What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Indiana Jones: The Adventure Collection (1 Viewer)

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
I presume that this set is "closed captioned" or has english subtitles. Does anyone know if these titles appear only in the black bar areas or whether some also appear over the picture?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Depends on the type of tv and the type of player. If you're watching it on a 16:9, it'll probably be just inside the picture and slightly spilling off into the black. On a standard, completely in the black.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I doubt it. THX Inc. went public over 6 years ago and this has not meant anything at all for Lucasfilm (which still controlls majority shares in the company).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
USA network is showing the indiana jones trilogy. its in HD and letterbox. even the standard edition of USA network is showing it in letterbox. they are showing last crusade right now.
all 3 will repeat again tomorrow.
Jacob

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
One more question: when you say "new THX logo" do you mean "Broadway 2000"?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Yep and they all looked pretty damn good! Imagine my surprise when they were NOT squeezed into a 16:9 frame. :D

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Full OAR 2.35:1?!
I'd buy this set ONLY for the image galleries. Where the hell are the extras from the LD's and even the Widescreen VHS? I'm assuming they're holding onto those until the inevitable release of the Tetralogy/Collection on BD later this year ("Quadrilogy" is just a marketing word made-up by FOX). I wanted this set two be two discs each! Fiest disc obviously a remaster/reencode, with the same soundmix as before but meatier perhaps. Even a full-fledged subtitled trivia track would've been great. And the second disc. The full individual parts from the 4th Disc Documentary. It seemed that each following film was giving shorter coverage compared to Raiders. Even an archival gallery with the LD extras and stuff would've been icing. More in depth is what I would've wanted it. But no, Star Wars gets the better extras compared to this filler.
I'm glad someone online is preserving the LD documentary discs onto DVD. I certainly doubt they'll be released on any newer format soon. It's great for the image galleries since I love looking at storyboards, concept art and everything but the featurettes just fall short.
All-in-all, I guess I'll just be buying this more for the image galleries and stuff for KotCS. Most likely KotCS will receive a two-disc DVD treatment.
There are always custom made DL DVD's with all the archival material not on DVD for the Trilogy. Wouldn't even be bootlegging honestly since I'd consider most of the material would be from Laserdisc and broadcasts. Even VHS. Gonna buy the boxset when it's far lower in price. Hell, they even used the same menu and transfer from the 2003 Trilogy set. Talk about uninspired.

EDIT: Even this set could've had a seventh disc, if they'd've gone the teo-disc each route, and covered all the other Indiana Jones stuff. An exclusive to the set. The video games, books, comic books and everything. With interviews and minutae (sp?) from the creators of them. I WANT AN EXTENSIVE SET OF EXTRAS FOR INDIANA JONES TRILOGY, DAMMIT! Hal Barwood, Hugh Fleming, Dave Dorman, Rob MacGregor, Max McCoy, Drew Struzan and alot of other people. It's too bad I'm not a DVD producer like Charlie de Lauzirika. Then I'd make some superb supplements. Don't I wish.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the trailer for the new movie.. was it enhanced for widescreen? I remember seeing the non ehanced one in front of cloverfield.

Jacob

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

My memory is spotty, but my initial response would be no; I don't believe very many of the trailers on Paramount's DVDs are anamorphic.

I will check when I go back downstairs just to confirm.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^I saw the Raiders Of The Lost Ark DVD yesterday at a buddy's house and I'm pretty sure the trailer is anamorphic. The reason it stuck in my mind is because I was expecting it to be non-anamorphic (like on Cloverfield).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I picked up the 3 discs of the indiana jones films. the store was out of the boxset, so I bought them separately.

Jacob

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The new THX logo is superb - worth the cost of the new editions!

Flower bed I'd call it.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Moab National Park. Great biking. Not that I'd personally promote Utah, I used to live there for 8 1/2 years...
I saw the collection and individual releases for the DVD when I was hunting for the new Indy actiony figures. Saw the measly endcap all sold out of the basic figures and had only the Nazi Soldier Deluxe two-pack left. Wanted to buy Indy with of course an exceptional paint application and a random baddie. No such luck so I headed to the Star Wars section, overloaded with junk from it.
Anyway, the individual covers look neat since they have embossed slipcovers. I'd only buy these to make a 2-disc set of the 2003 release for the films.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Temple of Doom goofs - plane propellers stop, and when they jump out - all 3 are spinning, grin.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt

Like someone stated earlier, the 2003 Indiana Jones box was on my "pending shelf" too except I don't have enough space for all the DVDs that I haven't seen. I have just finished looking at all 3 films plus the "bonus material.

I also looked for the plane propellers and did not see them stopped - I did not see any goof. I would definitely not recommend getting the new set if one has the 2003 release. Perhaps I will double dip when the 4th film comes out in a box which has more extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks