What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: The Bank Job: 2 Disc Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
ronsreviews_covers_2085290.jpg

The Bank Job: 2 Disc Special Edition

Studio: Lionsgate
Year: 2008
Film Length: 110 minutes
Rating: R
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Languages: English 5.1 EX, English 2.0
Subtitles: English, Spanish
MSRP: $34.98
Cast: Jason Statham, Saffron Burrows

The Film

Occasionally, a strong movie comes along where you wouldn’t expect to find it and leaves you wanting to see more. After watching “The Bank Job”, I was thoroughly surprised to find myself completely engrossed and entertained by what I had just seen. The movie begins with some rather lewd pictures being taken of a British royal, which we later learn are being used by Michael X (Peter De Jersey) to blackmail his way out of an assault charge. Tim Everett (Richard Lintern) from MI5 contacts Martine Love (Saffron Burrows) and asks her to hire some thieves to steal the pictures back from the safe deposit box they’re being kept in. Martine gets in touch with Terry Leather (Jason Statham) and pitches him the job. Terry agrees to hear the plan in more detail and brings some of his friends in on it.

Normally, I’d go into more detail about the story but given the nature of the plot it’s very difficult to elaborate without ruining anything. Suffice to say that while the job gets completed, the thieves accidentally steal a book owned by local strip club owner Lew Vogel (David Suchet) in which he keeps his illegal cash payouts to corrupted cops. Terry and his crew quickly find themselves being hunted by the government, the local police, and by Vogel with his corrupted police henchmen.

Picture Quality

Like almost all new DVD releases, the picture quality of “The Bank Job” is fantastic. My Blu-ray’s upscaling certainly helped, but even on my old 480i DVD player and TV the resolution is still very sharp with great color saturation.

Audio Quality

The English 5.1 track is very solid. The soundtrack has a significant amount of electronic quick-pulse tones with some good bass beats as well the standard orchestral score. Considering the audio track is an EX, we’re treated to a matrixed rear channel that adds some extra depth to the film.

Special Features

The 2 disc release of the film has some pretty good special features. You get a “making-of” featurette that covers the casting choices and the amount of historical accuracy intended by the filmmakers. You also get a documentary about the actual robbery from 70’s that inspired the movie. There’s also an audio commentary with director Roger Donaldson, actress Saffron Burrows, and composer J. Peter Robinson that offers some pretty good insights to the film. Additionally, there are a handful of deleted scenes that can be viewed with or without commentary.

The second disc contains a digital download copy of the movie that you can put on a portable media player or a computer.

Summary

I really enjoyed this movie. I’m a big fan of heist films and this one was particularly solid. It was nice to see Jason Statham in a role that wasn’t so much about ass-kicking as it was thinking and scheming. Most importantly, it was very impressive to see how well the filmmakers managed to juggle so many characters and so many separate stories without making any feel like they were lost in the shuffle of the main plot. All in all, this was a damn fine film with plenty of twists, turns, and nudity to satisfy any viewer. I totally recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks