What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD Review: Ratatouille (1 Viewer)

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
That's weird..I am spinning it tonight so I will see what pops up on my Denon..

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
I really loved this movie in the theaters and I am really getting tired of always complaining about DVD releases these days, but I am again sorely disappointed...yet again.

I used to pony up the "big" bucks to get the great 2-Disc A Bug's Life, Ultimate Toy Box Collection, Tarzan, Atlantis: The Lost Empire Sets.

Then BVHE got with the picture and decided to go all out on feature complete 2-Disc sets without the premium.

Now, the focus groups have spoken and the cinephiles are left out in the cold. I do feel that I will not pay the on sale price of $16.99 for this on Tuesday and instead opt to wait for the inevitable $9.99 sale price. My only worry is that I will not get the slip-case.

Lifted, however, was pure genius...but I already purchased it on iTunes.

On a more positive note, I do feel positive feelings toward Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 2-Disc Collector's Set. At least I get a commentary. YAY!

For those that care, Jim Hill, over at http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...f-why-for.aspx has a good article on this very issue.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Because I care, THANKS Jason for providing that link! :emoji_thumbsup: Interesting reading. Too bad for us "cinephiles"...because we lose out on the fully-loaded releases. :frowning:

THIS may have been my favorite part of that Jim Hill article, though. This poster advertises a short feature which will be seen at theaters in just a few weeks before the new Disney feature enchanted:

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

This is what I thought after Cars came out (well, not the Oscar part, but the waiting for a 2-disc SE part) and that never happened and I still haven't bought the movie. I think I'm just going to get this one and not worry about an eventual 2-disc one.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Mike - I knew they were making a new Goofy "How To" (and I even started a thread about it over in the Movies section when it was announced) but I did not know it was attached to Enchanted. That film has become an instant must-see. Thanks for that.

As for the Special Features - I am gutted that we are not getting the incredible special editions that we used to rely on getting from Pixar films. But Ratatouille was such an incredible perfect gem of a film that I can't imagine not buying it the instant it comes out

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Funny, I'd define a "cinephile" as someone who loves FILMS first and foremost, not supplemental features. I can't imagine skipping a film as great as this on DVD simply because of a lack of special features.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes exactly. We love the film and watch it first, .... then we want to watch the supplements. People who watch the supplements and are fascinated by the story of how a movie is done seem to me "cinephile". Otherwise you are just a normal viewer. To me people who are not interested in who is the director, what was the story of the making of, are the normal viewers.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'm sure it will be on sale at Thanksgiving or something. I'll pick it up eventually for about $10. The movie was good but if it doesn't have any extras I'm weary of paying over $10 for it.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

The gauge of one's appreciation of any art --- film included --- has NOTHING to do with how much behind-the-scenes information they desire. You're actually going to call me a "normal viewer" versus a "cinephile" because I consider a film like Ratatouille great enough to purchase without a deluxe two-disc treatment on DVD? Sorry, Sam, but what a crock of shit. I love films. I'm a film enthusiast. Therefore, I'm a cinephile.

Maybe you're a supplementphile...? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love supplements too. But a great film with great picture and sound quality is all I need. I'd never sidestep a great film on DVD because a studio released it with skimpy (or no) extras.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
While Ratatouille cries out for a 2-disc SE more than any release since, oh say, The Emperor's New Groove (similar development hell stories), I will be perfectly happy with the current release. Personally, I'd rather read a book on the production nightmares than watch supplements on the same thing.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
To the people who won't buy this because of the "Lack of extras" will be missing some of the best quality extras ever put on a DVD.
Lifted is great. "Your friend the Rat" is a classic (especially if you're over 30 years old).
The commentary is on the Blu-ray along with some more extras.

If it's quantity that you want purchase a Fox disc. If it's quality you want pick this up today.

I'm sure Pixar could have put more things on this disc but it would have come at the expense of picture quality and they aren't about to do that.

Maybe you can buy it at Target or Walmart and they will have a special store only disc with the extras you really desire.

When will Studios wake up and start putting out Bonus only discs and forget the feature altogether. A true "cinefile" would be all over that... right?

That just seems Ratatarded to me.

Enjoy the great quality picture and audio.
Brad Bird... Thanks for the meal.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
The Walmart exclusive DVD contains:

"...episodes from Emeril Live, Robert Irvine Dinner Impossible, 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray, and Alton Brown Good Eats plus scratch and sniff character and recipe cards."

The Target exclusive bonus DVD contains (running times are approximate and stated in minutes:seconds):

Character Profiles (includes play all option)
>Colette
>Emile
>Gusteau
>Linguini
>Remy
>Skinner
>Ego
Director Brad Bird talks about each character; each profile averages about one minute and cuts between Bird, and various pieces of preproduction art or test footage for each character

Progression Reel: Rapids (2:30 running time)
-breaks down the Rapids sequence from storyboards through finished animation with explanatory narration by Darren Holmes, Editor

Deleted Scene: Heist/Fantasy (5:30 running time)
-introduced by Jim Capobinaco, Story co-writer and Brad Lewis, Producer
-shown in storyboard form with completed audio track

Remy's Incredible But Edible (2:30 running time)
-short promos that look like they appeared on, and were made for, The Disney Channel, that highlight unique concoctions eaten around the world

Ratatouille Around the World (1:40 running time)
-trailers for the movie made for other countries and some in different languages (you're left on your own to figure out what language they are in); I found the Asian trailers interesting for their different approach particularly the Japanese trailer which uses (I think) portions of the "An American in Paris Ballet" as the musical underscore

I hope this assists those interested with their purchasing choices (and if it isn't already blatantly obvious, I skipped Walmart and purchased my copy at Target).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

This irritates me more than anything. I could care less about most of the other miscellaneous extras, but I consider a commentary mandatory on a release of this magnitude. I can't believe that they're using this as a marketing chip to push people towards Blu-Ray. I am a long, long, long way from moving to either high-def format.

I'm now even more steadfast on not buying this title. There are more than enough other titles for me to spend my money on. :frowning:

I'll pick up a used copy for cheap next year some time.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

Doubtful, but I cannot say for sure since didn't even think to look when I stopped by this morning on the way to work as I have yet to go Hi-Def.

In addtion to being stocked in the DVD section, they had an entire end-cap display at one of the check-out registers that was nothing but the standard Def version and most, if not all, appeared to be stickered that they contained the bonus disc.

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator

There were no attached bonus discs or stickers on any of the BD copies at either of the Target locations I visited today, so I'm gonna say "no".

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree. As I mentioned in one of my recent rants against the "Transformers" Single Disc edition vs. the Deluxe edition, I feel a commentary is the single most important extra for my money.

I view commentaries as a first-person lecture on the film. I watch the video featurettes once. But I often give multiple listens to commentaries, both while watching the movie and in the background while doing housework.

It's one thing if the commentary wasn't recorded. But the fact that it exists and is present on the Blu-Ray is absolutely infuriating. I do feel that my tolerance level has been reached and I will be writing a letter (snail mail no less) to Walt Disney Home Entertainment to express my displeasure. At this point. The portability of DVD trumps both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD for me. When they are more consumer friendly, I will readjust my stance...maybe.

P.S. I did purchase a copy today at Target, but I will not purchase any subsequent editions at retail. If there are any, I will only purchase them used.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Where did you guys see that Ratatouille has a commentary on the Blu Ray disc? According to the press release, a "Blu-ray release will also be available for $34.99. This will include all of the [SD extras], along with a Gusteau’s Gourmet Game, and an in-movie feature that includes animation briefings, documentary shorts, and deleted scenes."

Unless something has changed (which is possible), there's no commentary on either release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks