HTF causing Netscape to crash

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Wilson, Feb 1, 2002.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Hi.

I was wondering if there are any settings that I should reset regarding either Netscape 4.76 or WinNT 4.0 service pack 6 in order to keep Netscape from crashing. HTF is the only site where I consistantly get address errors. I can provide more info if needed but I'm not sure what would be pertinent.

Thanks for any suggestions that you may be able to offer. I don't have the same issue logged on to a different system using my same profiles.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

John, I am experiencing the same thing running Netscape 4.79 on Win2K SP2. It got so bad that I had to resort to using *hssss* IE.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Fellas...
    I eventually gave up on using Netscape 4.79 with HTF. Now, I use only IE with HTF. Mind you, it is the ONLY thing I use IE for, but that is the sad fact. It is the only way I can get all the HTF functions to work properly. [​IMG]
    BTW, I'm running Windows ME.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'm having the same problems. Weird thing is, it's only been happening the last week or so.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Guys:

Sorry, I have had to be off the air for a few days as I have not had any power to my house.

Regarding, Netscape. Your guess is as good as mine as to why it is happening for you. I am running Netscape 4.77 to 4.79 and Netcape 6.0 on Windows XP with no problems. So I cannot evaluate your situation. Do you have the same problems with the vBulletin site? What about AVS Forum?

When you say Netscape crashes what do you mean? It locks up on you? Shuts down your computer or what?

I really wish I could help but I have no clue as to what could be causing this to happen.

Parker

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Netscapte 4.79 on Win2K appears to be running okay on my newly re-loaded home PCtoday, but on Friday, the HTF would cause Netscape 4.79 on Win2K on my work laptop to puke and you'd get that error message that: Netscape died, so click "cnacel" and be on your way. So you start Netscape again, go to the HTF and soon it would puke again. I have no idea why it was so chaotic on Friday, but on Sunday, things appear normal.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Let me know if this is continuing to happen. It might have been something with the server.

Parker

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I don't mean to be rude, but I strongly suggest dropping NS 4.7 and getting IE 6.0. IE accepted as being (far) better than NS, even by MS bashers. (Doesn't AOL use IE as its internal browser now?) It is also far more standards-compliant. And, in my own experience, incredibly more stable.
    Or, you could try the new NS 6. I've not used it, but I've heard decent things.
    Besides, ensuring websites work with the antediluvian technology of Netscape 4.x is a real hassle. [​IMG]

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Apologies -- Netscape 6.0 is said to be mediocre to truly sucky. Reports on 6.2 are generally very positive. A review for NS 6.2 on Linux, I think, by one of the main Slashdot 'editors'.
    http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?.../11/12/1244210
    Another off-hand comment about it, calling it a "very good browser" (see bottom, the "N.B." comment):
    http://www.alistapart.com/bugs.html
    Opera is also said to be excellent, though it's not free. I tried a previous version and didn't care for its interface, but I see people raving about it all over the web.
    http://www.opera.com/