sons in Newington, CT. I always tried to please the customer. Then, they would come back and buy more stuff from me!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I don't think the customer is always right. But I do think in order to maintain a steady business you have to think that. Social media could hurt or kill a business, and being "yelped" in a negative manner enough could be harmful. It is the world we live in.

Back to Twilight Time; I'm very happy to see the increase of Fox and Sony titles. My Sony wish list is quite extensive and sadly I will miss out on titles they chose to release as a BD-r.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Does this mean fewer discs each month or will Twilight Time increase the number of titles they release from other studios?
The studio with consistently the highest standard is Sony. There are several fairly obscure Columbia films that I'd love to have on disc. One, Tank Force (aka No Time To Die) stars Victor Mature, a Twilight Time regular.

View attachment 41215

We'll still average around 4 per month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks