What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (1 Viewer)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
ronsreviews_covers_80828.jpg">

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
This isn't the first time it's happened, but this disc blew the socks off of both my DVD and the version I saw in the theater. Admittedly, it wasn't a very good theater, but I saw--and heard!--detail that I had missed thanks to a poor projectionist and theater setup.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Jesse... I think that's one of the best compliments you can pay a transfer. If it exceeded your theater experience, then it is accomplishing a feat that home theater afficianados have been dreaming of for a very long time.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I noticed during the opening credits and song montage a lot of color macroblocking, and other weird anomolies. As soon as the opening musical number was over, all the artifacts disappeared. It was repeatable, and the disc was blemish free.

Anyone else notice this? You have to pump up the brightness a bit to see it more clearly. Either I have a bum disc, or there is an encoding defect on this title.

Dan

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Dan, I just checked it out myself and didn't have any of these artifacts. What kind of display are you using? Blu-Ray Player?

Jim C

Second Unit

Hi Dan, I have the exact same problem as you - just waiting for my replacement disc now.

Regards
JC

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
PS3 and Samsung 1080p DLP RPTV set. Projector is an Infocus IN72 (not HD, but it still looks good at 100" and accepts 1080p/60 signals)... you can REALLY see the problems blown up.

Got my disc from Amazon. Jim C, was the problem at the exact same spot as mine?

Dan

Jim C

Second Unit

Hi Dan, yep, exactly the same spot - as soon as the films starts and all through the musical number. As soon as the scene begins establishing Arthur's home, the PQ is perfect.

For me, the macroblocking evident for this duration is just unacceptable, and so the disc went back. I really hope the replacement disc fixes this, as I love the film and with the exception of the musical number, the remainder of the film looked stunning.

For the record, I'm playing the disc on a 60 gig PS3. To date, this is the only problem I have experienced with any of my Blu-ray discs (and I wish i could say the same for my HD-DVD's where I have had issues/problems with several of my discs).

Regards
JC

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
Jim C, was the problem at the exact same spot as mine?

Quote:
Hi Dan, yep, exactly the same spot - as soon as the films starts and all through the musical number. As soon as the scene begins establishing Arthur's home, the PQ is perfect.

What firmware versions are you running on your PS3'S? I read on another forum that the newest firmware fixes this...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I was using 1.32 and had the macroblocking issues with HHGTTG, but then updated to 1.51 and they disappeared!

Jim C, it's not the disc, but the PS3! Update that firmware!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks