What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Something to look forward to. Field-sequential has been around for a long time and has delivered a picture quality and 3-D viewing experience that is more than acceptable for the general viewing public. In fact everyone I've shown it to has been knocked out by it, even those who thought they were impressed by anaglyph. When videogames and DVD's became available the industry really dropped the ball in not disseminating 3-D films in the field-sequential format. Consumers would be better acclimated and more receptive to the stereoscopic experience which, after all, is closer to how we actually see with our eyes than 2-d films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Thanks to this, umm, recommendation, I picked up both "Friday" and "Stewardesses" (as well as "Journey to the Center of the Earth") for my little home theater anaglyph 3-D overdose. It was a lot of fun, actually, and I was really surprised at the quality of the 3D effects in "The Stewardesses". "Friday" looked just OK, but better than the worst reviews here make it out to be, so I wasn't disappointed. And "Journey" blew me away, I never imagined 3-D movie watching at home on regular equipment would look so good.

I actually wish I knew of more 3-D titles to check out. The novelty was far more fun than the films themselves, but that's OK. (I thought about grabbing the "Hannah Montana" disc just for the 3-D, but in the end I just don't think I'd actually enjoy the music, so probably not watching...then again, I don't know, maybe the 3D spectacle makes up for that.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I actually just looked up your review before I popped back over here to check the thread -- guess I beat you to the punch. Yeah, I'll probably pass on Miley...I'd watch it once, tops, and I don't think it's worth it for me. If I had someone to give it away to afterwards, it would be another story.

I know the general consensus is that anaglyph sucks, and I'll admit it isn't exactly breathtaking, but while other 3-D technologies for home use are still being worked on or haven't been widely adopted, I'd definitely enjoy seeing a few more 3-D titles.

sigmund100

Agent
Real Name
Eric Douglas
I'll throw in my two cents...

I saw Friday the 13th Pt. 3 in 3-D in the theater back on opening day (8/13/82). I remember it looking amazing. Although the anaglyph DVD doesn't stack up to the theatrical experience, after having watched the new DVD, it is my opinion that it is still worth picking up. Could it look better? Yeah. But given the choice of watching this film in 2-D versus 3-D, I'll take 3-D. The film itself is pratically unwatchable and horribly bad... the 3-D is the only reason to labor through it. Since Paramount has finally answered the cries of F13 fans for the last 25+ years to release this 3-D, I think it's worth supporting their effort and worth the double dip, despite my slight disapointment regarding the quality of the anaglyph presentation.

I viewed Friday the 13th Pt. 3 in 3-D using my Sony BDP-S350 Blu-Ray / DVD player and my Sanyo PLV-1080 HD projector (HDMI v. 1.3b, 1080p, full 1920 x 1080 resolution, 10,000:1 contrast) on my 120" Da-Lite Home Theater Screen, with the standard DVD being kicked up to 1080P. My home theater is a completely darkened room. It looked okay. When I checked out the DVD on my Sharp Aquous 52" 1080P HD TV, it did not look nearly as good.

Get the DVD... Watch it in a darkened room on the biggest screen possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks