What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Twilight Zone Season 1 Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Image would be wise to address these concerns ASAP. I have not ordered this because of all the reported issues raised by Nelson and others.
Nelson, thanks so much for being on top of this and sharing your experiences.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Steve. I hate to be posting so many times on this thread about this issue, so I'm glad it's not a nuisance.

I have looked around at the AVS forum and posted there about this. Surprisingly, there was no one with this problem who posted to my post and I didn't find any other threads on it. Maybe I missed them. And I don't see mention of it in a Google search.

Roger_R

Second Unit
Am only on disc 2 yet, but I tried disc 4 in my Oppo BDP-83 and it started up just fine. Tried playing a couple of episodes as well and there were no problems.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Originally Posted by robGray
I have a Panasonic DMP-BD50 and disc 4 won't load at all.
Same here (using the latest firmware). First disc out of at least 800 that won't play on this player.

Just wanted to post a follow up from last week...unfortunately, no word from Image regarding discs # 1 and 4, so I decided to make my Sony player a "back up" and now am using an LG BluRay player (along with the Insignia) - and no problems! It plays both of the discs fine...I really hope that we'll find out why those discs only play on certain models.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If the same discs are playing in some players and not others, it still really sounds like it's a firmware problem that needs to be updated by the manufacturers of the players. I have no clue how or why Image ended up making a disc that is having so much trouble in so many players (it's not like it uses some crazy new seamless branching or PIP video or something) but I doubt the problem is with the disc itself.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I reviewed the discs on a Panasonic DMP-BD60 with the most recent firmware and did not have any problems with any of the episodes.

I realize that is little consolation if your player will not allow you to play the disc.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Interesting to hear it plays fine on the BD60. Then again, it's been ages since the BD50 has had a firmware update (and to be honest I'm starting to doubt it will ever get another one). I agree with the sentiments stated above that this issue might be fixable via firmware update. Especially since while disc 4 would not load at all in my Panasonic BD50 it loaded fine and very quickly in my PS3. (Unfortunately, my PS3 is Region B only, so the only thing it showed after loading is the "Coded for Region A only" screen.)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Discs play fine on my Sony 570. It might be a firmware issue.

The discs look great & the menu design is the best I've ever seen for a TV series. Lets you get right to the episode & how all TV on disc should be laid out. Practical & functional. Eliminating all the unnecessary fanfare, logos, trailers, promos, disclaimers, etc. make for a much, much better product.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Just chiming in.I checked discs 1 and 4 and everything plays fine on my Sony 350. I agree that the discs look great and they loaded really quickly too.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Disc 4 will not load in my PS3 (I'm running the latest firmware). I've emailed both Image and Amazon (who I bought it from). No response from either yet. Needless to say, I'm pretty irritated at this point.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This looks like 2 things, the current firmware isn't cutting it for this release, I agree with another poster's theory on this. And 2, some discs may be defective.

In my case, when I updated firmware on my Sony BDP 550, disc 1 and 4 would plays. But I had an episode on disc 3 that would freeze and pixellate. And the Time Element also had about 4 points where it froze. The pixellation and freezing as I said above I figured was caused by a defective disc. When I got a new set, so far, so good. All discs play, but I haven't seen all the episodes yet.

I sure hope that Sony and the other companies will update firmware and that Image is aware of this. I'm finally seeing posts on another forum about the playback issue too. So it's widely spread. This is probably not a huge selling title like Iron Man, so perhaps the feedback is not getting out to the companies that fast.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
Disc 4 will not load in my PS3 (I'm running the latest firmware). I've emailed both Image and Amazon (who I bought it from). No response from either yet. Needless to say, I'm pretty irritated at this point.
UPDATE: I tried Disc 4 on my Samsung BD-C6500, and it played fine.... what a relief. I'll just make sure not to watch disc 4 in the bedroom (where the PS3 is).

Still reeling from the pristine quality of this set. There's a shot in "A Nice to Place to Visit" (when Rocky and Pip visit the Hall of Records) where the image is so sharp and detailed that my wife --- who is by no means a discerning viewer ---- commented on it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Amazon isnt selling this title right now. You can only get it from Market Place vendors. I have the title in my wish list, thank god, cause i was waiting for a $50 or so, price point. Now i am gonna wait even longer, see what gets worked out.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by RickER
Amazon isnt selling this title right now. You can only get it from Market Place vendors. I have the title in my wish list, thank god, cause i was waiting for a $50 or so, price point. Now i am gonna wait even longer, see what gets worked out.
It's for sale again with price closer to $57 so might be an opportunity for you. I love the set and haven't had any issues with playback. Can't wait for the rest of the series.

My disc 4 DID freeze, during Big Tall Wish (I can't stand this episode...and of course it's the one to bring the bad luck! LOL.) I emailed IMAGE but probably won't hear anything. Help!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by David Deeb
It's for sale again with price closer to $57 so might be an opportunity for you. I love the set and haven't had any issues with playback. Can't wait for the rest of the series.
DAMN! This is tempting. I own 3 Sony Blu-ray players. A 1000ES, 360, and PS3. What are the odds i will be able to play this set!?!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Eric, I played Big Tall Wish tonight, the first 12 minutes is fine, but at the midpoint break, it plays the Twilight Zone title card as all the other episodes does. But at 12:25 or so, at the end of the break, the screen goes black and it stays black. There's no sound either and I can see the counter continue to roll onwards and every few seconds it skips ahead about a minute, all the while, the screen is black. After a few minutes of this, the timer clicks up to the end of the episode and returns to the menu! It's as if it went into fast forward from the midpoint break. The next episode, A Nice Place to Visit won't play. The episode after that, Nightmare as a Child starts up okay. I didn't watch it. Instead I play A Stop At Willoughby, and it plays through fine.

This is a disappointment. I did try to fast forward a bit into the second half of Big Tall Wish, and I saw a pixellated image towards the end of the episode, but it was frozen. I tried to clear the disc to no avail.

Not sure what do now. Perhaps I'll try it on a friend's player. I'm thinking it could still be a bad pressing, or the player may just need a newer firmware update from Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks