What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Twilight Zone Season 1 Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

leamspaceman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Hi,
I'm new to these forums and this is my first post.
I came across this thread when searching for a solution to a problem I have with my UK Twilight Zone Blu's...and I wondered if anyone could help?
After owning the 'Gold Edition' DVD set for a number of years, I decided to go down the TZ Bluray route. I went the whole hog and got seasons 1-4 (5 is yet to be released in the UK).
I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 amp with PS3 connected via HDMI. I've got a 7.1 set-up with centre, front L/R, front wide L/R, rear L/R and sub.
The uncompressed audio on the TZ Blu's only comes from the centre, right front wide and rear right speakers. This is voice, sound effects, music...everything. When I switch to the DD track, the sound just comes from the centre speaker.
I've tried all different mono settings on the Onkyo (full mono, mono) but still the same. The manual states that full mono should give sound from all speakers. I also tried switching the PS3 from 'Bitstream' to LPCM over HDMI but still the same issue.
Ideally, I'd like the mono sound from all speakers and be able to choose the uncompressed track. I've no idea why it chooses to come from just the right hand channel?
I wonder if any of you guys have had similar issues? What channels do you get your TZ Blu's to output from, both in uncompressed and DD? What can I realistically expect in terms of mono sound?
If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers:)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by leamspaceman /t/303895/htf-blu-ray-review-the-twilight-zone-season-1-blu-ray/300#post_3854767
Hi,
I'm new to these forums and this is my first post.
I came across this thread when searching for a solution to a problem I have with my UK Twilight Zone Blu's...and I wondered if anyone could help?
After owning the 'Gold Edition' DVD set for a number of years, I decided to go down the TZ Bluray route. I went the whole hog and got seasons 1-4 (5 is yet to be released in the UK).
I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 amp with PS3 connected via HDMI. I've got a 7.1 set-up with centre, front L/R, front wide L/R, rear L/R and sub.
The uncompressed audio on the TZ Blu's only comes from the centre, right front wide and rear right speakers. This is voice, sound effects, music...everything. When I switch to the DD track, the sound just comes from the centre speaker.
I've tried all different mono settings on the Onkyo (full mono, mono) but still the same. The manual states that full mono should give sound from all speakers. I also tried switching the PS3 from 'Bitstream' to LPCM over HDMI but still the same issue.
Ideally, I'd like the mono sound from all speakers and be able to choose the uncompressed track. I've no idea why it chooses to come from just the right hand channel?
I wonder if any of you guys have had similar issues? What channels do you get your TZ Blu's to output from, both in uncompressed and DD? What can I realistically expect in terms of mono sound?
If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers:)
Its possible it might be a problem with Pro-logic. I had that happen once with a copy of National Lampoon's Vacation on blu.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I went through all of the DVD season sets and compared them to the Blu-rays. As far as I'm concerned, this is a DEFINITIVE list of the missing features:
S1 missing special features:
Time Enough At Last- The Drew Carey Show Clip (0:45)
The Might Casey- photo gallery (5 pictures)
Photo Gallery (24)
Serling Game Show photos (2)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S1 special features now on a different set:
Netherlands Sales Pitch (4:34) NOW ON THE S5 BLU-RAY SET
Liar’s Club (2:32) NOW ON THE S3 BLU-RAY SET
Rod Serling Blooper (0:12) NOW ON THE S4 BLU-RAY SET
Billboards (3)- 1. “brought to you by Sanka”
2. “brought to you by Kimberly Clark” Kleenex (with drawing of Tissues, Towels, Napkins and Toilet Paper)
3. "was brought to you by Kimberly Clark" Kleenex (animated) ALL THREE NOW ON THE S5 BLU-RAY SET
S2 missing special features:
Twenty-Two- script (DVD-ROM)
The Jack Benny Show clip (5:10)
Billboards (10)- Veto Deodorant: “has brought you” (billboard #11 on the DVD set)
- Chesterfield Kings: “is brought to you by...” '21/20’ (billboard #12 on the DVD set)
- Chesterfield Kings: “has been brought to you by...” ‘Tabaccos Too Mild To Filter’ (billboard #13 on the DVD set)
- Contac: “is brought to you by..." (billboard #14 on the DVD set)
- Arrid: “has been brought to you by...” (billboard #15 on the DVD set)
- Palmolive Soap: “brings you...” (billboard #16 on the DVD set)
- Palmolive Rapid Shave: “has brought you...” (billboard #17 on the DVD set)
- Sanka Coffee: “is brought to you...” ‘...whole new blend of the world's finest coffees...’ (billboard #20 on the DVD set)
- Sanka Coffee: “brought to you...” '...whole new blend of the world's finest coffees...’ (billboard #21 on the DVD set)
- Oasis Cigarettes: Rod Serling (billboard #23 on the DVD set)
Photo Gallery (32)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S2 special features now on a different set:
The Mike Wallace Interview (21:00) NOW ON THE S5 BLU-RAY SET
Tell It To Groucho clip (15:10) NOW ON THE S3 BLU-RAY SET
S3 missing special features:
It’s A Good Life: It’s Still A Good Life clip (1:09) and commentary by Bill Mumy
Sci-Fi Channel Marathon spots (5:13)
Night Gallery promo spots
- Promos (2:36)
- Bumpers (4:23)
- Teasers (0:30)
- Intro (2:58)
- Station IDs (7:19)
Photo Gallery (38)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S4 missing special features:
Miniature: color scenes from syndicated version (18:16)
Billboards (1)- Micrin and Pretty Perm: “brought to you by...” *narrator says the product names reversed from the order they are shown* (billboard #23 on the DVD set)
Photo Gallery (17)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S5 missing special features:
Highlights from the Museum Of Television And Radio (11:24)
Photo Gallery (61)
Rod Serling: Submitted For Your Approval 1:26:17

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I went through all of the DVD season sets and compared them to the Blu-rays. As far as I'm concerned, this is a DEFINITIVE list of the missing features...
Great post – thank you! After holding off forever, I've just bought the Paramount reissue set. :D

Would anyone be kind enough to summarise exactly what the problems were with the original Image BDs? I know the answers are buried, piecemeal, in both this thread and this one, but would rather avoid wading right through them, taking notes. Does anyone happen to know if the problems also affected the UK, German or Oz BDs? I'll add the info to the set's comparison page at DVDCompare, so others may continue to benefit. :)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Great post – thank you! After holding off forever, I've just bought the Paramount reissue set. :D

Would anyone be kind enough to summarise exactly what the problems were with the original Image BDs?
It's been years now but the problem that I remember was with the first season episodes Long Live Walter Jameson (froze in the middle of the episode) and The Big Tall Wish (the episode froze or wouldn't play). Those problems were fairly widespread but they didn't happen to everyone. I would think that after all this time and the discs being from a new company (and I haven't heard any problems with the Paramount discs) that there shouldn't be a problem but it couldn't hurt to watch those episodes all the way through to make sure they're good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks