What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Training Day (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc REVIEW

74819.jpg

TRAINING DAY

Studio: Warner Bros.
Film Year: 2001
Film Length: 120 minutes
Genre: Crime/Drama/Thriller

Aspect Ratio:
2.40:1 Theatrical Ratio

Film Resolution: 1080/24p
Special features: 480/30i/p
Video Codec: MPEG-2
Colour/B&W: Colour

Audio:
English 5.1 Surround

French 5.1 Surround

Spanish 2.0 Surround

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Film Rating:

Release Date: AVAILABLE NOW

Film Rating: :star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Starring: Denzel Washington (Alonzo), Ethan Hawke (Jake), Scott Glenn (Roger), Tom Berenger (Stan Gursky), Raymond J. Barry (Lou Jacobs), Eva Mendez (Sara)

Written by: David Ayer
Directed by: Antoine Fuqua

The only thing more dangerous than the line being crossed, is the cop who will cross it.

For Jake Hoyt, it’s the first day on the job as a narcotics officer. He’s fresh blood; he has a dream that he can make the bigger difference in cleaning up a city that is overrun by crime and drugs. That dream is about to be shattered by detective Alonzo Harris of the L.A.P.D. Jake is Alonzo’s rookie in training and he shows Jake what the real world is like by breaking all of the rules.

Shocked at Alonzo’s methods, Jake becomes confused of how to deal with crime. There is the textbook method that seems good in theory or there is Alonzo’s method, a much harsher, grittier reality that gets Jake involved in the crimes. Alonzo believes that to catch criminals a detective must behave like one, although carrying a badge makes the difference. As this ‘training day’ goes by, Jake is too consumed in the corruption of his trainer and must find a way out before the day – and his life – is over.

VIDEO QUALITY 10/10
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I’ve decided to rank the video quality of these discs on a 1-10 scale. A Blu-Ray score of 5 will mean that it is similar to the best-looking DVD I can think of and the remaining 5-10 will be based on the extended resolution of Blu-Ray disc. I think this is the best way to rank these titles for now so I hope this will help you to determine what a reference HD disc is. As more BDs become available and authoring improves (as was in the early DVD days) the earliest titles I’ve ranked as “10” may not appear as “reference quality” anymore. Please note that I’m currently viewing this on a 1280x720 projector and I’m not even able to see half of the 1920x1080 information on this disc. In the simplest terms, instead of seeing 6x the resolution of DVD I’m only seeing 2.6x the improvement. Our display devices have a long way to go before we can see all of the picture information contained on these discs. This disc was reviewed on the Samsung BD-P1000 on a 35-foot Monster M1000HDMI to a calibrated PT-AE700 (D6500/D5400B&W). The screen is a D110" (8-foot wide) Da-Lite Cinema Contour (w.Pro-Trim finish) and Da-Mat fabric.

This is one of Warner Bros.’s first BD releases and I was excited to watch it to see something different from all of the Sony titles I’ve been viewing. As always, Warner Bros. did not disappoint me. Encoded in MPEG-2, I couldn’t detect any grain or other intrusive artefacts in the picture. It shows that MPEG-2 can produce excellent video quality despite the bad reviews it’s been getting. While it may not be as efficient as other codecs, it still performs well. When watching the film, it clearly felt as if I were looking through a window on my screen. There are many close up shots of Ethan Hawk’s and Denzel Washington’s face; one can see every pore and every strand of hair on the goatee. It is incredibly detailed and this level of quality is consistent over all of Warner’s BD titles.

The overall image is dim and the colour tone has been purposely altered for mood. Casts of green and orange are quite common over the image saturated all colours to these shades. Especially as the day comes to a close as the Californian sun sets, flesh tones will take on a less natural look but it’s all intentional for the storytelling. During the night, black levels are impressive and shadow detail is represented well. Details in the dark backgrounds like bushes and street trash are clearly seen in low light. Noise is completely absent from dark areas of the picture. I recommend viewing this film in a dark room to get the most impact from this film.

The aspect ratio is 2.35:1.

DOLBY DIGITAL AUDIO EXPERIENCE: 8/10 :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

For the sake of consistency with the video, I’m going to rate uncompressed PCM (and eventually the lossless audio compression formats when available), as well as lossy Dolby Digital and DTS on a scale from 1-10. This rating is based on “satisfaction” – the highest score delivering the greatest amount of satisfaction and the lowest delivering the least. When defining satisfaction, I mean both the resolution of the audio as well as the sound design for the film. I’m listening for the best experience possible. Audio is reviewed using the Samsung BD-P1000’s decoding & DACs, a Marantz SR5400 for preamp/pass-through, 2 Anthem MCA-30 amps each on Transparent PowerLink Super, Dunlavy SC-IV (front), Dunlavy SC-I (center), Focus Audio FC-50 (surrounds), Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer (LFE), 4 Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofers on 2 Mirage LFX-3 crossovers (one sub for each main channel for audio

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
How does the BD version compare to the HD DVD version?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Has your Sammy been fixed?
( :-0 / ;-) )

Thanks for the review!
Gives hope for titles like "KoH" as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks