What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW - Psych: The Complete Second Season (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
ronsreviews_covers_MCA001716.jpg

psych

THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON

Studio: Universal
Original Broadcast: 2007-2008
Length: 11 hours 26 mins
Genre: Crime Solving Comedy

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Color/B&W: Color

Audio:
English Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles: English SDH

Rating: Unrated (TV-safe crime scenes & violence)

Release Date: July 8, 2008

Rating:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really enjoy the show for its mapcap sense of humor. The mysteries are feather-light, but the real enjoyment for me is seeing Roday and Hill spar good-naturedly on their path to each mystery's solution. Certainly not a great series but a fun one for me.

Thanks for the review, Kevin.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Agreed, Matt. I never miss an episode and am watching season one again this week. Many hilarious 80's pop-culture references keep the humor fast and mad. Love it.

Thanks for the Review, Kevin!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Creator/show runner Steve Franks has said that his goal with "Psych" was to create a light detective series along the lines of shows he enjoyed when he was younger like "Magnum PI" and "Moonlighting". In other words, 80s nostalgia is not only an element of the show, it is also the impetus for the show.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would definitely agree that "Moonlighting" was very much a light detective series. But not "Magnum P.I." While the series definitely had lighter moments and the 5th and 6th seasons tended to be a bit jokier, there were plenty of very serious shows. My favorite episodes - "Memories are Forever" and "Did You See the Sunrise?" are solid dramatic pieces. And that's just two out of many - while the series was known for the camaraderie and the Magnum-Higgins feuding, it also had plenty of depth when it needed it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I did not say "light detective series" in any pejorative context, and it certainly does not imply a lack of depth (that would be a "shallow" detective series). The tone on Magnum PI was usually fairly light, which actually added to its depth by making the episodes and moments where things got more serious stand out in relief. There are not a lot of detective series on the air these days that can actually successfully pull off "light".

Regards,

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with that. I don't think anyone would say that "NYPD Blue" was anything like "light". And I agree "Magnum PI" took a light tone whenever it could - it just had much more to offer. Psych, on the other hand, is pretty much a full-time "light" series. I'm not putting it down, but I just need a little more meat on the bones to keep me going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks