What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden

Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Directed By: Tim Burton

Starring: Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Jeffrey Jones, Catherine O'Hara, Winona Ryder, Michael Keaton, Glenn Shadix

Studio: Warner Brothers

Year: 1988

Rated: PG

Film Length: 92 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Release Date: September 9, 2008

The Film

In Beetlejuice, Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis play recently deceased yuppie couple Adam and Barbara Maitland. They commence the afterlife in a confused state, confined to their beloved Connecticut country home with only an impenetrable "Handbook for the Recently Deceased" to guide them. Resigned to spend the first 125 years of their afterlife haunting their former home, they are horrified when it is sold to the Dietz family from New York. Patriarch Charles (Jones) is a real estate man with dollar signs in his eyes who just wants a place in the country to relax, but his self-styled artist of a wife, Delia (O'Hara), immediately enlists the help of interior designer Otho (Shadix) to completely overhaul the home, erasing every vestige of rustic charm. Adam and Barbara do their best to try to scare the Dietzes away, but find that they can only be seen by Lydia (Ryder), the Dietz's quirky gloomy wallflower of a teen daughter. Their inept attempts at terror only manage to pique the interest of Charles, Delia, and Otho in the social and business possibilities of a haunted house. Meanwhile, a strange ghost named Beetlegeuse (Keaton) keeps offering the Maitlands his "bio-exorcism" services, and even though they are warned by their afterlife caseworker that he is a dangerous loose cannon, they are increasingly tempted to take him up on his offer.

After a surprise success with his feature directorial debut, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Tim Burton took three years before turning out this, his sophomore effort. The ghost comedy is carried along by just enough plot to support the numerous flights of macabre whimsy and visual set-pieces that would come to be recognized as examples of Burton's signature style. To this day, it may be the most direct reflection of Burton's graphic style captured on film next to the animated Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride films. Credit should go to production designer Bo Welch, composer Danny Elfman, and a gaggle of stop-motion animators, puppeteers, and make-up artists for striking exactly the right creepy cartoony tone to realize Burton's vision.

The film is also helped immeasurably by its first-rate comic cast, many of whom were not well known at the time of the film's release, but almost all of whom would go on to notable success. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis bring the right mix of likability and incompetence to what could have been thankless straight-man roles, and Catherine O'Hara and Jeffrey Jones compliment each other nicely as the Dietz's, pretentious wannabe artist and a bottom-line oriented self promotional real estate investor. Sixteen year old Winona Ryder gave a commercial breakout performance as the gloomy but likeable Lydia that built on her previous critical breakout role in Lucas. Finally, Michael Keaton, the biggest "name" actor in the cast by 1988 standards, in less than twenty minutes of screen time manages to create one of his most memorable on-screen characters, essentially transforming himself into a live action cartoon while maintaining just enough of an anarchic edge to remain credibly scary.

Note: The version of the film presented on this 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition is the completely uncensored version, inclusive of the title character dropping an F-Bomb that was edited out of most recent video releases.

The Video

The video transfer, which fills the entire 16:9 enhanced frame, is a very clean representation of the film, inclusive of the signature look of late 1980s film stocks. Black levels are not quite as deep and grain patterns are not quite as fine as with modern films, but it looks pretty much the way I remember it from twenty years ago if not a little bit better. Compression artifacts are minimal from a reasonable viewing distance, and high contrast edge ringing is not an issue.

The Audio

The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is encoded at a 448 kbps bitrate. The most prominent element of this mix is the aggressively cartoony score from Danny Elfman that emanates from all channels for an enveloping experience. Certain pieces of mono source music from Harry Belafonte are sometimes strangely mixed heavier to the right front channel then the left. Dialog, music, and effects are all presented with excellent fidelity. Alternate language dubs include a French Dolby Digital 1.0 mono track and a Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo track.

The Extras

For a release billed as a "Deluxe Edition", the extra features are fairly underwhelming. The most significant feature is a Music-Only Audio Track that presents Danny Elfman's heavily Carl Stalling/Raymond Scott-influenced score via a dedicated Dolby Digital 5.1 track encoded at a 448 kbps bitrate. Elfman fans will welcome this, but considering how forward the score is in the mix throughout the film, there is not a lot to be revealed by listening to it in this form that cannot be gleaned from a viewing of the film with its full soundtrack. This feature is a carryover from the previous DVD release of the film. For reasons unknown, this track is only accessible from the special features menu, and is not selectable "on the fly" with the audio button along with the English, French, and Spanish soundtracks.

Also carried over from the previous DVD of the film is its one minute and 28 second theatrical trailer, which is presented in 16:9 enhanced widescreen video with Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio. It is a skillful if fairly standard example of late 1980s marketing that represents the film fairly.

As an added bonus, you also get the one minute and 29 second trailer for Pee-wee's Big Adventure, also in 16:9 enhanced video with Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio.

Finally, we get three episodes from the ill-conceived Beetlejuice animated television series which reworked "The Ghost with the Most" into a kooky pal to the Lydia character who accompanies her on various adventures in both the mortal and nether worlds. He also apparently now spells his name in the phonetic manner of the film and TV series titles. While the plots and execution of the series were never that remarkable, it did have interesting Burton-inspired character designs that made it a bit more visually interesting than most late 80s/early 90s animated fare. The three episodes are presented in 4:3 video with which I noticed combing artifacts until I manually forced my player into "video" mode. The included episodes are described as follows:
  • A-Ha (12:15) finds Beetlejuice morphing into the spoof detective "Sherlock Homely" when Lydia's car goes missing
  • Skeletons in the Closet (12:16) finds Lydia and Beetlejuice in trouble when the skeletons that appear in nether world closets every time they tell a lie escape
  • Spooky Boutique (12:14) has Lydia attempt to market her creepy clothing designs in a chic boutique at the local mall with what turns out to be a little too much help from Beetlejuice.

Packaging

The DVD is contained in a standard Amaray case with the familiar promotional image of Davis, Keaton, and a decapitated Baldwin towering over the film's country house. The DVD case in turn is included in a slipcase with a lenticular motion cover that flips between the same image as the case and a second one where Davis and Baldwin disappear and Keaton's head shrinks.

Summary

With the Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition DVD, Warner stretches the definition of "deluxe" a bit too far for my taste by offering no additional special features over the previous DVD release beyond three episodes of a lousy animated spin-off series and a lenticular motion slipcover. On the positive side of the ledger, the audio/video presentation is quite good and the film is presented in its uncensored form which probably would receive a PG-13 rating if released today.

Regards,

Edited by Ken_McAlinden - 7/7/2009 at 03:32 am GMT

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Actually, given what passes for a PG-13 these days, I'd be surprised if the rating changed at all. I'm guessing that you're referring to the cartoonish gore and Betelgeuse's line about the model of the house when you suggest a PG-13. Fair enough, but there's more than one person out there who's lost his mind trying to understand the machinations of CARA.

Great review, BTW. This is one title I'll be perfectly content to wait to buy until I'm purple.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading an article way back when BEETLEJUICE was first released talking about how they did reshoots on this due to confused test audiences. Specifically, originally every time the husband and wife left the house, they were transported to a completely different world, and this confused audiences so scenes were reshot so they only traveled to the same "other world" each time. I'm surprised and disappointed that the original "other world" sequences aren't included here as a supplement.

Vincent

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I just want to be sure of something - it looks like my current copy in non-anamorphic. (I was too lazy to get up and put the DVD in the player; I'm basing this on my DVD Profiler entry.) Is that true of all releases of this film prior to this one?

If so, it looks as if the only thing deluxe about this release is it's finally being released with a decent transfer. I love this film, so I'll still get it, but it's sure disappointing.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Its my favorite movie and being that I only have the VHS left, of course I'm getting it. However, I am so unbelievably disappointed with this. Pissed off. Deluxe Edition? All these years clamoring for a well worth it release of Beetlejuice on DVD and this is all we get. Not even a commentary track. At least give us something. It's a "Deluxe Edition", yet it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING relating to the movie itself in regards to special features. Nothing. I would have been happy with even a little Featurette. At least some effort to match what they're calling this release. So much potential, so many things this release could have had.

Pathetic.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The previous release of Beetlejuice was on a double-sided single-layered DVD-10 "flipper" with a 16:9 enhanced widescreen version on one side and a 4:3 full frame version on the other side. In addition to the isolated score and theatrical trailer, it had brief text based production notes and cast/crew biographies as extras.

Regards,

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Oh yea, I had forgotten about the production notes and cast/crew biographies. So, technically the old release was more "deluxe" than this lol

Does this release at least have a nice menu? Or is it just a still picture like last time and you select "play movie" or what not and thats it. I like an exciting menu....!

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
This has to be one of the worst DVD trends, the Non-Special Special edition.

If they can't arrange or refused to put up the cash to get key people involved in the film to participate then fine, but don't bill it as "deluxe" edition.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
We're still talking about a new transfer on a DVD that was last released 11 years ago.

The new extras on the "Fletch" and "Poltergeist" SE's were complete crap too but they both offer great video improvements.

This movie definitely deserves a loaded 2-disc set with commentary, deleted scenes and a feature-length doc and it's disappointing that we didn't get that for the 20th Anniversary but the presentation of the film itself deserves more than what's been available during the entire life of the DVD format and I can't ignore the fact that this has finally been rectified.

It could be a lot better but what we have is a lot worse. I've known that the only new offerings would be the cartoon episodes for several months and I've still been looking forward to this release. Now if only Warner Bros. would bring "Mars Attacks!" up to the level of the other Burton films on DVD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Love the movie, but I see no reason to purchase this insulting re-release. I'll stick with my flipper.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Love the movie, so I'll just look the other way on the "Deluxe" part of it. You know, Cool Hand Luke is deluxe as is Deliverance and they have decent extras! Shame.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Great review. It sure doesn't sound deluxe in the extras dept. but I'll buy it even if just to get rid of one more snapper.

Got my copy from DeepDiscount & it didn't have a Lenticular or any other kind of slipcover. Are b&m stores selling it with a slipcover?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks