1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Cycle Thread #2 - Anyone Watching theTDF?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Edan W, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

Well, the TTT was today and for anyone who's taping/waiting for the primetime show to see what happened... Lance and co. flexed their muscle and put Pena in yellow (by 1s...on his birthday, pretty good gift).

I'm really hoping that this years tour will have a little more drama than the last one. While I continue to marvel at Lance's ability to win mountain stages if and when he chooses, I think it would be great for he and Ullrich and maybe Beloki to slug it out on the Alpe. Either way, I'm looking forward to Sunday's stage.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I watch in real time on the weekends and tape during the week so that I can catch up during the day. I avoid the online sites during the day, so if there are any surprises, I get the surprise unvarnished. The breakaway a couple of days ago is a good example. I could watch my copy and listen to Phil and company’s commentary, not knowing if the peleton caught him or not.

Both Ullrich and Beloki are looking good so far, but it is very early days. The TTT today will be the first real sorting. Knowing next to nothing about Ullrich’s team, I’m expecting a win or very high finish by the Posties.

Phil made the point the other day that Ullrich might not really need a great team, as he only has to concentrate on Lance and does not have to control the race with his team.

Which means that I’m expecting some big drama.

I still hope for a win by Lance, but of course I’d like to see a real test.

Otherwise I’m pulling for Stuart O’Grady to get the green. But he has not looked threatening in the points competition so far.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    re: Stuart O’Grady

No, he hasn't.. He's made a little presence near the top but not really close enough to challenge the sprints. He's very easily spotted through with the Aussie Nat. Championship jersey.

I predicted Petacchi would have a good tour and so far, he has with 2 stage wins...

Simoni is supposedly now 3 minutes behind! But Bianchi had a very good TTT and Ullrich is still in a good spot. Tyler did well again, I hope he finishes the Tour, he is an inspiration and actually my favorite rider for the Tour (even before his crash), always have been a Tyler fan cause he's a East coaster and seems very down to earth.

I watch the PVR'ed stages every night and avoid most of the forums and/or bike news sites. Velonews has learned not to disclose the winner, it got into hot water with fans I believe about 2 years ago, now they do a better job to make the homepage free of results.

Seems like McEwen is up to his usual antics, no wonder he has the reputation of being disliked.

Less than a week before I go to France. I'll have a Red/White panelled Lemond Zurich with a N'Aeropack rack on the back with the World Cup rainbow on the bike with me. So if you see me on OLN on the side of the road, that's me! [​IMG]

Jay

4. Lew Crippen

I thought that I had posted this earlier, but I see that there must have been some operator error.

Yesterday was a perfect example of why I keep away from all TDF information until after I’ve watched the day’s proceedings. The TTT was just completely engrossing and an early statement of dominance by U.S. Postal. I can’t remember well enough, but it seems a bit unusual for the top eight places (and 9 of the top 11 or 12) to be all in the same team—even this early in the tour.

The way they just accelerated all the way to the finish and at the same time kept all nine together until the end was just incredible.

For the others, Ullrich and Beloki are still OK, but I think the three minutes back is too much for the other possible contenders. Tyler is not too far back in time, but even he won’t be able to successfully challenge over another two plus weeks, given his condition.

Vamos Peñea

Allez Lance

Go Posties [​IMG]

5. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

Cippolini who? [​IMG]

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Watching Pena on the podium was joy! I love watching guys who truly feel the joy when winning, his interview with Frankie was great too. He seems truely a gifted cyclist and somebody with complete knowledge of his place in history.

I want one of those Lions (or should that be a Lyon? [​IMG] )

Stuart was again in the front group in yesterday's stage, but Petacchi comes flying out of nowhere to win the stage easily.

Check out the news at cylingnews, good interviews with Pena and also on Lottos last place finish in the TTT.

Jay

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Wow-eeeeee-ooooo, what a stage yesterday, I was glued to the edge of my seat just watching the throngs of fans and just the excitement. What other sport allows you to get so close to the athletes? I always amazed at the amount of preperation that goes onto road courses and that it all goes off so relative smoothly, that includes the motorcycle camerapeople, the team cars, the TdF officials, the medical staff, etc.

Too bad for Beloki, he seemed to be the prime aggressor and was looking good for a podium finish. Next week in the Pyranees would be interesting as he is a Spanish rider. Just hearing him in pain sent chills down my spine.

Vino is looking really good, I knew his attack at the end was a smart move and he did it so effortlessly. If Lance didn't have to do that cyclocross move, he wouldn't of gained as much time, but still would of won the race and that is a great result for him. I missed the climb up the Izoard cause it seemed OLN started yesterday's stage at 8am and my PVR was set to 9am, but I did see some of the descent on the rebroadcast.

Overall, it seems to be a hotter than usual tour, temps in the high 80s but road temps in the mid nineties, the temps certainly seemed to play a factor in Belokis puncture. Another reason cyclists are adviced to feather the brakes in long descents and not ride them. Make sure the brake pad is not in contact with the sidewall either.

Waking up this morning, and I hear the people on CBS today talking about the stage, they had trouble trying to figure out how to pronounce "Vinokourov" [​IMG] I guess if Jorg Jascke ever gets the yellow, they're in trouble. [​IMG]

Another fantastic day for Tyler, he is just more impressive than ever... Tyler in 2004!!! Continue the American domination. I don't think he's going to make the podium as he's in 5th right now, but he should remain in the top 6-7 I gather and lets just say that next year, if Lance is still riding, Tyler is going to an odds-on favorite for the tour. The only question is how good is CSC going to be for Tyler as the Posties are an awesome team for Lance. There's nobody else in CSC I have seen up at the top except for Tyler.

Jay

8. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

9. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    A great spectacle indeed. According to Lance, the melted tar on the road caused Beloki's rear tire to slip and when he applied the brake, well, that was it. Too bad for him and ONCE(Edited-ONCE of course, I don't know why I wrote Euskaltel) , as some of them stopped(including Jaksche) to lend assistance and lost even more time. Hate to see him go like that.
    One thing I have to say is that Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin are a pair of the best broadcasters in _any_ sport. Great insight, compelling narrative. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Word is, that Lance will race in the TDF through 2004, so will be interesting to see.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Jakske and Beloki are on the same team - ONCE, of course they are going to stop for their leader.

# Kilometre 156: Cote de Saint Apollinaire (6.7 kilometres at 7.4 percent)

This was the hard hill and only at a Cat 2. The steepness is just short of the higher hills like the Tourmalet but it's not as long, being about 5-6 KMs shorter than the HC climbs..

The Izoard is a 19.4km climb but "only" at an average gradient of 5.9%.

Phil Liggett has been coveraging the tour for 31 years, many people, including myself, have grown up listening to him and didn't start actively following the tour til the mid 90s.

Paul Sherwen used to work as publicity director(?) for Motorola when they were arround and both were cyclists too before finding roles in journalism and eventually to OLN. Of course, Bob Roll and Frankie Andreau were pro cyclists. I am not sure about the history of Sam Posey but he does seem an avid fan at least. Have no clue about Pam Fletcher and from the looks of it, Kisten Gum has no clue. (I mean that in a nice way though, otherwise, who would be there to taunt Bobke).

Jay

P.S. I found out that Jimmy Casper of FDJeux.com finally succumbed to his stage 1 crash along with Tyler yesterday during Stage 9. Poor guy was left to riding with a neckbrace in obvious pain throughout his TdF, often seen hanging to the back of the peloton. Here's to a speedy recovery!

11. Lew Crippen

Yesterday was definitely the best stage so far. Attack after attack. They started early and the one that worked happened right at the end.

Tyler is certainly impressive and my hat is off to him. I can’t imagine that he will be competitive in the time trials, but I thought that about the mountains as well.

And as for Petacchi—is he destined to just another one-week rider? I’ve got to say that I’m not so impressed with the sprinters who let it all hang out for a few stages when then know they are going to quit as soon as they hit something more than a 1% slope. But I do have to admit that his acceleration at the end is awesome.

I too have been listening to Phil Liggett for a long time. One thing that you might not know Jay, is that he si the commentator you will hear if you were watching the tour in Australia (or England). Maybe any English speaking country.

IIRC, I did not hear OLN references when I listened to them in Oz. But my memory may be faulty. In any case, I am pretty impressed that they can provide commentary that gets chopped up various ways for various markets. And make it all seem sensible.

And as for Kisten, she might possibly know a bit more than it appears, as it is her job to ask ‘obvious’ questions to Bob, Phil and Paul—this of course so they can answer basics for those who know nothing about the sport and don’t alienate those who do, but talking down unprompted, thereby alienating the aficionados.

And even if she is clueless, she gets three weeks in France, paid for by OLN. Let me be as clueless as that.