What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Andy Richter Controls the Universe: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Andy Richter Controls the Universe: The Complete Series
Directed by Andy Ackerman et al

Studio: Paramount
Year: 2002-2003
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1anamorphic
Running Time: 417 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo English
Subtitles: CC
MSRP: $ 42.99

Release Date: March 24, 2009
Review Date: March 14, 2009

The Series

3.5/5

James Thurber’s whimsical Walter Mitty was renowned for his hilarious flights of fancy, and with Andy Richter Controls the Universe, we have the closest thing to that magical tale that television has attempted in many years. This new three-disc set of the nineteen episode total series output (the show spanned two television seasons) puts the series’ quirky point of view and droll characters on display for all to see. The show was not always at the top of its game, and as it ran, it began to delve less in fantasy scenarios and more with its eccentric cast of characters simply trying to cope with life’s little foibles that always seem to tangle them up. Like other Fox comedies such as Arrested Development, the show appealed to only a niche audience and never really caught on in a big way. But the show has enormous creativity at its best, and even the lesser episodes will likely put a smile on your face.

Andy Richter (Andy Richter) writes technical manuals for various industrial products manufactured by Pickering Industries. Sharing his office is manual illustrator Byron (Jonathan Slavin), a nervous nerdy type who joins Andy in that constant search for love and fulfillment (Andy lands a series of girl friends during the run of the show; Byron finds his ideal mate in Andy‘s grandmother). Andy’s boss Jessica (Paget Brewster), his best friend Keith (James Patrick Stuart), and Keith’s receptionist-girl friend Wendy (Irene Molloy) complete the office ensemble. All have personalities that allow the show’s writers to bounce some surreal plots off of, and in Richter‘s Mitty-like fantasies, the plots often stop and start over either more realistically or more absurdly, whichever can bring about the greatest number of laughs. Irene Molloy is the least accomplished performer of the group; she seems to have to work harder to earn her laughs. Those familiar with Paget Brewster from her current dramatic assignment on Criminal Minds will be delighted by her comic timing and command of humor in the series. James Patrick Stuart has his pretty boy “to the manor born” character down to a science and is expert enough not to earn audience scorn by downplaying his good looks and merely playing the character innocently accepting of all the good that comes his way through his appearance. Also turning up in most episodes is the scowling, disapproving, long-dead founder of the company Mr. Pickering (John Bliss) who constantly berates Andy for his bad life and work choices and who takes great pleasure in seeing him struggle.

Among the notable scenarios Andy and company get involved with include Jessica’s dating twins (one is a whiz at conversation, the other a remarkable lover; she’s content to take the best of each), Andy and friends trying to understand Byron’s religious leanings (worshipping a sheep god), Wendy’s struggle to make it in show biz, and the group trying to be more tolerant of minorities including the Irish. Though not filled with guest stars, a few surprising ones show up during these episodes: Jon Cryer, Molly Sims, Conan O’Brien, Rose Marie, Jack Carter, Cedric Yarborough, Rex Lee, Jim Beaver, Marilu Henner’s voice, and June Lockhart.

Here are the episodes from the three disc set:

1 - Pilot
2 - Grief Counselor
3 - Little Andy in Charge
4 - Second Episode
5 - Gimme a C
6 - Wedding
7 - We’re All the Same, Only Different
8 - Twins
9 - France
10 - Holy Sheep
11 - Relationship Ripcord
12 - The Show Might Go On
13 - Crazy in Rio
14 - The Maid Man
15 - Bully the Kid
16 - Duh Dog
17 - Final Fantasy
18 - Saturday Early Evening Fever
19 - Charity Begins in D Block

Once again, the box notes include a caveat about edits in the shows and the changing of music for this presentation. Those much more familiar with the show than I will be able to be more specific about changes which have been made.

Video Quality

3.5/5

The program is framed at 1.78:1 and is anamorphically enhanced for widescreen televisions. Nine of the episodes were taped, and those programs feature very good sharpness and luscious flesh tones. The remaining ten episodes were filmed, and those transfers are soft and are much less visually appealing with color a bit dated looking. There are occasional dust specks but nothing too serious in terms of other digital artifacts. Each episode has been divided into 4 chapters.

Audio Quality

3/5

The Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio track is minimally stereophonic. Since the show is largely dialog-driven, it’s important that this aspect be clear, and it’s well done. That and sound effects seem to land strongly in the center channel with the music being channeled to the left and right front speakers.

Special Features

2.5/5

Star Andy Richter and creator Victor Fresco contribute two audio commentaries for the set. The commentary for the pilot is entertaining with specific comments made about each of the principal actors and mentioning some scenes that didn’t make the final cut of the episode. The commentary for “Little Andy in Charge” is less interesting as they appear to run out of stories and comment more about what’s happening on the screen.

“How Andy Richter Controlled the Universe” is an anamorphic 25-minute interview with the show’s creator Victor Fresco and the five principal actors all looking back on the making of the show and their fondest memories of working with one another. (Each person is interviewed separately.)

“What If Andy Richter Controlled the Universe” is a throwaway 4 ½-minute trifle in which the five actors speculate on what the world would be like if Andy were in charge and how it would be different if he or she were the one in charge. It’s also in anamorphic widescreen.

There are previews for CBS/Paramount comedies like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Becker, and Evening Shade, among others.

In Conclusion

3.5/5 (not an average)

A funny, quirky show with a unique approach to storytelling, Andy Richter Controls the Universe is very enjoyable and very different. A couple of bonus features give added value to the package which has been a long time coming to home video.

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
will be picking this up as soon as it goes below £18 or $20 to avoid custom charges, as I love Paget Brewster

TVAdam

Grip
Real Name
Adam
When Andy first sees Wendy in the pilot episode, the Etta James' song "At Last" plays. Is that on the DVD? To be honest, that's the only song I can remember from the show, although I'm sure there was more music that I just can't think of right now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I can check, but I honestly don't remember that. However, I watched all 19 episodes in one day, so I could have simply forgotten.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Me too! As much as I would like to buy it now, I'm going to have to wait a few months & maybe buy it from Amazon Marketplace. This $=£ exchange is a killer!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I did check this, and it sounds as if the vocal has been removed from the audio track leaving only the barest orchestral accompaniment.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
Thanks for the review. This set will help keep me occupied while I wait for someone to put out "Andy Barker, P. I.".

TVAdam

Grip
Real Name
Adam

Alright, thanks for checking for me.

It's too bad about the edit. But this show is so funny, that a few musical edits won't ruin the release for me. I'm also excited about the bonus features.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I just got the set and since I had seen this discussion I scanned through the pilot episode that I still had on TiVo (yes, 7 years later - that's how much I liked the show) to see what songs had been replaced. Here's the list that I noted:

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - "Crimson and Clover"
Etta James - "At Last"
Youngbloods - "Get Together"
Pat Benatar - "We Belong"

All have been replaced by generic sounding music. I think all of the scenes suffer from the omission - or rather, suffer from the weakness of the replacement music.

So since I had the original show up, I checked the video. Yes, they cropped the original composition down from 4:3 to make the 16:9 image. You can see it pretty frequently since they cut off the top of Richter's head. You unfortunately can't see it when they crop out Irene Molloy's cleavage. The image also seems pretty soft, at least for the pilot.

So I waited 7 years and got a butchered version. At least I finally will get to see the five unaired episodes (I never had HDNet when they aired them).

But I am still really disappointed in the product.

Brad

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Just watched "Grief Counseling" and noticed another edit.

At their co-worker's funeral, Andy notes he has as much chance of being with Wendy as the corpse has of getting up and doing the Hustle. Moments later, after Wendy asks Andy out, Andy imagines the man rising from the casket and dancing. While there's an okay-sounding substitute, "Do the Hustle" is gone. It doesn't destroy the scene...but having the actual song made it a bit funnier.

But, as others have said, I'm so happy this show is on DVD that the music replacements aren't a huge issue for me. Not having seen this since it originally aired on FOX, I had forgotten how funny this series was!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks