What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: THE GHOST WRITER (1 Viewer)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Wow, I thought I understood this movie, until I read this thread . I thought it was a great movie, but I don't really know if it's a must-buy. The problem that many thrillers have is that once the element of surprise is gone, there's not much left to enjoy. Maybe I need to judge that for myself. Nevertheless, strong acting all around. I didn't even know Kim Cattrall and James Belushi were in this, and seeing Eli Wallach is always a great pleasure.

One thing that threw me off, though, was the obvious use of green screen. It's odd that after years of CG effects, one of the simpler things is so hard to get right. Or maybe it's just me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Cold have been intentional. This move ws Hitchcockian and most of his movies had that look.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Does the album cover of the score add to the openness of the ending?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine

Is someone dead if there is no body?

The score album cover captures time in motion?

Undead?

Zombie sequel?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In the case of that ending......

yes.

Also, you probably should spoilerize that first line. I'm sure there are a lot of people that still haven't seen this film.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Anyone else make the connection between the conspiracy plot of the movie and the the parallel with the production of the movie?

Trouble for the writer = trouble for the director?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wasn't that addressed in the introduction section of the review?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The review doesn't allude to that.

I just find it highly coincidental that when Polanski works on this movie there is a concerted effort to stymie him that has never been seen before.

Especially when Blair's actual memoir hits the street last week, and having seen the movie, art imitating life (and vice-versa) takes on a new dimension.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Yumbo

Anyone else make the connection between the conspiracy plot of the movie and the the parallel with the production of the movie?

Trouble for the writer = trouble for the director?

What I mostly noticed, that might have a parallel to his life, is the turmoil caused by a criminal accusation and the type of responses that follow.  

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Finally watched this yesterday. It went off the deep end, but I enjoyed it anyway. :) The re-dubbed f-bombs (there were two that I noticed) made me laugh but didn't detract from the film. Kim Cattrall's phony accent was hilarious; other comments I'll spoilerize.

I want to mention that the three featurettes were really fantastic -- some of the best 10-minute extras I've ever seen (aside from the incessant movie clips between comments). I especially liked Robert Harris' description of how the story came together.

Just a quick note on Polanski's legal "adventures" -- if you can find the recent Larry King (!) interview with his victim and her lawyer, check it out. They go into great detail about what really happened and all the legal maneuverings that have followed. (Yes, Larry King!)

The "Omnipotent, sinister CIA" cliche bores me in general. I just treated the film as fantasy and let it slide. That Cattrall invited MacGregor to the party at the end made me wonder if she wasn't Ruth's handler herself. The guy who shot Brosnan is an interesting question -- I'm inclined to believe that he was a lone wacko, but that theory leaves open the question of how he managed to get into an airport with a rifle, let alone an airport where a major political figure is about to appear. Most likely a formerly lone wacko who had help.

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
What do you think are the chances for this, which I consider one of Polanski's finest works, to get the UHD upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks