What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD Review: Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death (1 Viewer)

Waylander

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the review.

Wow, that's very disappointing about the framing. Makes me feel like the old days when I couldn't afford the letterbox releases on laserdisc and had to make do with pan-and-scan VHS. Now I can't afford Blu-ray and makes regular DVD owners seem like second class citizens. They could have easily included encodes both 4X3 and 16X9 versions.
With all the various releases of Wallace and Gromit over the years I would have hoped for 'ultimate' stlye re-releases for a 20th Anniversay Collection, but this has killed my enthusiasm.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Was it really filmed at 1.78:1 or was it released at 1.78:1? A lot of films are shot full frame and then cropped for theatrical release. Have you compared the dvd to the blue ray?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I reveiwed both the DVD and Blu-ray, and the Blu-ray had more information on the left and right sides of the frame.

Quote from my review above:
For some unknown reason, Lionsgate and HIT Entertainment have released A Matter of Loaf and Death, in a full-screen 1.33:1 transfer, despite being filmed at an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, as evidenced on the Blu-ray release. Thus, some information on the left and right edges are lost in this cropped transfer.

Quote from my review above:
This is also the first Wallace and Gromit short that utilized digital cinematography with a customized digital still camera (the same technology used on Corpse Bride).

Patrick H.

Second Unit
This is an appalling disc. Considering that the making-of piece IS in anamorphic widescreen, and is full of clips from the film, the severity of the cropping becomes quickly apparent. Cute details, and even important gags like some of Gromit's reactions are gone. The animators made full use of the new ratio in a very fast-paced and complicated short, and all of that work is trashed via this presentation. The fact that both the making-of and, elsewhere, the 'Cracking Contraptions' bits have been presented properly just adds insult to injury. I love Wallace & Gromit, but if this is the best Lionsgate can do with these popular characters on standard DVD, I'll gladly put my $10 toward something worthwhile.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I bought this assuming that it was in OAR. If the cellophane is still on it, looks like it's time to consider taking it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks