What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Star Trek (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Thanks for taking the words right out of my mouth, Jesse. I had though the movie made that abundantly clear. Maybe it's an understanding there can be different timelines with the same characters taking different courses which goes all the way back to TOS. The Shatner Kirk and Nimoy Spock universe still exists. The universe in the new movie is just a divergent timeline with the same names, people and general ideas.

The Mirror Universe is a major alternate timeline which doesn't really affect the "real" one. TNG had a new timeline in Yesterday's Enterprise and showed many, many more in Parallels.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

To be fair, the movie makes it clear that it's a different timeline, just not why the tech is more advanced.
My feeling is that it doesn't matter. Why did the Mirror Universe Enterprise have different decals or uniforms than the "real" universe? Why was the Ent-D in Yesterday's Enterprise at war with the Klingons? Because those were the "rules" in those timelines. Yes, the movie takes place between ENT and TOS, if you put everything into one timeline. But since it is a different timeline, the tech does not need to line up between them.

Then again, I've been with the franchise since 1984 or so, when I was about 5...25 years of timelines and such will do this kind of thing to you. :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, the movie makes clear that it's a diff timeline. I was using the "prequel" term a bit loosely.

However, I think it does matter, if we're gonna get nerdy about it.

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/294886/htf-blu-ray-review-star-trek/30#post_3630095

If Paramount EVER got the cajones to do that, I'd be all in. One, massive, franchise spanning, generation spanning battle royale bringing everyone into the fold for an epic story. Borg, Q, Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Breen, Gorn, Dominion, Prophets...Gamma Quadrant, Delta Quadrant, Alpha Quadrant...Kirk x 2, Spock x 2, Picard, Sisko, Nog, T'Pol, Reed, Chakotay, Kim...yes. I just have no clue what story would be big enough for everything to come together like that. (It would have to be a comic since there's no way any movie/series can afford every character and all the effects it would need.)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was saddened to see that Costco is selling these BluRays using a Cardboard replica on the stands, you gotta have them unlock the stock room for them to get you a copy. Please do not support this practice, buy it elsewhere.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I was saddened to see that Costco is selling these BluRays using a Cardboard replica on the stands, you gotta have them unlock the stock room for them to get you a copy. Please do not support this practice, buy it elsewhere.
That's new. Is there some reason for that? Is it the regular edition?

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Just opened my copy (received from Amazon) and wanted to grab the digital copy while I was watching football.

The paper insert has nothing written in the box where the download code is supposed to be printed.

Anybody else have this problem?

Brad

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Why? What's the problem?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

What's the issue Sam?

I briefly worked for Costco... and I know for a fact that DVD/CD/BD theft is HUGE for them... due to not having any theft-prevention systems other than people checking receipts at the door. I've only heard rumours of numbers, but the RUMOURED values I've head staggered me. So, the fact that they're locking up the BD edition of one of the most popular releases of the year doesn't trouble me. Sounds like logical theft-prevention of a high-traffic item.

So... like I said... I'm curious what the issue is?

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
I must have had your code, then. My first Star Trek BD set had two codes printed on top of each other; I couldn't read it, so I exchanged my set for another and all was well.

Originally Posted by Brad Porter

Just opened my copy (received from Amazon) and wanted to grab the digital copy while I was watching football.

The paper insert has nothing written in the box where the download code is supposed to be printed.

Anybody else have this problem?

Brad

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

I would be more apt to not buy it from them based on the fact that they were selling it for about $10 higher than it was available anywhere else. That's a practice I will not support.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I loved the film in the cinema

and got the Steel Book Blu-Ray at the start of this week

watched it at home, a fantastic movie the second time around, and a really crisp transfer with excellent sound

still watching the special features on the second disc - alot to get through!

a question about the third disc - the "digital bonus" copy

it gives a code to allow copying to either Mac or PC

if I lend my copy to my buddy who has a Mac, and he copies it, can I then copy it to my PC when he returns the disc? or is there some validation system through the internet that will stop me copying it to my disc

sorry if this is basic knowledge but I have not used a digital copy disc before!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks