What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: Star Trek: The Original Series Season One (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Very pleased with the way the episodes look. I'll have to thoroughly check out disc 7 though--it was rattling around loose in the case.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Here's a weird problem I encountered.
On two different disks, when the angle picture goes away, the sound drops out.
In other words, the angle tag is cueing the audio too.
I don't know if this is my players (a Samsung and a Pioneer) or the disks themselves.
I wish I had a choice of not using the angle flipper at all, just watching either the original or redone versions straight through.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You have a choice of selecting which version to watch. it's in the menu, unless I am not understanding what you're saying. You can select enhanced effects or original effects.
On the times that I can get the angle button to work, I have not experienced any audio drops on my Sony BD player.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Seems to work better on my Samsung than on the Pioneer.
I suppose it's just firmware glitches.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Over at AVS, a number of people are reporting audio dropouts using the Pioneer 51FD. That includes me. I won't be watching any more eps untill this gets fixed.

Also, it seems the frequency of the dropouts is related to the receiver used. For example, Onkyo's seem more problematic than others. I'm using a Pioneer VSX-91TXH and only got 1 dropout when watching Where No Man Has Gone Before but those using an Onkyo say they got dropouts at EVERY branching point!

I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd add another discovery.
On my Angle button issues with changing from Digital effects to original effects, I found that if I use the pop-up menu and hi-light the camera icon on the upper left of the menu, that does the job on my Sony BD player. I'll be checking on other episodes to make sure this really works before I try a firmware check and update if there is one.
One thing though, it's really nice to see the original effects and in some cases, they are better!
Also at the end of The Naked Time, there is a very nice tribute to Majel Roddenberry. The First Lady of Star Trek.

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart
I am about to purchase the american boxset instead of the brazilian one (very expensive and it will only be released 2 months from now), so I need to ask you if all supplements (from all discs) are subtitled, and if they are, can you tell if they have the same portuguese subtitles from the episodes? Sometimes the reviews (and even covers) do not specify that kind of info, which is also important for me.
Thanks! :cool::emoji_thumbsup:

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
John Stuart said:
I am about to purchase the american boxset instead of the brazilian one (very expensive and it will only be released 2 months from now), so I need to ask you if all supplements (from all discs) are subtitled, and if they are, can you tell if they have the same portuguese subtitles from the episodes?
I haven't looked at any yet, but the case says that not all special features are subtitled.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
On my first gen PS3, pressing the angle button on the Bluetooth remote gets the picture switch for only a second or two and then it switches back. Can't get it to stay there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
John Stuart said:
Thanks for reporting that, Edward. That's the same thing that happens for me on my Sony BD player. The work around that always works is to go to the pop-up menu, navigate to the left and scroll up to the camera icon, select that and it switches to the other versions and sticks through out the episode. Do this while the episode is playing. I checked it again and it seems to be a stable way to do this. An extra effort for sure.
There is no lag or delay or sound issues. It plays seamlessly for me.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe_G

Second Unit
Tom M said:
Over at AVS, a number of people are reporting audio dropouts using the Pioneer 51FD. That includes me. I won't be watching any more eps untill this gets fixed.
Also, it seems the frequency of the dropouts is related to the receiver used. For example, Onkyo's seem more problematic than others. I'm using a Pioneer VSX-91TXH and only got 1 dropout when watching Where No Man Has Gone Before but those using an Onkyo say they got dropouts at EVERY branching point!
I hope this gets resolved quickly.
I started watching the set last night, starting with the first two episodes on disc 1 - "Man Trap" and "Charlie X". I experienced audio dropouts on both episodes - 4 times on "Man Trap" and even more on "Charlie X". I'm using a Pioneer BDP-51FD player and Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver.
I don't know about anyone else, but my dropouts always happen on a cut scene. I'll be watching an episode, with audio and a shot will pop up of the Enterprise orbiting the planet or any other Enterprise exterior shot - still with sound. As soon as it cuts to the next scene, which usually takes place on board the Enterprise, my audio drops out.:frowning:
Like everyone else, I hope this gets resolved. I'm done watching the set until it does. It just completely takes me out of it and it sucks having to stop playback and restarting it every 5 min or so.
Also, what's the deal with the low volume coming from the center channel? The volume is low on the ST:XI trailer as well. I have to crank up the sound just to hear it, well, on the episodes.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Joe_G said:
I don't know about anyone else, but my dropouts always happen on a cut scene. I'll be watching an episode, with audio and a shot will pop up of the Enterprise orbiting the planet or any other Enterprise exterior shot - still with sound. As soon as it cuts to the next scene, which usually takes place on board the Enterprise, my audio drops out.:frowning:
That sounds like your player is unable to handle the branching--it can't complete the jump at the end of the effects shot in time.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
No problems on either of my Sony players. I have watched about 6 or 7 episodes so far. Looks, and sounds better than ever!
Best Blu-ray i own. Period!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know in the past that some members here have commented their displeasure that the DVD's in the past all had the music wrong on the early first season episodes due to the flux and change as the series was still developing and wishing they would correct the inclusion of that music. The early DVD producers went ahead and replaced the titles music with a new version that was the standard theme for the first season, in likelyhood so it was remixed for 5.1 surround.
My buddy had also mentioned to me that he thought the music sounded wrong at the beginning of The Menagerie Pt 2, that it sounded like an alternate take of the opening music from The Doomsday Machine.
So what I did for him was check The Menagerie last night, part 2 in mono sound. And to my surprise, the music is different! The epsiode mixed for 5.1 has a different sound and the music is different. The mono music at the beginning of The Menagerie Pt 2 is what you normally hear at the beginning of The Squire of Gothos or Areana for example! I compared it to the very first DVD's from 1999.
So the next test should be rewatching the first 6 or so episodes in mono to check the titles music. This is really cool!
By the way, I also watched The Enemy Within and yes, the image is not quite as good as the others. I also viewed Balance of Terror, one of my favorites and it looks so solid and sharp! The red lighting used on the darkened bridge and Kirk's quarters looks magnificent!
edit: Holy cow, I just realized those first DVD's started to come out 10 years ago! That's quite an explosion of DVD iterartions in the past 10 years for Star Trek TOS!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Nelson Au said:
Thanks Gary for the feedback. Yes, I agree that you'd think if a PS3 can do the angle change, why can't a dedicated Sony BD player!
I'll check on the firmware and keep trying to see if I can get it to work. Not too big a deal, but it would be nice if it works like it does for you.
I'm glad to hear if works fine for you. And I appreciate knowing once you make the switch, it stays.
The PS3 has a LOT more horsepower.
Doug

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched The Man Trap and Charlie X so far (and bits of WNMHGB), and while the BD picture is stunning, I thought Man Trap wasn't as crisp as the others. Also, am I doing something wrong with the audio? I have to turn up the volume pretty loud to get a decent volume (playing in DTS, not mono). Great release though; here's hoping the next two volumes are as good.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
On the second disc there is a LED light with no header attached to it. Press it and you get the collection of new effects put together to music.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Sam: Yes, I have the same "issue" with audio - it is VERY quiet. I have to turn up the audio +10 db over the usual listening volume. It can be quite a shock when you go to the main menu after an episode finishes playing!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks