What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time August 2017 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Revisited The Way West today. Not my favourite Western, but it showcases three of my favourite star actors in the leads (Robert Mitchum, Richard Widmark and Kirk Douglas).

I was impressed by Lola Albright's performance. I thought she held her own against these heavyweights. Afterwards, I looked up her filmography and saw that she was a singer first and also appeared in Kid Galahad. Another reason for me to pick this up, as if Elvis wasn't enough.

I noticed too that Ms Albright sadly passed away in March this year at the age of 92 (I might have missed an HTF obituary post somewhere). I remember her best from Peter Gunn, but I'll honour her memory by picking up Kid Galahad and Champion (also alongside Kirk Douglas).

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Revisited The Way West today. Not my favourite Western, but it showcases three of my favourite star actors in the leads (Robert Mitchum, Richard Widmark and Kirk Douglas).

I was impressed by Lola Albright's performance. I thought she held her own against these heavyweights. Afterwards, I looked up her filmography and saw that she was a singer first and also appeared in Kid Galahad. Another reason for me to pick this up, as if Elvis wasn't enough.

I noticed too that Ms Albright sadly passed away in March this year at the age of 92 (I might have missed an HTF obituary post somewhere). I remember her best from Peter Gunn, but I'll honour her memory by picking up Kid Galahad and Champion (also alongside Kirk Douglas).
I think Elvis at this point probably would have been a light-heavyweight. ;) I always liked Lola, her looks and voice.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
For what it's worth, I have the Film Detective restored Classics Blu-Ray of BEAT THE DEVIL. It's certainly
not going to win any awards for Best Blu-Ray of the year, but it's a huge improvement over the previous
DVD releases. At $15, I think it's money well spent.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
I agree with you that more of Elvis 's films should be released on Blu-ray, and I also agree that any rare footage should be included as extras . But does any of this material exist at this point in time ?

Possibly, but as the years pass its becoming increasingly unlikely.at the time of the last Viva Las Vegas Blu-Ray that footage was looked for, but none found. With VLV there are potentially 4 songs that may have been cut (2 duets with Ann-Margret) and more footage from the post-race wedding at the end of the film.
In a magazine a few years ago, i saw pics of the film itself and frames of the original ending to Wild In The Country 1960, that may exist in private hands. There was also one song cut that appears in the trailer.

Incidentally , it's a crime that Loving You has been held up in some type or "right" limbo with Universal, since it's one of Elvis's most iconic performances.

I wasnt aware Universal held any rights to Loving You 1957. My 2005 DVD is from Lionsgate, NBC held the original and first rerun airing rights in the 1970s . IMDB doesnt indicate any release since Lionsgate. I dont know how Paramount lost control of this film.

Interesting that Elvis's films owned by smaller companies have mostly been released on Blu-ray , while Warner Brothers and Paramount are lagging behind with only two scripted films being released out of at least 20 potential titles between them!

It is strange isnt it.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
For what it's worth, I have the Film Detective restored Classics Blu-Ray of BEAT THE DEVIL. It's certainly
not going to win any awards for Best Blu-Ray of the year, but it's a huge improvement over the previous
DVD releases. At $15, I think it's money well spent.

Thank you for the tip, I will add it to my preorder list

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
8HeadsInADuffleBag_BD.jpg

Raging Bull and Goodfellas tough guy extraordinaire Joe Pesci means business in a

darkly zany comedy about the looniest luggage mix-up ever, from the Oscar®-winning

screenwriter of Dead Poets Society, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and What About Bob?

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag

Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2017

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag’s roots are in screwball comedy…Joe Pesci is the best thing in the movie; he’s funny every moment he’s on the screen.” – Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“A gem…gonzo…a testament to how entertaining it is to watch Pesci get royally pissed.” – R. Kurt Osenlund, Slant Magazine

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag (1977) is a dark comedy from writer-director Tom Schulman (Dead Poets Society), starring the singular Joe Pesci as a gangster hired to deliver a bag crammed with severed heads to a crime boss who wants proof of their former owners’ demise. On a commercial flight, the head-stuffed bag gets switched with one belonging to a young man (Andy Comeau) on his way to visit his girlfriend (Kristy Swanson) and her parents (George Hamilton, Dyan Cannon); hijinks ensue.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TheEmperorInAugust_BD.jpg

From writer/director Masato Harada (Chronicle of My Mother, Sekigahara) comes a riveting recreation of events of 72 years ago, as the Japanese Emperor and his advisors weighed options for surrender or continued fighting in the closing months of World War II, based on new scholarship regarding what really when on inside the councils of power, and featuring stars of the international Japanese successes Departures, Shall We Dance? and Tampopo.

THE EMPEROR IN AUGUST

(NIHON NO ICHIBAN NAGAI HI KETTEIBAN)

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

“Excellent performances (particularly from Yakusho and Yamazaki) and kinetic style that helps to make the drier parts of the story compelling on a visual level.”

– Andrew Parker, Toronto Japanese Film Festival

“An obvious attention to period detail throughout, giving the film an air of authenticity and gravity…viewers invested in the subject matter and content with its unfussy and detached storytelling should appreciate its educational ambitions.” – James Mudge, easternkicks.com

The Emperor in August (2015) is a Japanese historical drama, directed by Masato Harada (Chronicle of My Mother), about the last days before Japan’s surrender at the end of World War II. It focuses on Emperor Hirohito (Masahiro Motoki), Prime Minister Suzuki (Tsutomo Yamazaki), and War Minister Anami (Kôji Yakusho), contemplating the repercussions of the Potsdam Declaration, a failed military coup, and, more horribly, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
KidGalahad_BD.jpg

Packing an awesome new punch on Blu-ray: From reliable genre filmmaker Phil Karlson

(Kansas City Confidential, The Phenix City Story, Walking Tall) comes a rocking, socking

Elvis Presley favorite about a boxer whose championship hopes are stymied by gangsters

who have his trainer (Gig Young) in their debt. Bouncy seven-tune soundtrack

includes two songs by lyricist Hal David and 1776 composer Sherman Edwards.

Kid Galahad

“Genial entertainment…it has the cheerful top of a lightly romantic contrivance that ranges between comedy and spoof.”

– Bosley Crowther, The New York Times

“An above-average Elvis movie…thanks to Elvis’ natural charm, some solid supporting performances, and picturesque locales.”

– Stuart Galbraith IV, DVDTalk.com

A musical version of a 1937 boxing picture, Kid Galahad (1962) stars Elvis Presley as a singing boxer managed by a cantankerous promoter (Gig Young) and guided by an amiable trainer (Charles Bronson). Joan Blackman provides the love interest, Lola Albright co-stars, and Edward Asner makes his screen début. The songs include the up-tempo “I Got Lucky.”

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TheLongHotSummer_BD.jpg

Characters and plots from William Faulkner stories are splendidly interwoven into a steamy Mississippi-set Cinemascope feast of starpower and yarn-spinning, with a Cannes Film Festival Best Actor performance by Paul Newman in “one of those arrogant-on the-outside, vulnerable-on-the-inside roles that Newman could do better than any other movie actor, and he and Joanne Woodward have some electric, strong scenes together” (Pauline Kael, 5001 Nights at the Movies).

The Long,

Hot Summer

“Paul Newman’s performance as Ben Quick is as mean and keen as a cackle-edge scythe.” Time Magazine

“Strikingly directed by Martin Ritt…melodrama frank and unashamed …Highlighting the diverse and contrasting moods is the fine score by Alex North.” Variety

The extraordinary team of director Martin Ritt and writers Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank Jr. adapt a pair of William Faulkner narratives in The Long, Hot Summer (1958). Paul Newman gives perhaps his most Newmanian performance as a crafty drifter who drops like a bomb into the wealthy Varner family, already a stewpot of lust, rivalry, and dysfunction. Orson Welles is the manipulative paterfamilias; Joanne Woodward his intelligent, wary daughter; Anthony Franciosa his weakling son; Angela Lansbury his long-suffering mistress; and Lee Remick his sexed-up daughter-in-law. This seductive cocktail is handsomely scored by the great Alex North.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SuddenlyLastSummer_BD.jpg

Now in lustrously beautiful 1080p high-definition! One of the screen’s most daring and searingly acted adaptations of a Tennessee Williams play brings together three top stars and one of Hollywood’s foremost directors for the provocative tale of dark family secrets that challenged storytelling taboos of the time on the way to huge box-office success.

SUDDeNLY,

LaST SUMMeR

“Superbly adapted, with blistering performances from Taylor and Hepburn…with [Gore] Vidal adding extra venom to already high camp horror, but with a hothouse pleasure in eloquence.” – Kim Newman, Empire

“An outrageous, melodramatic shocker…replete with enough imagery to sustain an American Lit seminar for months…It works.” Time Out London

Joseph L. Mankiewicz directs this 1959 adaptation by Gore Vidal and Tennessee Williams of Williams’ provocative play, Suddenly, Last Summer. Elizabeth Taylor stars as a young woman who knows such terrible truths about the death of her cousin Sebastian that his mother (Katharine Hepburn) is determined to have her lobotomized; Montgomery Clift is the psychiatrist brought in to evaluate the lovely, profoundly disturbed patient. Both Taylor and Hepburn received Best Actress Oscar® nominations; the film, denounced as obscene, was a hit at the box office.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Now in lustrously beautiful 1080p high-definition! One of the screen’s most daring and searingly acted adaptations of a Tennessee Williams play brings together three top stars and one of Hollywood’s foremost directors for the provocative tale of dark family secrets that challenged storytelling taboos of the time on the way to huge box-office success.

SUDDeNLY,

LaST SUMMeR

“Superbly adapted, with blistering performances from Taylor and Hepburn…with [Gore] Vidal adding extra venom to already high camp horror, but with a hothouse pleasure in eloquence.” – Kim Newman, Empire

“An outrageous, melodramatic shocker…replete with enough imagery to sustain an American Lit seminar for months…It works.” Time Out London

Joseph L. Mankiewicz directs this 1959 adaptation by Gore Vidal and Tennessee Williams of Williams’ provocative play, Suddenly, Last Summer. Elizabeth Taylor stars as a young woman who knows such terrible truths about the death of her cousin Sebastian that his mother (Katharine Hepburn) is determined to have her lobotomized; Montgomery Clift is the psychiatrist brought in to evaluate the lovely, profoundly disturbed patient. Both Taylor and Hepburn received Best Actress Oscar® nominations; the film, denounced as obscene, was a hit at the box office.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Well done Twilight Time! They knew which still to put on their cover! Too bad they don't sell in stores. With that cover picture of Elizabeth Taylor at her most desirable, they'd have shifted a lot of stock quickly!:)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Well done Twilight Time! They knew which still to put on their cover! Too bad they don't sell in stores. With that cover picture of Elizabeth Taylor at her most desirable, they'd have shifted a lot of stock quickly!:)

It's baffling to me that in all the home video releases Suddenly, Last Summer has seen (at least in North America) it never occurred to Columbia/Sony to use that iconic image!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's baffling to me that in all the home video releases Suddenly, Last Summer has seen (at least in North America) it never occurred to Columbia/Sony to use that iconic image!
During last month's tribute to gay cinema on TCM, I was astonished when noted author William Mann declared that the iconic picture of Elizabeth in that white suit was a publicity shot and that she never appeared in the movie in a bathing suit! I shouted back at the TV that they needed to rewatch the movie!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I pre-ordered The Long Hot Summer. Just in time to watch in this long hot summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks