What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Hammer Films Icons of Suspense Collection (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Originally Posted by Richard--W

Might there be hope for Creatures the World Forgot, then?
Do you think it would help to change the title?
It had a different title during production, a more appropriate title, but I can't remember what.

Add me as another who really wants this film out. way more than any others on that list. Sure, there are't any dinosaurs as in the previous two films, but if you know that going in, it's a pretty decent caveman adventure and would complete the trilogy. I wouldn't mind if it came out as a single release as I don't see how it would fit in to a theme for the next box-set. Unless it's called something generic like "More Hammer Icons".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JeffMc

Add me as another who really wants this film out. way more than any others on that list. Sure, there are't any dinosaurs as in the previous two films, but if you know that going in, it's a pretty decent caveman adventure and would complete the trilogy. I wouldn't mind if it came out as a single release as I don't see how it would fit in to a theme for the next box-set. Unless it's called something generic like "More Hammer Icons".

Put these together and call it "Icons of Hammer Adventure Too"

Creatures the World Forgot
The Brigand of Kandahar
The Scarlet Blade aka The Crimson Blade
The Camp On Blood Island

That is if Columbia/Sony still controls the rights.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Add "Yesterday's Enemy" to this and I'd definately love this box.

Originally Posted by ahollis

Put these together and call it "Icons of Hammer Adventure Too"

The Brigand of Kandahar
The Camp On Blood Island

That is if Columbia/Sony still controls the rights.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The Brigand of Kandahar
The Camp On Blood Island
Yesterday's Enemy

Looks like another winner to me.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

Cash on Demand (1961)

...rather average yarn about a bank robbery.

I don't think we saw the same film. In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated low-budget dramas ever made, and certainly a high water mark of quality for Cushing, Morell and Hammer. Not gory, not in color, not flashy, not splashy; just quietly, intensely effective. A tightly-written script, unfolding in real time, put over by some of the greatest Brit character actors ever. Morell's performance in particular is extraordinary; not one false moment there. Cushing's performance, while not quite as consistent as Morell's, nonetheless contains some of the best, most atypical work he's ever done.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson

I don't think we saw the same film. In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated low-budget dramas ever made, and certainly a high water mark of quality for Cushing, Morell and Hammer. Not gory, not in color, not flashy, not splashy; just quietly, intensely effective. A tightly-written script, unfolding in real time, put over by some of the greatest Brit character actors ever. Morell's performance in particular is extraordinary; not one false moment there. Cushing's performance, while not quite as consistent as Morell's, nonetheless contains some of the best, most atypical work he's ever done.

I agree. I thought Cash on Demand was extremely well made, even if the ending was rather unconvincing. Andre Morell always gave superb performances. He was especially good in this film and, in my opinion, acted Peter Cushing off the screen.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Marcel H. /forum/thread/299722/htf-dvd-review-hammer-films-icons-of-suspense-collection#post_3683682

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Originally Posted by Douglas R

I agree. I thought Cash on Demand was extremely well made, even if the ending was rather unconvincing. Andre Morell always gave superb performances. He was especially good in this film and, in my opinion, acted Peter Cushing off the screen.

Well, I wouldn't say he acted Cushing off the screen, as Peter's pretty damn good in this apart from a couple overly mannered bits, but even these bits kind of fit the fussy character he's playing. And I thought the ending was satisfying enough. But at least we agree on Morell and the general high quality of the film. I've been a fan of it for years now, and am ecstatic to have it such good quality at last, and that more people will finally get a chance to see it. I hope its reputation grows because of this DVD release.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm with you Jeffrey; wonderful to see Morell and Cushing slug it out and I cannot declare a winner. It's a delightful, off kilter piece, a kind of weird mix of An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol, but a good tale in its own right; first time I'd seen it and certainly not the last.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson

I don't think we saw the same film. In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated low-budget dramas ever made, and certainly a high water mark of quality for Cushing, Morell and Hammer.
I may have been unfair to it. I'll take another look at it when I get the chance.

ColumbiaClassic

Auditioning
Real Name
Columbia Classics
[SIZE= 14px]The Icons of Suspense and the Icons of Horror Hammer Films are available on DVD on the Screen Classics by Request Store at www.Columbia-Classics.com. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]To chat with classic film experts or for in-depth information, clips/trailers, and more on your favorite classic movies, visit www.Columbia-Classics.com. You can also watch clips and trailers of your favorite Columbia Classics films on youtube.com/columbiaclassics.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks