What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: Barnaby Jones: The First Season (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, even the 70s Cartoon collection got that warning?
I could sort of understand it for the Looney Tunes sets, with their WW2 Era Nazi stuff and Blackface gags, but the 70s cartoons?
Wow.
Yeah, the warning is on the back of the box. I watched it all the way through, and I'm just puzzled as to why they feel a warning is necessary. The cartoons themselves are harmless at best. I'd rather kids would watch some of those cool cartoons of yesteryear than some of the crap aimed at them currently.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /forum/thread/297627/htf-dvd-review-barnaby-jones-the-first-season#post_3662736
Yeah, the warning is on the back of the box. I watched it all the way through, and I'm just puzzled as to why they feel a warning is necessary. The cartoons themselves are harmless at best. I'd rather kids would watch some of those cool cartoons of yesteryear than some of the crap aimed at them currently.
While I agree there are definitely channels showing cartoons produced for this generation that are complete garbage there are also some really great educational programs being produced today. Better then I ever recall seeing when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's. My kids only watch "Nick Jr." formerly known as"Noggin" and not to be confused with "Nickolodean". This station shows cartoons produced in the last decade or so that are educational in all respects, as well as being commercial free. I would prefer my kids watch shows like Little Bear, Franklin, Oswald (too name a few) over anything from the past. So I wouldn't want everyone to think all is a loss in this day and age. Of course I probably only know about these because I have young children. Otherwise, I would probably think everything revolved around Sponge Bob.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/297627/htf-dvd-review-barnaby-jones-the-first-season#post_3662450
The transfers are indeed exceptional and I've been having fun with the set, HOWEVER, I have just come across a very bizarre edit on the first episode of Disc 2 (episode #4) in which the psycho college student originally used a certain word that began with the letter n as part of the expression the "n------in the woodpile." when he talks about framing a black man for a killing he was part of. This infamous word has been bleeped over with a loud tone, and I can't believe that this was the case with the original broadcast since in the anything goes world of the 70s the n-word was appearing with greater frequency on certain programs.
At any rate if it is a new edit, shame on CBS/Paramount because this isn't a sympathetic character using the expression it's a psycho. Has Political Correctness gotten this much out of hand that we're now going to see this kind of selective editing on other programs from now on?
I just watched that episode last night and then went and found the two copies I have of that episode from different stations during syndication in the late 80's and early 90's. In one episode they cut the scene entirely and had the boys go into the locker room and then they are at the window. In the other episode they just cut the line out, they still have the locker room scene and the ring leader shoves the other guy into the stall and he says everything but that line, they cut it right after he says something about the school and then they go over to the window. That works better than the bleep but I am also not one for cutting anything out.
As for the original broadcast I am sure they would have just changed the line if they thought it would cause a problem but of course back then we didn't have to deal with the PC Police. Oh those were the days!

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I also hope Season 2 of Barnaby Jones will come out this year. Also, I hope Paramount will Release Season 3 of Cannon this year too. The same release date for Cannon Season 3 Volume 1 and Barnaby Jones Season 2 or Season 2 Volume 1 would be great again!

Robert

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally found a copy of season 1, and after watching the first episode, I'm surprised at how good the episodes look.

With an early 70s show, I was expecting the episodes to look faded, or have a lot of dirt on the prints. But these episodes look gorgeous.

Oh, and the show is pretty good, too.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I am just curious since I only own about 30 DVD sets and this is the first set that I have seen where the titles are the episodes are on each DVD. I really like that feature and just wondered if it was something new.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't quite get what you mean, but I think I can answer you...

The episode titles on all DVDs are the actual episode titles. It's just that most shows don't show the episode titles onscreen.

Quinn Martin Shows (like Barnaby Jones), the Star Trek series, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Twilight Zone... those are shows I can think of that show the episode titles onscreen.

Now, if you mean the episode titles on the top surface of the DVD, well, that's a CBS/Paramount thing. Long ago, they went the cheaper route of no art on the top of the DVD, so they just put the series name, and the episode titles on the DVD surface. They've been doing that since 2006 or 2007. Some series, though, like Cheers or Everybody Hates Chris, they have put the episode titles on the top of the disc since before they stopped doing disc art.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Gary OS /forum/thread/297627/htf-dvd-review-barnaby-jones-the-first-season#post_3662505

Quote:

Well, that's really a shame because any sane person would be able to take into account the type of character making such comments (in this case a psycho). The entire "PC Police" issue has really burned me up when it comes to dvd releases over the last decade. From censoring Tom & Jerry cartoons to Maltin's comments on Disney Treasure sets to disclaimers all over the place on different sets, the whole thing makes me sick. But to use a loud "bleep" noise to censor this is really over the top. Just mute it if your that thickheaded and scared. But don't bleep it out with a sound. All that does is call more attention to the remark. Seems to be the antithesis of what the PC people should want. Or maybe not. Perhaps they want to call attention to these things. Whatever. It's ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

Gary "I can't believe CBS/P continues to do these assinine things with their releases" O.
As I always say, shades of Stalin here, though not quite on his cataclysmic scale. Still, he used to take old photographs and cut out anyone he didn't like and then reproduce the revised photograph as original.

No one has mentioned this example yet, but take a look at the 1960-62 MR. MAGOO series that was released by Sony as "THE COMPLETE COLLECTION." In some of the episodes the original, albeit exaggerated for comic effect, Chinese accent of Magoo's "houseboy" Charlie is intact, but on other episodes it is replaced by a dry monotone which, according to one Amazon reviewer, sounds like an "English butler." (Setting aside the PC aspects of it, anyone see the weird parallels to this release and that of THE FUGITIVE, i.e. is there any rational explanation for the scattershot execution of the replacement? Perhaps Mark Heyes supplied the voice of the English butler?).

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man /forum/thread/297627/htf-dvd-review-barnaby-jones-the-first-season#post_3665094
I don't quite get what you mean, but I think I can answer you...
The episode titles on all DVDs are the actual episode titles. It's just that most shows don't show the episode titles onscreen.
Quinn Martin Shows (like Barnaby Jones), the Star Trek series, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Twilight Zone... those are shows I can think of that show the episode titles onscreen.
Now, if you mean the episode titles on the top surface of the DVD, well, that's a CBS/Paramount thing. Long ago, they went the cheaper route of no art on the top of the DVD, so they just put the series name, and the episode titles on the DVD surface. They've been doing that since 2006 or 2007. Some series, though, like Cheers or Everybody Hates Chris, they have put the episode titles on the top of the disc since before they stopped doing disc art.
Thanks! What I was referring to was that with other DVD sets if I want to watch a certain episode I have to get out the cover and find out what disc it is on or in some cases pull out a leaflet that tells me which disc I have to get out for that episode. With this Barnaby Jones set I just look at the disc itself because it states which episodes are on that particular disc. I find that rather handy and not something I have on any other set.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
They do look really great. CANNON should and could have looked like this, but I guess they went with old masters.
And the bleeped line is really something. They would have been better off just cutting out the audio, but that loud bleep got my attention and I ran the scene back. Since they didn't edit any frames, it is clear what the guy is saying, but the bleep make it more pronounced.
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
At least the picture's great looking and I'll keep buying for sure, but it's still a bummer the way the PC Police mess around with some parts of history essentially, who are they trying to protect by changing factual things anyway. A misunderstood/misplaced act of nobility. You can almost see (though not condone) what's behind it for family cartoons but not a crime show, have we really become that prude and scared of our own shadow...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morgan
do look really great. CANNON should and could have looked like this, but I guess they went with old masters.
And the bleeped line is really something. They would have been better off just cutting out the audio, but that loud bleep got my attention and I ran the scene back. Since they didn't edit any frames, it is clear what the guy is saying, but the bleep make it more pronounced.

First off, I have to say I am loving this series. I had faint memories of watching it, usually with my grandmother, in it's initial run when I was still in grade school. It's been a blast and I'm really glad I picked it up (not that this was ever in doubt, but I had thought about waiting for a while).

Secondly, I have to agree with the comments above. That scene and that bleep is really awkward and I can't believe that was the best way to go if CBS were that concerned. They'd have been much better off just muting the voice of the actor for that half second rather than use a loud bleep. All that did was accentuate the word. Very, very weird choice from CBS.

Gary "I wish we could see Season 2 before the year is out, but I have my doubts" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Gary OS /forum/thread/297627/htf-dvd-review-barnaby-jones-the-first-season/30#post_3677225

Secondly, I have to agree with the comments above. That scene and that bleep is really awkward and I can't believe that was the best way to go if CBS were that concerned. They'd have been much better off just muting the voice of the actor for that half second rather than use a loud bleep. All that did was accentuate the word. Very, very weird choice from CBS.

Gary "I wish we could see Season 2 before the year is out, but I have my doubts" O.
I don't know how much work it would have been, but I would have liked to have seen an uncensored audio track option, as many Fox Animated or Adult Swim DVDs have.

I can understand people being offended and not wanting to hear that one word, but I'd also like a choice to have the audio track censored or not.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Yes, the bleep is a major mistake and only draws attention to itself, why not just let the unsympathetic character be as he is. Anyway, I'm loving this set it's a wonderful show and Jones' sleuthing sort of like a mix of Columbo and Jessica Fletcher, seriously. More, more, more! /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
I will order mine tomorrow DeepDiscount.com has it on sale for $21.57 Sweet! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
That is a great price. As soon as I saw it I went to DD and ordered Barnaby Jones at that fantastic price.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This set has been a very, very pleasant surprise for me. I had memories of watching this with my grandmother when I was in grade school and middle school, but for some reason those memories were faint and I wasn't positive I'd like it all that much now. But it has exceeded my expectations and then some! I have my doubts that CBS/P will put out a second season set any time soon (if at all), but I wish they would.

Gary "gotta love Buddy Ebsen's choice of beverage every time he's asked, 'What'll you have?'" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This set has been a very, very pleasant surprise for me. I had memories of watching this with my grandmother when I was in grade school and middle school, but for some reason those memories were faint and I wasn't positive I'd like it all that much now. But it has exceeded my expectations and then some! I have my doubts that CBS/P will put out a second season set any time soon (if at all), but I wish they would.
Gary "gotta love Buddy Ebsen's choice of beverage every time he's asked, 'What'll you have?'" O.
I knew you'd like this one.
Jeff "Box set from the UK received" W.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm loving this series, but at only 14 episodes for the first season I'm taking my sweet time watching it. I'm hoping the next set is the complete second season and not broken into volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks