What's new

3D HTF Exclusive: First look at Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs and Coraline on 3D Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The "killer app" may very well be gaming. There are a lot of "gamers" in both of the college courses I'm taking, and they practically drooled when I told them I was demo-ing 3-D at Panasonic two weeks ago.

It will be interesting to see what announcements come out of E3 next month, particularly from Sony and their PS3 game developers.

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

/forum/thread/300691/htf-exclusive-...rs-and-coraline-on-3d-blu-ray/30#post_3695083

KenWilhelm

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Wilhelm
I noticed you both think Plasma is the way to watch 3D. I was going to buy a 73" Mitsubishi DLP Rear Projection for 3D - am I wrong?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ken,

Nope, you are not wrong.

One of our Moderators, Gregg Lowen, is a calibrationist.

He is recommending the Mitsubishi DLP citing that it is

an outstanding display. I am aware that DLP is going for

about $1300 these days.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by KenWilhelm [/SIZE]

I think that the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player can output a 3D checkerboard pattern. If it can then you probably won't need the adapter box Mits is making for their TVs for 3D Blu-ray.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I haven't checked out the 3D material yet, but IMO regular DLP still looks better than regular LCD or Plasma.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sony just announced (no specific release date yet) that they are coming out with Monster House, and Open Season on 3D Blu-ray. They had previously announced Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Is that really what they're doing? Wouldn't that effectively reduce the dynamic range of the 3D image (possibly to a substantial degree)?

Hmmm... How does it actually work? Maybe the HDMI spec allows the source component to override the display's user-adjusted settings in order to yield the least reduction in dynamic range (assuming the user settings are not already maxed out)? If that's the case, I hope that works w/ HDMI 1.3 -- I have one of the (Samsung) DLPs w/ 3D capability though I haven't tried any "real" 3D on it yet.
I'm not sure how they do it, but the picture (contrast, color, etc) looked the same between 2D and 3D. From what I have heard there are different color settings between 2D and 3D. I'll try to track down more info or an engineer.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Man-Fai,

I honestly don't know the technical specifics of how the brightening compensation for the shutter lenses works, but I can tell you that I did not notice any reductions in dynamic range. In other words, it didn't feel to me that the image was either washed out, or that the colors were reduced or altered. When we switched back and forth between 2D and 3D modes, the only difference was that one was viewed in 2D without glasses, and the other was viewed with the glasses on, but without any discernible color difference.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I read somewhere, I think it was on DBSTalk.com that DirecTv will not be supporting "checkerboard" 3D on any of their 3D channels.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Depends. For the price you can't go wrong. DLP 3D works a little different than the True3D full resolution method currently used by Samsung, Panasonic, LG and soon Sony. The DLP divides the screen into a "checkerboard" and combines the left and right views into a single frame, essentially giving you a half resolution image. Depending on the amount of 3D you plan on watching this may not be a big deal for you as they are currently priced very aggressively.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr

I read somewhere, I think it was on DBSTalk.com that DirecTv will not be supporting "checkerboard" 3D on any of their 3D channels.

Which means you would need to buy the adapter box which will convert the signal to the checkerboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks