What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time Jan/Feb 2016 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Sorry I'm so late to this party but that's life.

I'm definitely in for:

Support Your Local Sheriff/Support Your Local Gunfighter (1969-1971): I've been dying to see these again since I first saw Support Your Local Sheriff on TV back in 1973. First time I ever actually enjoyed a western.

The Big Heat (1953)

Hawaii (1966)

Oh well no Aloha Bobby & Rose (1975) this time around but here's hoping (assuming that TT can get access to AB&R).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Konstantinos said:
from a TT comment on their facebook about HAWAII:

"MGM/UA did not think to do a hi-def master of the roadshow version which has now all but disappeared from view. So our compromise is we have the shorter version in HD, and we will include the roadshow in standard def on the blu as a bonus."
While not perfect, I well accept this. I will be able to retire my laserdisc of the Roadshow.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Okay, now that TT has stated that the roadshow version will be in SD as an extra, I have a second question. Since the roadshow was never released on DVD will this be a new 16X9 transfer or the existing 4X3 letterbox transfer from the Laserdisc?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
While not perfect, I well accept this. I will be able to retire my laserdisc of the Roadshow.
Exactly the way I feel. While not the best of all possible worlds, it's certainly an agreeable compromise, and that's one more laserdisc that can be retired.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Mark-P said:
Okay, now that TT has stated that the roadshow version will be in SD as an extra, I have a second question. Since the roadshow was never released on DVD will this be a new 16X9 transfer or the existing 4X3 letterbox transfer from the Laserdisc?
Unfortunately it can only be the 4x3 laserdisc master. It exists in no other form. The roadshow version is essentially extinct. It does not even show on cable TV any more.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Konstantinos said:

"MGM/UA did not think to do a hi-def master of the roadshow version which has now all but disappeared from view. So our compromise is we have the shorter version in HD, and we will include the roadshow in standard def on the blu as a bonus."
Was there ever a stereo track? Apparently even the roadshow prints were mono save for the reel with the storm at sea.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Konstantinos said:
That goes to Twilight Time's great credit, and to MGM's (further) great shame.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Konstantinos said:

I wish Warner Bros would come up with a similar compromise for Raintree County.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Konstantinos said:

A compromise that will disappoint many but TT can't turn water into wine. Less than perfect but better than nothing.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Twilight Time said:
Unfortunately it can only be the 4x3 laserdisc master. It exists in no other form. The roadshow version is essentially extinct. It does not even show on cable TV any more.

Am I understanding correctly that the "roadshow" version will not be anamorphic? Or that an anamorphic transfer will be made from the 4x3 laserdisc master?

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Twilight Time said:
As clearly stated, the roadshow version will not be anamorphic - it is a letterboxed 4x3 master.

Welp, that's better than nothing at all. Thanks for preserving the roadshow version as best you can, TT! Myself (and many others) give you our most profound and heartfelt gratitude!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
"What are you doing the rest of your life?"....not worrying about a Blu Ray of THE HAPPY ENDING . this great film directed by Richard Brooks, shot by Conrad Hall, with performances Jean Simmons, Shirley Jones, Bobby Darin, Tina Louise, Nanette Fabray and John Forsythe, Teresa Wright and Lloyd Bridges. Legendary score by Michel Legrand.

Thank you TT!!!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Twilight Time said:
As clearly stated, the roadshow version will not be anamorphic - it is a letterboxed 4x3 master.
Pardon for my confusion.

Will the Roadshow Aspect Ration be 4x3, or some type of widescreen?

What is confusing me is the combination of the phrases 'letterboxed' and 4x3 in your reply.

The reason I ask is if it is widescreen, even though the master would be essentially a 'hard-matted' letterbox, you could create a non-letterboxed disc by cropping off the black bars.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
It's basically what the Star Wars Original Unaltered Trilogy DVD's look like. 4x3 laserdisc masters with black bars at the top and bottom.

Cropping the black bars would require making a brand new digital master. TT doesn't make the masters. They use what MGM, Fox, or Sony provide to them. This isn't something they can fix.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
David Weicker said:
Pardon for my confusion.

Will the Roadshow Aspect Ration be 4x3, or some type of widescreen?

What is confusing me is the combination of the phrases 'letterboxed' and 4x3 in your reply.

The reason I ask is if it is widescreen, even though the master would be essentially a 'hard-matted' letterbox, you could create a non-letterboxed disc by cropping off the black bars.

It'll be a widescreen 2.35:1 Panavision image, but letterboxed within a 4x3 frame, as the old laserdisc was.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Keith Cobby said:
Sorry but I cannot see the point of even releasing this in the blu-ray age. If it's on a separate disc it will go straight in the bin.

Agree it's not ideal Keith*. But hardly worthless.

I mean, this isn't our first rodeo...or TT's. We've all seen what happens when a legacy cut is left off the menu due to dodgey specs. Exhibit A: MGM's own theatrical-only DVD edition, long out of print, which still fetches big bucks used. Remember the indignant outcry when that DVD hit the street minus the roadshow cut?

So releasing a new HD Theatrical Cut together with the SD Roadshow Cut for less than the cost of the existing SD Theatrical Cut used is a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" decision any label with a shred of sense would ultimately decide to go with...especially when it's that title's last best chance in the market. IMO, there is still considerable value in such a release**.

In any case, what's the alternative...The Alamo impasse?

* "Gentlemen...start programming your zooms!"

** Elmer Bernstein's epic score in isolated form makes this an instant treasure for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks