What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Indiana Jones: The Adventure Collection (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have no idea why they are playing the movies in reverse order. I have not seen the m&m ad either.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Personally, I don't care if I can see them on my cable/satellite service in HD. If they are cropped from 2.35 to 1.78 they're useless to me. Not to mention they will be shown edited and with commercials. However, doensn't Lucas insist on the proper 2:35 ARs for HD broadcasts. I believe this was the case with the Star Wars films.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

If you can do that, it's the way to go. If you really need to choose between the old box and the new one, I'd recommend the old box. Cheaper and better extras...

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Looks like I'll be holding on to the original box set. Nothing in the new one makes me want to double dip.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i havent seen the add yet ut i have seen the official toys.

except for the large g.i. joe size figures the regular ones are very small, maybe 3 1/2 or 4 ".

i was tempted to pick up one of the larger ones but opted for the
Taters of the Lost Arc instaed.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

There is a photograph of Spielberg on the set of Poltergeist that made its way onto the Laserdisc release. He is wearing a baseball cap that has a brim on the front and one the back. One side says producer, the other says director. Thats all you need to see to know what happened on that set.

Doug

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

whats that/

he had a cap on with a front and a back brim?
a 2 sided cap?

so he could turn it around depending on what he was doing at the time?

kidding?

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
I don't think Spielberg is hard to work with because everyone does their best to kiss his butt and give him what he wants. Not that I'm saying thats bad, because clearly he is one of the few directors that deserves such status, but when you get a director as powerful as he theres usually no problems because no one is there to oppose him in the first place, and his films generally run smooth because he usually gets what he asks for. On the crew its very draining behind closed doors because everyone works twice as hard because no mistake can be made and one slip up and the production manager fires you, but as far as personal issues I've never heard of anything. Actors are usually the most unpredictable factor but its not like people keep quiet about tensions because a director is powerful, if theres yelling and screaming it usually comes out. I think Spielberg just knows how to get the job done.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that is a 7 minute making of poltergeist

here is another.
at about 50 seconds it changes from the first video above to what appears to e TCM footage.

then about 65 seconds in the doule hat is there on Speilberg, really hard to see what it says.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
This has always been my impression as well. James Cameron's on about equal status, but there's a been a lot more said about his on-set behavior. Of course, some of that might just be the overall ordeal of some of his productions, but that's another thing about Spielberg...I think he learned enough from his first couple films not to stretch himself or his crews to the breaking point. Later on, when he started producing, it took him another couple films to figure out what that role was (compare the stories behind 'Poltergeist' to those from 'Back to the Future'). The 'Twilight Zone' incident, though, is it's own whole mess that involves a LOT of people.

Anyway, back to the discs at hand, I know I'll probably end up getting these. The Lucas camp seems to have this annoying-yet-consistent methodology of "pay twice and build your own comprehensive boxed set."

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Dunno about that last part but FWIW--SpikeHD showed SW Ep.3 last night...picture was shown at 1.78. Maybe it's OAR only when broadcasted on premium channels (e.g., HBO)?

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
As worked up as I am over the new film, I'll give this set a pass. Here's hoping the Blu-Ray set comes out this Christmas with all four films (like the Batman Blu-Ray set WB has promised when Dark Knight hits dvd).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Not kidding at all. Tobe Hooper didn't direct a foot of Poltergeist according to the Production Designer of the film. The story goes that Hooper was having personal problems at the time, and Spielberg didn't want to fire him and ruin his career because they were friends. Also union rules wouldn't allow Spielberg to finish directing one film, E.T. and start on another, Poltergeist, less than a week later and take credit for both.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Its very telling that in all of that video, you never see Hooper telling anyone to do anything.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think if Hooper had been a functioning director on the set on day one, Spielberg would probably have let him alone to do it. After all Spielberg had produced 3 films for other directors before that and had never taken over the production. But he wasn't about to let the production come to a halt because the director was having personal problems, so he took over. I don't know what else he could have done other than fire him and hire another director, which would have killed Hooper's directing career.

Spielberg had almost no involvement in the Twilight Zone accident at all. Landis and his producer were totally in charge of that part of the production. There is a very good book about the incident called Special Effects by Ron LaBrecque that really gets into the details of that production.

Doug

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.

Sorry, Travis but that would be rather weak reasoning on Paramount's part in my view. Apparently, Warners has no such qualms, look at the editions of Bladerunner, Bonnie and Clyde, etc. - released in BOTH BD and DVD.

However, as Paramount was one of the last studio holdouts switching from HD DVD to BD, maybe it is being unnecessarily cautious here and in HD releases for some time to come.

I hope they change their minds sometime soon. Those of us "early adopters" have to be patient I guess. When they do start more consistent efforts in the BD format I hope they won't forgo extras! Lord, BD backers have been hawking its ample capacity since the beginning. Start using it guys! Stop shafting the public!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks