What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Friday the 13th - The Series: The 2nd Season (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Friday the 13th - The Series: The 2nd Season
Directed by William Fruet et al

Studio: Paramount
Year: 1988-1989
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Running Time: 1181 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo English
Subtitles: CC
MSRP: $ 54.99

Release Date: February 10, 2009
Review Date: February 8, 2009

The Series

3/5

You’ll look in vain for Jason Vorhees to come creeping from behind the shelves and cases in the old antique shop that forms the setting of Friday the 13th - The Series. No, the hit syndicated horror anthology series merely borrowed the name and the suspenseful ambiance from the famous cycle of Paramount slasher films. As with most anthology shows (even classic ones like The Twilight Zone or Thriller), the episodes vary in quality and effectiveness. At its best, it can be creepy and startling. But in most cases, the hourlong nature of the series (with running times of basically forty-five minutes) cause many stories to be padded that would have played like gangbusters if the show had only been a half hour. The second season of the show picks up right where the series left off in season one.

Two cousins Ryan Dallion (John D. Le May) and Micki Foster (Robey) inherit from their uncle a curio shop with a most interesting history. Their Uncle Lewis (R. G. Armstrong) had bought and sold evil, cursed relics for years in a deal he made with the devil. With the shop now in their hands, the two cousins along with magician Jack Marshak (Chris Wiggins) go about trying to round up the wicked artifacts before they can inflict more damage on the world than they’ve already caused. This season’s objects run the gamut from a voodoo mask to a ram-encrusted coin which can take or give life. Almost every one of these cursed curios involve murderous death (with the arifacts requiring murders to be committed before they will work), and while the censors at the time required that producers skirt around showing anything too graphic, there’s more than a little mayhem attached to every one of these episodes. There are some derivative episodes to be sure: “Symphony in B#” is a blatant copy of The Phantom of the Opera only with a murderous violinist instead of a deformed composer, both villains enamored with a female protégé. “Read My Lips” has definite echoes of Magic and “The Dummy” episode of The Twilight Zone. “Wax Magic” is a kissing cousin to House of Wax. But despite the padded running times of most of the episodes, there is a fair amount of invention with these cursed artifacts and more than a few “boo” moments to keep the viewer primed for a good scare.

The actors go through their paces with natural ease and occasional good humor (most welcome since the series itself can be pretty grisly), especially the two young people who have a easy, flirty relationship that’s appealing. Actress Robey (first name Louise which is not used in the opening credits) has more appealing hairstyles at the start of the second season (though later episodes repeat some outlandish coifs from season one) though her wardrobe often seems deliberately provocative. Steven Monarque makes several guest appearances as Johnny Ventura this season but would become a regular in the series’ last season. It’s nice to occasionally find a really first rate actor appearing in a guest role. In addition to R.G. Armstrong who pops up in the season two premiere completing the story that occurred at the end of the first season, you’ll see John Byner and Colm Feore in appealing guest roles.

Here are the twenty-six episodes contained on six discs in this second season set:

1 - Doorway to Hell
2 - The Voodoo Mambo
3 - And Now the News
4 - Tails I live, Heads You Die
5 - Symphony in B#
6 - Master of Disguise
7 - Wax Magic
8 - Read My Lips
9 - 13 O’ Clock
10 - Night Hunger
11 - The Sweetest Sting
12 - The Playhouse
13 - Eye of Death (time travel tale is my favorite one of the season)
14 - Face of Evil (sequel to “Vanity’s Mirror” from season one)
15 - Better Off Dead
16 - Scarlet Cinema
17 - The Mephisto Ring
18 - A Friend to the End
19 - The Butcher
20 - Mesmer’s Bauble
21 - Wedding in Black
22 - Wedding Bell Blues
23 - The Maestro
24 - The Shaman’s Apprentice
25 - The Prisoner
26 - Coven of Darkness

The liner notes do mention that some episodes have been edited for content from their original broadcast versions. Experts on the series will be better able than I to illuminate what’s been altered.

Video Quality

2.5/5

The series’ 1.33:1 aspect ratio is faithfully delivered in these video transfers. As in the first season set, the quality varies from one episode to another, but the early episodes look much poorer than later ones. They suffer from softness and dated looking color. They are clean transfers, but with no anamorphic enhancement, there is a great deal of digital artifacting to deal with including moiré and frequent jaggies. Later episodes feature much better sharpness and color, but taken as a whole, the video quality is a grab bag. Each episode is divided into 7 chapters.

Audio Quality

3/5

The Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio mix is better than the previous season with solid encoding of dialog in the center channel and sound effects and music spread in the right and left channels. There’s some nice bass to be heard in the mix, too, adding to the ambiance of the suspenseful tales.

Special Features

0/5

Apart from previews of Twin Peaks, Dexter, and Ghost Whisperer, there are no bonus features with this set.

In Conclusion

3/5 (not an average)

Much the same as the first season, Friday the 13th - The Series, The 2nd Season carries on the tradition of a horror anthology series with some effectively spooky tales reasonably well delivered.

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review, MattH--- my copy arrived today. I'm looking forward to the second season.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
MattH - Thanks for the review. It was a good read. Were the start of the episodes the same as the Season 1 boxset - in other words no Sci-Fi preview?

I'm going to wait for the price to come down as the £ pound is weak against the dollar at the moment.

Scott W.

Second Unit
Can't wait for this one!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Yes that's it. I remember the discussion here at the time Season 1 was released on Region 1. The prologue was missing with that set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to nitpick (I'm sure you're just trying to inform people after the feedback in your My Three Sons review) but the disclaimer says that the show MAY be edited. It seems like most Paramount TV releases have that on there. That way, they cover themselves and the consumer can't tell if it's actually edited.

I've gotten through the first 11 episodes and each one has run about 45:25 (give or take about 5 seconds). I'll report back if any episodes run noticably shorter than that.

EDIT: I'm now through the first four discs and all the episodes have run around 45:25.

EDIT 2: I'm through disc five and all the episodes have still run around 45:25.

EDIT 3: I finished the set and all the episodes run about 45:25 so I don't think there's any edits and the disclaimer is their to cover their ass (which makes the disclaimer meaningless since you can't actually tell if there's edits or not).

And for anyone familiar with the series that is worried about Paramount licensing the clips from The Wolf Man (1941) for the episode 'Scarlet Cinema', the clips are in the episode.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The series got more violent during it's second and third season didn't it? That's good to see that all 26 second season episodes appear to be uncut in this boxset.

Season 2 was released in February so hopefully the third and fiinal season will be released six months later in August (that's the usual gap between TV and film releases on DVD), along with Season 2 of Tales from the Darkside.

Which DVD shopping website has the cheapest price for Friday the 13th - The Series: The 2nd Season? PlayUSA and Play.com aren't selling it, I can't buy it off Amazon and it's £25-£30+ on eBay UK (it would probably work out the same if I bought if off eBay US and eBay Canada).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.