What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" w/scrnshts (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
TOTALLY suprised by T3!!!

I did not see this in the theater for one reason: My home theater is superior... the 6000+ watt tactile feedback just gave life to this movie. The whole house foundation was moving... but the craks can be repaired... It is nice to get nuked along with everyone else for reality sake... more involving.

I always manage never to see previews or trailers and again it pays off!!!

I hope they make final movie Terminator 4 must be coming???!!! Hell you could make a two, even three more movies out of this... perhaps they can bring John's father Reece in for a suprize visit in Termintor 4... No doubt Terminator 4/5 would be similar to Matrix 2 and 3... or just go to the equivalent of Matrix "3" What do you think?

HankM

Second Unit
I also watched this last night. Yes, I was very surprised at how good it was. The crane chase was dynamite, I think it is my new demo scene for now, that is until I pop in my Two Towers EE.

:D

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Eh, the crane chase will be better demo material than ANYTHING in the LOTR trilogy. "Why is that?" you ask?

Well, T3 has some elements that make a demo scene be great, and they would be EXPLOSIONS and GUNFIRE! ;)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Eh, the crane chase will be better demo material than ANYTHING in the LOTR trilogy. "Why is that?" you ask?Well, T3 has some elements that make a demo scene be great, and they would be EXPLOSIONS and GUNFIRE!
Well i'll give ya the gunfire, but the explosion at Helm's Deep in The Two Towers had bass about as good as it gets and i can only imagine it get deeper and tighter in DTS on the EE. The LOTR:FOTR EE DTS soundtrack is as good as any other DVD out there IMO. That being said, i loved T3 and the DD sountrack is excellent. I went ahead and ordered the R3 DTS version to compare since i have a friend who will buy my R1 version.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
WOW!! What else can you say about this movie's soundtrack! UNBELIEVABLE :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
I loved the action sequences in this one. Talk about spectacular and well done. Holy Smokes! They were jawdropping.
Man that soundtrack had my system working out big time.
The action scenes had unbelievable bass and impact that was felt as well as heard. I think this DD track ranks up there with the best of 'em. As much as a DTS guy that I am, This DD track rocked dude!

I may end up buying this one now.

Later!
Troy

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I also thought that T3 was a good movie. As I also thought T2 was much better than T3. This movie still holds its own IMHO! There is alot of action in this movie and alot of intensity. However I only parcially agree about the sound on this dvd. While IMHO the sound does make good use of surround channels and it is an agressive mix. I find that the DD has its typical muddiness/compressed sound in the center channel. Its like you have to turn up most DD tracks to get the impact out of it. If you turn it up enough most anything will sound dynamic on playback. I was expecting alittle more than what I got but since I knew that it was going to be DD I was not expecting the world. One thing that puzzled me though was why this movie was not DD-EX ??? Good movie and a great transfer so in that regard I am happy. The chase scene with the crane was awsum!

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
I may end up buying this one now.
I did exactly that. I saw this in the movie theater and wasn't that impressed. So I rented it when it was released on DVD last week. But after hearing the soundtrack, I had to buy it.

This is a fun dynamic soundtrack. Great for showing off your audio system.

As the reviewer said, the hell with just ambience for the surrounds. This soundtrack isn't afraid to make itself known.

More action movies should sound like this. You really feel like you are in the middle of this.

Definitely a different soundtrack then the theater version.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Watched it Friday night...wife and I still love it! GREAT action movie, and a plausible extension of the story!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I've heard this movie is excellent but I'll admit I'm a bit hesitant about picking it up. Mainly because I have to wonder if Artisan will "triple dip" this one, as they did with T2....in which case, I may just save my money until an "Ultimate" or "Extreme" or "Totally Phenomenal" edition hits stores. lol.

If I knew this was going to be the definitive release, I'd get it hands-down, but I sincerely doubt that'll be the case.

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this last week and was pleasantly surprised.Although I did not care for most of Arnold's cheesy lines and I thought the actor who played John Conner was not very convincing.Those complaints aside,I still LOVED this movie because the action was so well done.Normally a movie that relies on action doesn't usually cut it in my book.But T3 took old action elements and made them jawdropping and fresh(crane car chase,fight in men's restroom).Throw in one of the top 3 dvd soundtracks I've ever heard and this becomes a definite purchase.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I've heard this movie is excellent but I'll admit I'm a bit hesitant about picking it up. Mainly because I have to wonder if Artisan will "triple dip" this one, as they did with T2....
Well, it's not very likely that Artisan will triple dip this one...especially since it is a Warner title! :)

It sounds likely that Warner will eventually release a SE of this one though.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Oops, my bad. lol. But be that as it may, I just read the 7 page thread about the evident framing (or zooming) problems on the WS DVD, so I'm now more convinced than ever to hold out for a SE. Especially if it includes the proper OAR.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I don't think it has been proven, by a long shot, that this isn't OAR.
Well in all fairness, I've yet to see legitimate proof that it is. I'll admit I've not seen T3 in theatres, but after reading the extensive thread about the zooming/mis-framing issue (completely illustrated with accompanying screen captures) as well as testimonials from those who have seen the film in theatres and say that it in fact has been altered visually, I don't know what to believe. After 7 long pages, the scales have tipped in the favor of the fact that the film is not OAR. I read post after post in that thread with the hope that someone could prove otherwise, but alas, this remains inconclusive.

I already made the mistake with the BTTF set and the mis-framing, not to mention going through hell and back to get the faulty disks replaced. I just plan on playing it safe this time until either we receive 100% bona fide proof that this IS OAR, or a special edition is eventually released containing the OAR.

I'm not saying it IS, and I'm not saying it ISN'T. All I know is after reading on and on about how this version differs from the theatrical release, I tend to believe the vast majority who have seen it in theatres, but nonetheless, I'm playing it safe until the truth comes out.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't put much credibility to the so called testimonials,and not because they "lie",but because of the "power of suggestion".BTW I also recall T3 TX scene diferently in the theater,but I wouldn't swear by it,here is why.
Do you guys remember the Hannibal DVD thread regarding the "missing scene".People swore they did see it differently in the theater,even after the DVD producer came in and ensured everybody that it is the same movie by frame,and nothing beeen cut.I wonder if someone from Warner would comment on it,or even Jonathan Mostow himself.

Oh yeah those of you who commented on the sound,you might wanna check out the director commentary at the end rolling credits,he was impressed as well,and gave credit to the sound guys.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
The stupid humour and corny lines just nauseates me. (even with T2). Definitley weak in certain plot areas and character build up. The pacing is too abrupt and feels incoherent at times.

A weak part of the trilogy indeed except for the ending, which was redeeming in some ways

Nevertheless, its a solid stand-alone action flick!

T1 STILL THE BEST

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Frame comparisons of the THEATRICAL image and DVD image and people still don't believe the problem is there. Amazing. Just cover your eyes and the killer won't see you! :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I agree. The effects may be dated, but a great flick nonetheless. At least the first time through T2 did have some intensity to it. T2 was more of an action film than the first and T3 took it to the next level, action with no real urgency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks