What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time April 2019 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A fabulous lineup. MELVIN AND HOWARD is arguably the greatest American film of the 1980's and should be the shinning achievement that Jonathan Demme is known for, rather than that cliched film about a stereotyped serial killer. (Hey, my opinion, but one I hold strongly)

I've been waiting a long time to see a decent version of THE SNAKE PIT and Leo Tover's monumentally lucid cinematography.

Personally, I'm not as big a fan of THE PAPER CHASE, but James Bridges is a major stylist whose work I feel has grown richer and deeper over time and THE PAPER CHASE, divorced by its early 70's teen romance trappings, may indeed hold up much better, as many Forum members here have already mentioned.

And now we come to STAGECOACH, a very personal and underrated achievement of its director Gordon Douglas, which works remarkably well--including Alex Cord's performance---as it's part of an ensemble which is linked to the director's sense of timing and loose but visceral composition. The "Cahiers de Cinema" crowd were really enthusiastic about Douglas' STAGECOACH when it was first released, referring to Douglas' almost winking, self-conscious use of cinematic genre imagery "revolutionary" in terms of its connection to a loose as a goose ensemble where the sum is greater than the parts, though Ann Margaret does at moments almost upset the apple cart. Most importantly, Douglas' STAGECOACH needs to be viewed within its own time as a production from the 1960's, and also to the resonance of its cast without any comparison to the previous film, which has its own legend. One might even argue, though I might not necessarily agree, that Gordon's STAGECOACH is superior simply because it does not have the legend or aura that the previous film does, and is in fact gloriously subversive in that it attacks and undermines all attempts at creating a legend, but does so within its own newfound, cinematic prose. Anyway, that's an argument for another time and place.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron,

You can clearly see John Wayne from the 1939 film in the picture at the top of this thread and on the banner page.

Someone on the team hijacked this thread with the John Wayne image. That's not my doing. I posted the poster art. Let me see who is responsible for posting the John Wayne image.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Was Stagecoach ever released with a 4.0 stereo track? IMDB says it was but we know they are not always correct.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Solid month. Count me in for Melvin and Howard, The Paper Chase and The Snake Pit.

Reactions: PMF

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Was Stagecoach ever released with a 4.0 stereo track? IMDB says it was but we know they are not always correct.

This CD says it's the original soundtrack with stereo sound.

stage.jpg

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Everyone reading this probably knows that the real Melvin Dummar (the subject of Melvin and Howard) died on 12/09/2018 at age 74 years. In the film, you can see the real Melvin behind a bus station lunch counter.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
In for The Snake Pit and The Paper Chase. I wonder if they will include in the commentary or essay information about the scene(s) cut featuring Celeste Holmes' character, in The Snake Pit ,who disappears after the beginning of the picture. Won't mention here in case someone would consider it a spoiler, but it was interesting. Most likely cut scenes no longer exist.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
ATTENTION

Due to unforeseen circumstances, THE PAPER CHASE will not be part of the April lineup.

Twilight Time will be replacing the title with THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (1954) (2016 4k transfer)

View attachment 55287

This is great news! For me anyway. I'm not a fan of The Paper Chase and have long been dreaming of a HD release of Three Coins In The Fountain. Thank you, Twilight Time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks