What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Cloverfield (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since it was an HD camcorder, maybe Hud had Dolby Live switched on or something.

Also - Rack 'em and Pack 'em is now the funniest easter egg I have ever watched.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

That was a funny bit, my favorite happens to the newscast with the amatuer video from the phone and the guys on the boat.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
whatever fell in the water isn't clear, and when put together with the video of the oil drilling station in the middle of the ocean being pulled down by what is clearly the monster is even more confusing.

the yell of a monster can be heard from the cell phone video.

so if the thing that fell was the monster why would or how would end up as close as the shore line then all the way into the middle of the ocean then abck again.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Could someone please post a complete list of all the easter eggs and how to access them? They're the only things I haven't watched yet, thanks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
most of them are in chapter 17.

what, there is no chapter 17?
go to the scene selection area and go to the last set of chapters, then wait
a minute or so. chapter 17 will appear.
there is a unch of video footage of the wrecked oil station, the slusho commercial and a web log from a "person of interest".
wait till you see the "hate dance"

there is one on the set-up menu too.
there is a helicopter aove the statue of liberty were the head used to be.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I know there's a couple of us who are clearly ga-ga for Lizzy Caplan, myself included. She was even the best part of that Rack'em and Pack'em easter egg. Her appearance wasn't pretty by any means, but damn funny. :)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I loved this film. The hype that began with the "Transformers" teaser and the subsequent online viral campaign had me from the get-go. Yet, somehow, I never saw it in the theater.

All I could think of whle watching this was "THIS is how you make a monster movie!"

I did have a few issues with the film, however:

NYC looked curiously empty as the film progressed, which bothered me because it took me ten hours to get out of Manhattan on 9/11. I also didn't buy into the cast climbing all those stairs in a half-collapsed apartment building to rescue Beth (and again, there should have been many more people trapped as well).

These are minor quibbles, however, because I followed my own film mantra: "If I am willing to believe that a 350-foot monster is attacking Manhattan, I'm willing to accept any other leap of logic and/or coincidence thrown my way."

I'd also like to point out that I was never able to find ONE decent picture of the monster since the "Transformers" teaser, and that includes scouring Google Image Search. Kudos to whoever kept those images off the web, because the first reveal of the monster's visage was one of the best "Holy Sh*t!" moments of my life.

And, yeah, I thought Marlena and Beth were both really hot...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, just watched the easter eggs and other than the oil rig attack what do the other materials have to do with anything? :confused:

I was especially weirded out by the Jamie and Teddy videos, she was quite irritating lol.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Slusho is a Japanese slushie type drink whose parent company (Tagurato Corporation) is the one Rob is going to work for. They're also believed to have inadvertently awoken Clover.

Jamie is at Rob's going away party. For the record, she's the one passed out on the couch at 0:11:20.

This is all part of the viral materials for the internet campaign. Maybe we'll get them all along with the raw news coverage whenever Cloverfield gets doubledipped

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Don't forget the recording the blond hair woman rec'd from her boyfriend that indicated something was going on at the company.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the blond also mentioned she recieved something from teddy and she ate/drank it as she started acting nuttier as the videos continued.
proably whatever was being "mined" on that drilling station.

also they didnt go up the collapsed building, they went up the one next to it.
remember them jumping across the roof top to it.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
First, watched the commentary again about It's Big, It's Huge etc. and yes I agree it's a baby. But in watching the easter eggs I watched the newscasts in all the different languages and I came up with a synopsis.First the french news cast made some interesting points and showed a picture that links an incident in the movie. Mentioned by the french news reporter is a tanker going to New York.
My guess is that The creature was in the tanker and destroyed it as shown in the first news report from the first attack.
Just me though, my mind running away with me maybe or maybe not. I also noticed the Japanese guy in the video in the helicopter with a briefcase chained to his arm, as if he was hightailing it out of there before the destruction of the oil rig with a big fat secret.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
jerome.

do you know french or were you able to just pick up on that.

the monster destroys the drilling station, how did they get it in the tanker.

i do think that is a good theory on the tanker, but how did it get in there.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
TonyD
First, I don't know french, just was able to pick it up. In the midst of the conversation it said tanker, N.Y., Now again it's speculation but I think we have a classic Gorgo scenrio here that since it was a baby the one thing that was able to pull down the tanker was it's parent(s). I'll listen again but I thought the roar was a bit deeper than our friend.
Anyone who speaks French can help us out with the news cast in the easter egg.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Just got done watching the movie (haven't hit the extras yet). Very impressed with it and REALLY wish I had seen it in the theater. I enjoyed the story, loved the FX but wish that Hud would have been killed off about an hour earlier than he was!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
No way. Hud ruled! :D

I feel badly for those that missed it in theaters, particularly those who didn't want to see it thinking that it would play well on dvd. It does play okay don't get me wrong but this puppy was freakin' RUDE in theaters, particularly the audio! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks