1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Michael Osadciw, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce
    These would have been nice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I rather liked the clean simplicity of the Studio Classics cover. One of the reasons I held on to it.

3. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    In his DVD Talk review, Stuart Galbraith says the 5.1 track had added sound effects, giving as a specific example the scene in which Klaatu first emerges from the saucer. He states that the 5.1 track adds sounds of tank and other military vehicle engines idling, not present in the original. I listened to the original mono track of the SD Fox Studio Classics disc and heard no such effects. Can anyone confirm that the BD 5.1 track has added effects here and/or elsewhere?

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    In July AMC had some sci-fi movies and I recorded several hoping they’d have some intros. I watched this movie today and it did have a good intro. So I couldn’t just watch the intro had to watch the movie. There’s a scene late in the movie when Gort is carrying Patricia Neal away from the camera and we see Gort’s back. In previous releases this revealed a big boo boo and we get the see the seem in Gort’s back. On the TCM version it’s gone, it’s fixed. I checked out the blu ray and it too is fixed. However on the blue the wires holding up Patricia are in-your-face easy to see. Went back to the TCM version and they are visible but harder to see.

I don’t remember (no surprise there) this being discussed before. I’m glad they fixed the seam but if you’re going to do that, why not fix the wires?