What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time Jan/Feb 2016 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yep, picking up plenty tomorrow.

Also not sure why so many are calling the roadshow transfer of Hawaii pan and scan. There's no panning or scanning, the whole image is there, just not anamorphic. If it was truly pan & scan with half the image chopped off like the old Exodus DVD, I doubt Twilight Time would have even bothered to include it even as a bonus feature.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ronald Epstein said:
John O’Hara’s hard-hitting novel of career ambition and romantic turmoil comes to hi-def Blu-ray​
with a top-of-their-game all-star cast, from the director of Peyton Place.

FROM THE TERRACE
Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release​
Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com
Once they are gone – they are gone!​
RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, JANUARY 19, 2016

“The study of one man’s pursuit of success and money…Woodward is excellent as the wife who married Newman despite the objections of her socially-prominent family.” Variety

“Highly watchable, with Paul and Joanne pretending their marriage is on the rocks, and all sorts of machinations in the boardroom and the bedroom.” Time Out London

“This is a handsome picture, well-performed and emotionally intriguing as it describes the rise of a young business man and the corrosive dead-lock of his loveless marriage. Mr. Newman and Miss Woodward, his actual spouse, are sturdily supported by a good cast.”
– Howard Thompson, The New York Times

Mark Robson produces and directs this adaptation of John O’Hara’s novel about an ambitious climber (Paul Newman) who marries a promiscuous, bitchy socialite wife (Joanne Woodward), falls for a nice girl (Ina Balin), and has to deal with the vagaries of his difficult parents (Leon Ames and the sublime Myrna Loy). Featuring a screenplay by Ernest Lehman (North by Northwest, The Sound of Music) and a stupendous score by Elmer Bernstein, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

All true Joanne Woodward fans know this already, but From The Terrace is essential viewing for her admirers because she plays a type of character she was rarely offered: glamorous, sexy and well-dressed. She is absolutely superb.

I've always enjoyed this film ever since I first saw it in a re-run theater when I was about fifteen years old! (A long time ago! :) )

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
JoHud said:
Yep, picking up plenty tomorrow.

Also not sure why so many are calling the roadshow transfer of Hawaii pan and scan. There's no panning or scanning, the whole image is there, just not anamorphic. If it was truly pan & scan with half the image chopped off like the old Exodus DVD, I doubt Twilight Time would have even bothered to include it even as a bonus feature.
Thanks, JoHud -- and just to confirm as you suggest the roadshow presentation is NOT pan-and-scan, the entire image is there, but is presented non-anamorphically inside the 4x3 frame. Viewers of course do have the option to use the "zoom" feature on their players which will blow the image up to full-width letterbox, but will slightly "stretch" the image in so doing. Isolated score tracks are presented on both versions of the film.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I think it's great that we're getting the Roadshow version of Hawaii. I plan on getting that one along with a few others.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just ordered the following titles, I hope I get them on-time instead of a week after release date.:)

The Last Detail

From the Terrace (Personal favorite of mine from my childhood)

Hawaii

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I got them all. Bound for Glory for its Wexler cinematography; and The Happy Ending for the luminous performances from Jean Simmons and Shirley Jones. Both movies have great soundtracks as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bujaki said:
I got them all. Bound for Glory for its Wexler cinematography; and The Happy Ending for the luminous performances from Jean Simmons and Shirley Jones. Both movies have great soundtracks as well.
I might buy those two titles later on.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I'll be ordering Hawaii in a few days, once I refill my coffers with badly-needed entertainment funds.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Got "From the Terrace" and "The Last Detail". Might pick up "Hawaii" in next months batch.

In other Twilight Time news... arrived home today to find a Screen Archives parcel awaiting me, with six Twilight Time titles inside! It's not cheap importing them to the UK but it's worth it.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robert Crawford said:
I just ordered the following titles, I hope I get them on-time instead of a week after release date. :)

The Last Detail

From the Terrace (Personal favorite of mine from my childhood)

Hawaii
I picked up From The Terrace as well - should look great.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I remember chasing THE HAPPY ENDING to a second-run house in The Bronx (can't remember why I missed it in Manhattan where I lived). It was worth the trip. Jean Simmons is truly remarkable; and her last line, a question, is delivered with such rueful understanding, that it will stay with you for a long, long time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
James Michener’s epic chronicle of the history of America’s 50th state continues
with the underrated, action-packed follow-up to Hawaii, now on dazzling Blu-ray!
“THE HAWAIIANS”
Only 3,000 units available at​
RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16TH, 2016

“A movie with reasonable claims to having something for almost everybody…That the spectacle moves so well, and generally with such efficient and attractive modesty, I think is owing to Tom Gries’s craftsmanship.” —Roger Greenspun, The New York Times

“Crams an enormous amount of narrative into 134 minutes…the land itself becomes the most arresting character—it’s easy to see why generations of people battled for control over this vast paradise.”
—Peter Hanson, Every ’70s Movie

Beginning 40 years after the events depicted in Hawaii (1966, also from Twilight Time), The Hawaiians (1970) offers new generations of Hawaiians, Americans, and newly arrived Asians, all dealing with the rapidly changing world of their island paradise. Chief among these are Whip Hoxworth (Charlton Heston), a renegade plantation owner who introduces the pineapple to the island economy and has a complicated personal life; and Nyuk Tsin (Tina Chen) and Mun Ki (Mako), Chinese indentured servants who must face a series of terrible tribulations. Directed by Tom Gries (Will Penny) and gorgeously photographed by Lucien Ballard and Phillip H. Lathrop.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quintessential Film Noir from screen writer Ben Hecht and director Otto Preminger, emerging in all its shadowy glory onto Blu-ray in a brand-new 4K restoration!
“WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS”

“Preminger’s superior noir boasts hardboiled and sardonic dialogue, courtesy of Ben Hecht, but also a surprising strain of pathos…A weatherbeaten [Dana] Andrews gives one of his finest performances.” Time Out London

“Unwinds with a maximum of suspense and swiftly paced action…features an excellent performance by Dana Andrews…Picture is also notable for better-than-average character portrayals and co-star Gene Tierney.” Variety

The superlative director Otto Preminger reunites Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney—stars of his earlier smash, Laura (1944)—in Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950), a film noir about a brutal cop (Andrews) who accidentally kills a man, then gets in even more deeply when he tries to cover up his crime. Also starring Gary Merrill, Karl Malden, and Bert Freed, and moodily shot by the veteran Joseph LaShelle.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glenn Ford teaches novice Jack Lemmon the ropes of cattle herding in a rousing and funny Western from Jubal and 3:10 to Yuma director Delmer Daves.
“COWBOY”

“A trail drive movie in the tradition of Red River and The Tall Men, but refreshingly unconcerned with grand themes…Without being too strident about it, Cowboy pulls the cowhide rug out from under genre conventions.” —Glenn Erickson, DVD Talk

“The episodic narrative, taking in an Indian attack, a Mexican fiesta, and a cattle stampede, is more romantic than realistic; but it remains consistently atmospheric and enjoyable, with the striking use of landscape characteristic of Daves.” Time Out London

Another Western foray from the inimitable Delmer Daves, Cowboy (1958)—based on a book by the adventurous Frank Harris—tells the tale of a young Chicago hotel clerk (Jack Lemmon) who heads out on a cattle drive under the strict tutelage of a tough veteran (Glenn Ford). Featuring wonderful character turns by the likes of Brian Donlevy, Dick York, Richard Jaeckel, and Strother Martin, the film is supported by a sweeping George Duning score, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Back for an encore after its initial sold-out release: Fritz Lang’s masterpiece of
corruption and obsession, with newly added Special Features!
“THE BIG HEAT”

“Fritz Lang’s greatest masterpiece of film noir…as deceptive and two-faced as anything Lang ever made, with its sunny domestic tranquility precariously separated from a world of violence.” —Roger Ebert

“Mr. Lang can direct a film. He has brought forth a hot one with a sting.” The New York Times

“A narrative drive as efficient and powerful as a handgun.”
Time Out Film Guide

A dark masterpiece of film noir, pantheon director Fritz Lang’s excoriating The Big Heat (1953) takes an unflinching look at the endemic corruption of small-town America, pitting a tough cop (Glenn Ford) against the forces of evil represented by a syndicate boss (Alexander Scourby) and his all-too-obedient flunkies within the police force. Gloria Grahame co-stars, indelibly, as a gangster’s moll with a decent heart, exploited by both good guys and bad; and Lee Marvin makes a terrifying early appearance as a thug whose sharp clothes and fancy apartment do little to conceal his animalistic nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks