What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: South Park Imaginationland - Uncensored Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ronsreviews_covers_1668812.jpg

South Park Imaginationland: Uncensored Director’s Cut
Created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Studio: Paramount
Year: 2007
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Running Time: 65 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0 English
Subtitles: CC
MSRP: $ 19.99

Release Date: March 11, 2008
Review Date: February 28, 2008

The Film

3.5/5

No fan of Comedy Central’s South Park needs to be introduced to its raunchy, politically incorrect characters and storylines. South Park Imaginationland appears to be three episodes of the television series linked by a common story arc joined together into a made-for-DVD film. What’s uncensored is that the profanity isn’t bleeped out as it commonly is on television and there is perhaps a bit more gore, but otherwise, its satirical swipes at everyone and everything continue to be mildly shocking and at the same time hilarious. Fans of the show may enjoy seeing the episodes in “movie size” (16:9) rather than the 4:3 aspect ratio of the TV screenings. For those who aren’t familiar with South Park, this really isn’t the place to get started with the show. Go for the season sets readily available, and save this for later.

The imagination of the country is on the verge of being squelched by an invasion of terrorists who unleash the evil imagination critters (Captain Hook, the Alien creature, Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees among many others) on the forces of right and good (Kurt Russell is sent in to help but gets raped by the Woodland Critters and becomes ineffectual.). Butters (Matt Stone) gets sucked into Imaginationland to use his imagination to come to the aid of the forces of good (Mighty Mouse, Cinderella, Bullwinkle among others) who are being advised by the Council of Nine (among them: Jesus, Luke Skywalker, Popeye, Wonder Woman, and Glinda). Meanwhile, Cartman (Trey Parker) can’t be bothered to help because he’s harassing Kyle (Matt Stone) to fulfill his part of a lost bet by sucking his, er . . . .testicles; Kyle, of course, would rather not.

The satire knows no bounds as everyone comes in for a skewering. Al Gore becomes Super Al soaring into the fray to see if he can help, especially since his old nemesis the Manbearpig is part of the evildoers. Santa Claus and Jesus, who have had their differences on the show before, show up in different roles in these episodes. And when the powers that be need to get their imaginations stimulated to try to brainstorm a way out of their predicament, they turn to three imaginative Hollywood directors for assistance: M. Night Shyamalan, Michael Bay, and Mel Gibson. It should come as no surprise that none of the men come away unscathed though one does manage to help.

It’s as crude as ever and also as funny as ever. I didn’t see these episodes on broadcast television‘s Comedy Central, so it was a treat having the entire story arc presented here in one big gulp. It’s a satisfying one.

Video Quality

3/5

The program is presented in a nonanamorphic 1.78:1 aspect ratio transfer. Because the image hasn’t been enhanced, there is a good bit of digital artifacting including aliasing, pixilation, color banding, and other annoying compression problems. Colors are nice and well saturated, but anamorphic enhancement would have gone a long way into making these TV episodes seem more like the South Park movie many enjoyed some years ago. The film is divided into 18 chapters.

Audio Quality

3.5/5

The Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track does use some discreet sounds in the rears on occasion, and the subwoofer gets some use as well, but most of the track is pitched toward the front channels. It’s not showy, but it gets the job done.

Special Features

2.5/5

Trey Parker and Matt Stone contribute a chatty audio commentary. Though they profess to hate doing these and promise only a 5-minute talk, they actually speak for 47 of the film’s 65 minutes. They discuss how the storylines came to be, talk about the insane deadlines they can’t believe they were able to meet, make mention occasionally when a shot goes by that wasn’t in the broadcast version due to standards and practices, and continue to have fun with Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks during the discussion. It’s a fun, irreverent ¾ hour.

Two storyboards for the film are presented. The first runs 2 minutes (it’s the leprechaun sequence) and the second (called “What Is This Place?“) runs 1½ minutes.

Two complete episodes of South Park are offered as bonus features. The two episodes involve the introductions of the Woodland Critters (the Christmas episode) and Al Gore and the Manbearpig creature, both of which also figure in the Imaginationland film as presented.

Previews for the upcoming DVD releases of Li’l Bush, South Park - Season 10, and Drawn Together - Season 2 are offered.

In Conclusion

3.5/5 (not an average)

If you’re a fan of South Park and want the uncut, uncensored version of the Imaginationland story arc for your collection, this is the set to get. An anamorphic encoding would have made it more like a real movie, but as is, it’s still got plenty of laughs to offer.

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

[PG]119061101[/PG]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gotta say, as someone that has seen every South Park episode
ever made, this trilogy ranks as one of the best efforts from Trey
and Matt.

That being said, it is a struggle for me to purchase this DVD
knowing that it will be available on the soon-to-be-released
season 10 box set.....or will it?

It seems here that they put all the episodes together as one
as an "uncensored" director cut. I have a feeling that the season
10 set will only offer up these episodes as originally broadcast.

Still, for $13, I shouldn't even be questioning the value of this DVD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm just going to wait for the S11 set. I loved the episodes but I have no doubt that it'll be on the season set (according to the official SP website, that's coming in August and it'll be the first SP season to be unedited). If for some reason it's not on there, I'll pick up this disc then.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Even though I didn't find it to be the best of South Park stuff.
To have a longer commentary by Trey & Matt is worth the price of the DVD.
I always enjoy their banter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks