What's new

HTF Blu Ray Review: The 6th Day (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ronsreviews_covers_1791051.jpg">

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Let it be said that no Blu-ray should get a 5 star rating on bonus features if a) the original theatrical trailer isn't included and b) any extras from the SD version are dropped (in this case, the trailer and an isolated music score with commentary from Trevor Rabin). Also, can you clarify what you mean by "Perhaps my main complaint about so many HD films once again surfaces here, in that while the vast majority is very sharp and clean, facial details are almost always given short treatment"? I thought one of the wow factors for HD, and Blu-ray in particular, was how you could see every pore and skin imperfection on actors' faces now.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's true, but you cant blame the format, rather its the film itself. The simple fact is that directors and cinematographers often use tricks in addition to makeup that prevents you from getting that effect. One classic is intentionally soft lenswork, others include actually putting gels like vaseline over the lens! It's very jarring when you swap back and forth from super sharp wide shots to a closeup and you realize that you arent seeing as much detail in the closer shot. In cases like this HD is able to resolve more detail than is actually present in the source material!

I'm not a stickler for having the trailers but I agree with you this one should be available at least via BD Live if not on the disk. As far as calling this a 5 or not because it loses some of the features available on previous versions you have to understand that A. sometimes those features are licensed only for the original release and it may be impossible to get them again (shouldnt be the case with a trailer, I know) and B. that previous version was marketed as a special edition, this one is not, and yet we get most of those features 'for free', which is why it's definitely a high 5 in my book.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yep. Not much you can do about that. At least they're not trying to artificially manipulate the director's intention. You're seeing the director's intention, which in this case was probably not to make Arnie look as long in the tooth as he is. :laugh:

As for my intention, I have no desire to pick up such marginal titles on BD or any other format. Life is too short! ;)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

You're partially incorrect there--THE 6TH DAY was released on a standard release DVD, then, about a year later, re-released as a Special Edition. On both editions, the isolated score w/commentary and original trailer were present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks