HTF Car of the Week (1/17): 2004 Pontiac GTO

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

2004 Ponitac GTO
    [​IMG]
    Just take a look at it. Wait a sec, it looks nothing like the original. Oh...that's because it's been 30 years since the last original rolled off the assembly line. Coming late this year, the GTO will be back with new lines and a fire-breathing LS1 under the hood. It's based on the Austrailian GM Holden Monaro.
    [​IMG]
    The V8 is rated at 340hp/360lb-ft torque. Most articles suggest that the 6-speed equipped GTO will do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, quarter mile in 14 sec @ 105 mph, and has a top speed of 160 mph.
    [​IMG]
    Seems like all the cars I showcase have 18" wheels...well surprise surprise, so does the GTO. There's also a 10 speaker stereo (probably Bose [​IMG] ).
    I'd like to say that I am glad Pontiac is breaking out of the V6 department and bringing back the muscle car (even if it looks like a Grand Am [​IMG]).
    [​IMG]

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm not that impressed with its style...its not ugly by any means just nothing to really set itself apart from other similar cars...its almost like a toyota celica/paseo from this angle

3. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Looks quite lame for a car calling itself GTO.

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Well at least they put a V-8 in it!! I LIKE IT especially with a 6 speed!![​IMG]

5. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I was much more interested in this GTO...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All I can say is WTF happened? They had a fantastic start and ended up with something my Mom would buy as a grocery getter.
    Dean

6. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I think GM may have missed the boat with this one. Not that it's in any way bad in its current form, but it could have been so much more.

ONLY a sub-6 second 0-60 with 340HP? The M3 does it in 4.9 seconds with 333HP. Is the GTO really that heavy, or is the engine that overrated? I really want to like this car, but the performance just doesn't seem to be impressive (of course, we'll see for sure when it's actually in production).

7. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Yeah, but looking like a grocery-getter is what will make this car a good sleeper.

8. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I saw this thing at the auto show in Detroit a week and half ago. It looks like a Grand am on steroids. I also thought it resembled the Camaro just before they stopped building it. Anyway I give it a big [​IMG] in the looks department. One of the Detroit papers took a bunch of average joes around the auto show to get some opinions on the newest cars, including the GTO. Out of the 10 or so people all but 1 gave it a [​IMG] Keep trying GM, maybe someday you'll make a decent looking car.

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Good lord it looks like a Hyundai! Bah. I also have to agree with the poster who said that a 14 second quarter mile is way slow for a 340 HP/360lb-ft car. That's a big ol' torquey motor. Those figures are soft for sure.

I can't believe they would call this a GTO. Ugghhh!

10. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Have to agree with most of you. Ive been keeping up with the reintroductin of the GTO for a while. It was suppose to be a introduced as the current Grand Am a few years ago (glad they didnt).
    Looks like thier still gonna do the Grand (am/prix) look tho [​IMG]
    While Ford has a great look for their 2005 Stand, Pontiac is gonna call this thing a Goat??
    I like the performance aspect of it, but cmon, could they have gotten a more plain looking body!
    Sadness

11. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Am I the only one who thinks that it is almost identical to the Australian Holden GTS? It does look good though, and even more so with the engine and tranny choice!

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I like it. [​IMG]

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Man I wanted to like this car hoping the rer would look good but from all sides it looks like a sport compact.
    [​IMG]
    I'll also harp on the figures. A 340hp V8 that does the 1/4 in 14 flat is sketchy; the 287hp 350z does it in the same time with a V6.

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Weight is probably a large part of it Scott.

15. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Click here for more information:
    http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/pa...ncept/main.jsp
    Anyways, yeah, that car is definately lacking in the GTO styling department. They had better come up with something more daring than that. At least it's got the power, and should be a relative bargain.

16. DougKuhn

DougKuhn Stunt Coordinator

Cam....I thought the same thing when I first saw it. IMHO...does not live up to its name in looks.

17. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The new GTO is certainly not a bad looking car, but it's not particularly exciting either. It looks rather like the Monte Carlo before its most recent facelift.

Also, considering the 225hp 214 ft-lbs of torque 3.0 litre I6 BMW 330Ci has a 0-60 time of 5.7, under 6 seconds for a 340 hp 360 ft-lbs of torque 5.7 litre V8 is pathetic unless this car weighs 6000 lbs. or something.

18. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

No doubt Justin. It BETTER accelerate on par with a Camaro Z28 SS, which was around 5 seconds flat.

19. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

How come the styling of the new GTO reminds me of a customized Honda Civic Coupe??

20. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

My Dad still has the original Mustang and GTO .....and that ain't no DAMN GTO!