What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Three Stooges Collection Volume Three 1940-1942 (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I read something to the effect (call it a rumor, I guess) that the final set would be the 1958 shorts, plus the two from 1959 and "Have Rocket, Will Travel" as a bonus. Then there also will be a box set of "the sixties features" (which makes sense if the lone 1959 feature is on another release).

But they still should get "Rockin' In The Rockies" in there somewhere (as the only starring feature with Curly). And maybe do like the TCM Archives Laurel & Hardy set, with their cameos in various feature films...who knows? We'll see.

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
obviously there are many ways they can add cool stuff to later volumes. Meanwhile, continued kudos to Sony for getting this series right. Fabulous quality at an affordable price. I can't stress enough the importance of sending a nice e-mail praising Sony for their efforts. Heaven knows how many times I e-mailed them when they put out a less than stellar product.
Bill Parisho

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We've watched the first half dozen episode from this fine collection. I can't recommend it highly enough. Interestingly, Moe's favorite episode, You Nazty Spy, wasn't very funny to me. But it was filled with wit and had some biting sarcasm and obvious political aspects that are quite interesting.

I didn't know until I read the notes that A Plumbing We Will Go, one of my favorites, was Curly Howard's favorite episode. I thought that was cool to find out. Such a great undertaking releasing these collections in chronological order.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
If anyone is interested I've seen copies in the nearest Wal-Mart and Best Buy. I guess they're putting them in stores now after all. They were both $19.99, more than the $16.99 at Amazon, and since I have to drive an hour to the stores, it works out better there!

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
There's not a single copy in any of the stores where I live.Who's to blame;Sony or the retailers?

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
I'm so happy that Sony has taken the time to give us the Three Stooges in proper chronological order. Obviously, the one who were in charge of putting these together are big fans themselves.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
We have them in our local Walmarts (two stores) as well as at Best Buy. My son saw the collection at the latter store last week. They had about five or six copies there.

Real Name
Chris
I had to go to four different stores on Tuesday until I literally stumbled on it at Wal-Mart. I think I'll pre-order Vol. 4 to save the hunt.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
In Wal-Mart they were in the TV section, which does and doesn't make any sense. Everyone redsicovered them on TV after all but they were film shorts. WM had two copies and BB had 4 when I was there, and none of V1 and V2. I've ordered them all online, it seems more assured you'll get a copy that way, but stores should still stock them. Complaining to the manager is all you can do really.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Those are good points. I never realized the 'short subject' nature of the films until years after the fact. And beyond this, I only recently (within the past two or three weeks) noticed the line at the bottom of the closing music and credits. I never notice this when the shorts were televised years ago. I wonder if they were even there at that time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks