What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Starship Troopers (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'll be watching it tonight but from the looks of things it appears there isn't a lip sync issue which is great news.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I looked at it again last night. The actor is Michael Ironside. The lip movements do not match the words (we're talking about one line), but it looks like a matter of sloppy post-production dubbing rather than a lip synch issue. The dialogue before and after that one line match up perfectly.

I have the SD DVD and will look at it tonight to see if there is any difference.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Another crisis averted! Not the first, nor will it be the last time post production dubbing didnt match.

Must be selling well, Amazon is out of stock.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I'm willing to bet it's on the SD as well, I thought I remember one line of that movie being off.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

If someone can give me a better idea of where this occurs in the film (e.g. the timecode), I can check my UK BD import to see if it exhibits the same problem. Initial reports had indicated that the sync issue did not occur on the import.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

It's at 1:34:03. The line is "Rico, you know what to do." I checked the old standard DVD tonight and it's the same, so as Tony first suggested it's a dubbing issue, not a lip synch issue.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
No problems with lip sync here, either. Disc looked great and the movie was just as much fun as I remembered.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Richard. I just checked my UK BD, and, yes, the dubbing looks a bit shaky in that scene. Well, it is good to know there is not an issue with the Sony BD. It is back on my 'Wish List' as a result. Thanks to everyone involved in clearing up this issue. Sony remains a consistent, positive force for Blu-ray Disc. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so it can be discussed here without needing to go to the other site.

from that linked post.

"Now, on the Sony US disk, things look normal up until Rasczak calls out to fall back. Ace steps in front of him, he looks over the wall, sees the second wave, then it's as if someone has hit the skip back button on your remote: we hear Rasczak calling out to fall back, but while he is speaking this, instead of seeing him waving, we again see the bug that came over the wall getting shot up, falling into the compound, Rasczak and Ace firing, Rasczak running out of ammo, and Ace stepping up in front of him. Then things play out as normal from there."

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link. However, I'll be darn if I can tell any diff.
Is the UK BD the same as the US BD for PQ?
Is the UK the import I was thinking of or was there an Aussie?
Thanks.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
There clearly is a difference, though I doubt that most viewers would even notice it. If it hadn't been pointed out, I probably could have watched it a dozen times and not caught it.

In my SD DVD version, when Rasczak yells "Fall back into the compound," he is in the frame and we then see him jump down. In the BD version, he is off screen when he yells "Fall back into the compound" and instead of seeing Rasczak jump down, we see a shot of him standing next to Ace Levy, both firing their weapons -- which is the exact same shot of the two of them we had just seen before Rasczak went to the wall to assess the situation.

I turned on both commentaries to see if I had missed anyone mentioning it, but nothing.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Are you serious? I caught this right away last night when I was viewing it. I don't understand how anyone could miss it. I was hoping I just had a bad disc but after this mornings reading here and that "other" thread I see that isn't the case. :angry:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt see it and never would have noticed it if not for the mention of it by someone else.

but it is clear a few frames are missing, while the audio is still there.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I just watched this disc last night and I think these problems are much ado about very little, frankly. The disc looks very good, overall.

Fans of this movie shouldn't feel any compunction about picking this one up.

--Jefferson Morris

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I didn't notice it until it was pointed out; however, now that I am aware of the problem it is going to annoy me when I watch this film. I think SONY should press a corrected run of these discs and allow anyone who purchased the early disc to exchange it for a corrected copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks