What's new

HTF EARLY REVIEW: "Driven" - The next demo disc! (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Can someone say a movie is "mindless fun"? Yes.
Can someone else say it's "mindless" but NOT "fun"? Also yes.
Can they both be right? Yes, because the reaction to the movie is subjective.
Therefore, I don't understand why people get so out of whack about a strongly expressed differing opinion. Some had fun with the mindlessness, others didn't. What's the big deal?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well guys, there is another section of the forum where you can discuss why Driven's prints should be cut up and used for guitar picks. :) Please feel free to start a thread over there discussing why this film is symptomatic of the worst excesses of mainstream Hollywood filmmaking.
The point is that this thread deals with the reference quality aspects of the DVD, irrespective of the quality of the film. The simple fact is that some folks are looking for a visceral experience that happens to be film based. Those folks will probably be happy with this film, despite the objections raised in this thread. I say live and let live.
And while I understand the objections and the ombudsmen nature of 'warning' others of negative film experiences, they are not the province of this particular thread.
As always, just my $0.02.
- Walter.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'm going to say the following, and hopefully it will be the end of this silly discussion.
once said:
Absolutely not. When people post and give their opinions, I personally have no problem with that and respect their opinions. It's when someone, when giving their opinion, slights the opposite viewpoint that I feel compelled to post again (or "hammer" the point home).
Obi, as you know, I have posted numerous times thanking you for reviews (I've been reading them since the early 1990's) and praising your opinion. In this instance though, I would say we just disagree. Perhaps in the future you could just give your opinion (which is highly respected), and not the commentary or potshot at those who hold an opposite view. I do know how to have fun at the movies.
wink.gif

Regards,
Dan

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>While I can't speak for others, I responded to your post because you seemed to berate anyone who didn't like the movie

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Opinions are like xxxxxxxx , we all have one. But there's a big difference between "imposing" an opinion or judging people's opinion in a "I have the truth, you don't" way and just giving a personal opinion (pro or con).
Ron gave his opinion and it's his own and I respect that. But Robert did not and I join Colin and Dan, if I may, in their comment.
It's like people who say: "this is ugly" as a fact and people saying: "I don't like this but this is me".
I prefer the latter persons.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Why do I get the feeling that we will have the same discussion when Pearl Harbor comes out :)
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on August 31, 2001 at 05:36 PM]

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The best demo DVD is one with a demo-quality FILM and presentation.
Here's what I think are demo-quality discs:
Wizard of Oz
North By Northwest (Who doesn't love the Herrmann score?)
Fantasia (I skip over Pastoral Symphony to keep guests from asking why the image gets blurry for 30 seconds...!@#$ing Disney self-censorship!)
Jurrasic Park (DD 5.1, matted)
The Abyss: SE
I'd put Lawrence of Arabia there, but demos really shouldn't last more than 3 hours.
crazy.gif

I'm sure my next demo disc will probably be Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
A+ film + A+ picture + A+ sound + A+ extras = demo disc.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Auto racing is simply too fast and "bigger than life" to be captured properly by film or video.
i saw the CART race in Miami in '95 and it completely ruined watching it on TV for me.

Robert George

Screenwriter
...I responded to your post because you seemed to berate anyone who didn't like the movie.
Wrong, Colin. I'm berating people that can't allow others to enjoy something without trying to make them feel like they are somehow inferior because they like something that doesn't meet some "standard" of excellence. Do I have to quote the entire first page of this thread to make my point. We've been over this ground before. The "berating" started as soon as Ron had the audacity to imply there was something enjoyable about this disc.
Here's a bit of advice to those that don't like this movie. Don't buy it. But don't try to ruin it for others that don't share your opinion.

Garry I

Stunt Coordinator
Robert George,
I have to say you are in the minority with this one.
It just seems that there is a general consensus that DRIVEN is a not so good movie. Having not seen the movie myself i cannot comment on it. A lot of people at the HTF generally have similar opinions. They know what a not so good movie is when they see one e.g Hannibal (read through the threads)and based on this forum and many other review sites i most probably will not be buying DRIVEN.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to point out that the original post was commenting primarily on the quality of the sound and transfer, not the quality of the plot or it's accuracy.
Why do a lot of people have The Haunting DTS DVD? I mean, the movie is not good at all. However, the bass will knock your grandmother off her walker so people buy it even though it's a bad movie.
One last thing. People that have intimate knowledge of a subject are sometimes at a disadvantage when it comes to movies. It makes it hard to step back and enjoy the movie for what it's meant to be, entertainment. My brother-in-law was a Classics major in college. He can't watch Gladiator without pointing out all of the inaccuracies. Me? I loved it because it was a fun and entertaining movie.
Opinions vary guys. That's not a bad thing.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...I responded to your post because you seemed to berate anyone who didn't like the movie.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong, Colin. I'm berating people that can't allow others to enjoy something without trying to make them feel like they are somehow inferior because they like something that doesn't meet some "standard" of excellence. Do I have to quote the entire first page of this thread to make my point. We've been over this ground before. The "berating" started as soon as Ron had the audacity to imply there was something enjoyable about this disc.
I went back and re-read the first page, ie everything prior to your initial post. While some strong opinions popped up, I saw no instances where anyone attacked another person. Sure, people stated how much they disliked the film, but nobody called Ron - or others - names or slammed them for their enjoyment of it.
In fact, the first direct reference to posters on the HTF came from your discussion of "fun". Some followed, such as the asinine reference to Ron being on the WB payroll, but prior to your post, no one specifically said anything negative about the previous posters.
Ron introduced the discussion with comments about the quality of the movie. At that point, it becomes fair game to relate feelings about it. Had he devoted his original post solely to technical issues, that'd be different, but he didn't. As such, all remarks about the film - positive AND negative - should be acceptable as long as they don't get nasty. Maybe you'll disagree, but I don't think they ever reached that level...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Robert George

Screenwriter
I have to say you are in the minority with this one.
So what? My opinion isn't subject to some litmus test of popularity. I don't need the approval of others to stand by my position.
There is a kind of tyranny at work here. The tyranny of popular opinion. I, for one, do not succumb to these self-appointed arbitors of taste. I don't need someone to tell me what is "good" and what is "bad". I'm quite capable of deciding for myself, and I don't feel the need to overwhelm others with my opinions.
This thread represents to me the worst aspects of this medium. Too many critics and not enough enthusiasts. Bah! Usenet rhetoric.

Robert George

Screenwriter
...I saw no instances where anyone attacked another person.
The attack is implicite, not explicite. Not on individuals, but on ideas. Stating an opinion, as an opinion, is one thing. Stating flatly that something is devoid of any redeeming qualities implies that those that find some value in it are stupid. People that do this are only trying to make themselves superior.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Differing opinions on films is fine but getting into a deep and spirited discussion about a film, few will consider high in cinematic achievement just leaves me in a state of puzzlement. Also, I get a strong feeling that some like raining on other people's parades and it's not just stating a contrary point of view.
Crawdaddy
------------------

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
quote: Stating flatly that something is devoid of any redeeming qualities implies that those that find some value in it are stupid[/quote]
Does this mean that if one's honest and genuine opinion is that a film is devoid of redeeming qualities, one should never say so (including, say, Roger Ebert)? Wouldn't one be dishonest by not saying so? And isn't there value in trying to get better product out of the studios by honestly critiquing them? If honesty is in conflict with the potential to offend someone, what is the higher value? Does honesty always take a back seat to not wanting to offend? Are you saying people are the real target and not the film? Keep in mind this is a subjective reaction we're talking about, not an objective evaluation. What others call mindless, you call fun.
------------------
[Edited last by RobertR on September 01, 2001 at 02:54 AM]

CraigMc

Grip
I'll just wade in here even though we are getting a little off-topic...
Here's a bit of advice to those that don't like this movie. Don't buy it. But don't try to ruin it for others that don't share your opinion.
I don't see the problem with sharing an opinion about a movie whether we like it or not... are we only allowed to post now if we actually like the movie??
I felt this thread was actually fairly courteous and respectful for other opinions of the movie until suddenly the fact that when someone expressed dislike for the movie, it was interpreted that all should feel this way, and those must be a lacking the ability to view a movie as just "fun".
Posting impressions or opinions of a movie is just as much fair game as writing a review of a movie. Commenting in a thread that follows a review of a movie is even more so.
Please don't suggest that we should not post our opinions on a film to the membership. This forum is for discussion, this is what we were doing.
I'm getting that ugly usenet feeling from this thread.
------------------
Craig McDonald

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matthew,
I'll be happy to close your account here.
I want to make this clear....
I don't do positive movie reviews for
any kickbacks from the studios.
My policy is, if I don't like a DVD, I don't
review it. I am here to help promote the
good DVDs I receive.
Perhaps this is why you don't see much MGM
titles reviewed from me. They had been sending
me garbage and I just couldn't bring myself to
reviewing some of the titles.
DRIVEN was not a great movie by any means.
But you know what? I had a lot of fun with it,
and that counts for something. For 2 hours, I
was blown away by the transfer and sound. And, yes,
I enjoyed the racing sequences immensely no matter
how much some of you felt it looked fake.
Had the movie been a disappointment, I would
not have reviewed it.
Now....
It amazes me to see how much garbage you guys
have posted in this thread. It looks like stuff
I would find on a newsgroup.
Everyone is allowed to express their opinion,
and I am tired of seeing people quick to jump on
others because they feel it is an opinion that is
totally opposite of theirs.
I implore everyone to cool their jets in this
thread or we will be happy to remove accounts.
This board will not turn into a newsgroup.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I think this is silly and very stupid, that we have to litterally attack a person(s) about a certain movie(s).
Give your opinions why you like/dislike a film, or it's sound/picture. But don't attack someone for it.
Especially the people that help run this terrific site.
I agree with Ron, I'm sure there are some movies, that he rolls his eyes at, but you don't see him attacking anybody in here.
Give people respect in here
Were all movie lovers :)
Just for the record...I gave the reasons why I thought this was crap, but didn't attack anybody :)
It is nice tho- to see everybody's opinion on this movie :)
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks